best carb setup for woods racing/riding

shadowbanshee

Currently have dual 30mm oko carbs with single large k and n air filter with outerwears and no lid on box. Is it better to go back to stock with pods, trinity 2 into 1 setup or what any advise would help planning on doing hare scrambles next year. Also I have 18 in tires on it cause I was planning on doing mx. R these too small?

• 2 weeks later...

Currently have dual 30mm oko carbs with single large k and n air filter with outerwears and no lid on box. Is it better to go back to stock with pods, trinity 2 into 1 setup or what any advise would help planning on doing hare scrambles next year. Also I have 18 in tires on it cause I was planning on doing mx. R these too small?

??? Any help would be appreciated guys

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm kinda in the same situation, I think I'm going to go with a set of 28mm Keihin Carbs on my Hare Scramble Banshee. I've researched the crap out of it and in my own opinion I think the twin 28mm Keihin set up will benefit our set ups and riding/racing style. I have a friend who competing against me trying to see who puts together the best trail Banshee and he's going with a big Trinity Single Carb. I guess I'll find out soon enough how it competes against a dual carb set up. I run the stock air box lid with a Outerwears lid upgrade with a foam Ready Filter and it works great for me. The 18" rears will be to small, if you put a aftermarket skid plat on the swing arm you will beat it to death.

I Punched my motor .020 and sleeved the cylinders and put Paul Turner Mids and Fat Boy Silencers on my Banshee along with Billet Chariot Reed Cages/Boyesen Power Reeds/Chariot Billet Reed Cage Spacers, Hot Rods Forged Crank, Wiseco Pro-Lite Forged Pistons, Trinity Stage IV Cool Head/20cc Domes, NGK Iridium Plugs, Magnum Boost Bottle, High Output Ricky Stator, Dynatec Ignition Coil on and in my motor to make sure it held up and performed in the Scrambles. If you plan on your bike holding together invest in some skid plates, and cooling mods.

Good Luck,

Jim Thacker

As previously stated you will want to ditch the 18's without a doubt. I'd run anywhere from a 21-24" rear on an 8-9" rim.

Your carb set up is fine. What are your other performance mods currently done?

The 2-1 intakes work well enough and reduce fatigue due to a lighter throttle pull.

I have a set of 28's, a set of 30's, and a 35 mm and 39 mm carb to try on the 2-1 chariot intake once I finish my build. A friend of mine knows a guy that has a chassis dyno and supposedly he will let us tune on it for free, I will see how true that is but regardless I will be doing seat dyno testing of my own to figure out which I prefer. Still getting my suspension and chassis mods in order first.

• 1 year later...

I personally ride all trails and i run a chariot intake 2 into 1 carb setup which is also a site sponsor and let me tell you they are and amazing kit 425.00 comes with everything you will need bolts gaskets carb etc, plus a bag of jets which is nice, and then i run a 22 inch tire in the rear with a beefy skid plate. light throttle pull and great response and i know alot of poeple dont like those 2 into 1s but i have no complaints at all amazing low and top end power.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

the 18's might be ok for the mx but i agree not much good for woods riding. i have been running the 22" bear claws but they are kind of a heavy tire with not much traction in the turns. on the straight away they grip hard and they last almost literally forever. i have used a single carb before and i didnt like it, seemed like it wouldnt let the bike rev out like it should and it always wanted to be lean in the mid range throttle even with an eek needle and i think thats the richest you can get.. could grind a custom needle but to me was easier to go with dual carbs. i like the 28pwk's they have been working well for me with an airbox with no lid and a foam filter. i gotta have the box in muddy woods riding. if your not ported you would probobly just stick with stock carbs

• 3 weeks later...

I'm kinda in the same situation, I think I'm going to go with a set of 28mm Keihin Carbs on my Hare Scramble Banshee. I've researched the crap out of it and in my own opinion I think the twin 28mm Keihin set up will benefit our set ups and riding/racing style. I have a friend who competing against me trying to see who puts together the best trail Banshee and he's going with a big Trinity Single Carb. I guess I'll find out soon enough how it competes against a dual carb set up. I run the stock air box lid with a Outerwears lid upgrade with a foam Ready Filter and it works great for me. The 18" rears will be to small, if you put a aftermarket skid plat on the swing arm you will beat it to death.

I Punched my motor .020 and sleeved the cylinders and put Paul Turner Mids and Fat Boy Silencers on my Banshee along with Billet Chariot Reed Cages/Boyesen Power Reeds/Chariot Billet Reed Cage Spacers, Hot Rods Forged Crank, Wiseco Pro-Lite Forged Pistons, Trinity Stage IV Cool Head/20cc Domes, NGK Iridium Plugs, Magnum Boost Bottle, High Output Ricky Stator, Dynatec Ignition Coil on and in my motor to make sure it held up and performed in the Scrambles. If you plan on your bike holding together invest in some skid plates, and cooling mods.

Good Luck,

Jim Thacker

Your friend is ass up with that trinity manifold. Your twin 28's are definitely the hot ticket. There is a 2/1 manifold that does work though.... It is off a Yamaha 440 Exciter and requires a touch of work. It also requires a carb in the 39mm + range.