Cool head VS stock milled head

SLORYDER

Do you think a cool head is right for you?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You cant learn shit if you keep telling everyone how wrong they are. I sounds to me like your just trying your best to convince everyone. You should just let it go, you believe what you believe and thats cool. But the majority dont agree which should be cool but obviously its not. You have dudes that have very respected opinions and you just keep saying I disagree. Thats no way to learn a damn thing IMO. :shootself:

At least you have enough sense to post a somewhat intelligent answer.

However you are one of the ones saying that milling the stock head is a ghetto mod, which is clearly bs.

Somebody needs to go against the grain and speak the truth.

looks like people like you don't have the balls and are too scared of what people think.

Pathetic.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least you have enough sense to post a somewhat intelligent answer.

However you are one of the ones saying that milling the stock head is a ghetto mod, which is clearly bs.

Somebody needs to go against the grain and speak the truth.

looks like people like you don't have the balls and are too scared of what people think.

Pathetic.

First I never said it was a ghetto mod. My words were you are a being cheap ass

WTF it seems simple solryder likes a cut stock head and others have a cool head or plan on getting one me being one of them sloryder get off this shit and let it go, go ride your banshee and just let it go how many fucking posts are u going to make on the same shit. I think the site sponsers said enough on this stuff and u just didnt listen and the bullshit of using 2 gaskets whats that shit thats ghetto modding

WTF it seems simple solryder likes a cut stock head and others have a cool head or plan on getting one me being one of them sloryder get off this shit and let it go, go ride your banshee and just let it go how many fucking posts are u going to make on the same shit. I think the site sponsers said enough on this stuff and u just didnt listen and the bullshit of using 2 gaskets whats that shit thats ghetto modding

I'm starting to wonder if he even owns one. He does a lot of running of the mouth but I've never seen a pic of his shee, just that pile of shit gocart.

Ok I am moving this discussion over to the repairs section because the other one was full of drama.

The debate is over whether or not the a cool head is a good buy for the average joe.

My theory is that not everyone needs a cool head. That you can mill the stock head or have it rechambered and have close to or right at the same hp as a cool head. The downside of the stock head is that it does not cool as well as a cool head, however I believe the gains in cooling are relatively small and will, in reality not help your engine to have a substantially longer life.

In this dyno you can see there is about an 11 hp difference between the green line and the one below it.

The one below it is a Banshee with FMF fatties & K&N filters

The green line is FMF Fatties, K&N filters, v force 3 reeds, +4 timing key, Vitos Superstock pistons and a cool head with pump gas domes.

Now it is well known that the vitos superstock pistons will give you 5-6 hp. So that leaves 5 to 6 hp gain from the cool head, timing and reeds. I'm willing to bet that the cool heads gain was no more than 4 horsepower, which is perhaps one more than a stock milled head, if that.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130851

You've also got to figure in the ability to change domes for relatively cheap. A used set of domes only cost around 50 bucks shipped. So you can have a pump gas setup and a race fuel setup, around 4 and 8 horsepower respectively (assuming 8 on the race fuel)

My alternative method is to cut the stock head .030", for around a 6hp gain, and requiring he use of a blend of race fuel and premium unleaded. If pump gas would be desired, a head gasket .010" thicker would give the extra head volume to allow pump gas to be run. This .020" milling is what is generally what is used to run premium unleaded.

I have heard of several people going .020" and .030" with no problems. Some say there may be issues with going .030", and this is the right place to discuss this.

Another option is to send your stock head off to be rechambered, which will give you the same gains as the cool head, for around 85 dollars. If I were going with a race fuel setup, or any kind of cub or 4mill build, this is what i'd recommend hands down.

I would like to keep this discussion civil.

milling .020" what hp increase will it ad running premium unleaded

All I'm saying is that if I had $250, i would rather spend it on milling the stock head and porting. You'd get way more power by going this route than buying a cool head.

I'd say at least half of banshees in the US are not ported. I'd say at least half of those have a cool head. That's thousands and thousands of people who are missing out on a lot of hp because they bought a cool head instead of just milling and porting.

Not everyone wants to go all out.

that's all I'm saying.

I'm sure plenty of non-banshee hq'ers would agree with me. People who live in the real world.

Ok and Daj, please teell me what question it is that I am avoiding.

I have a lot of mechanical experience.

I have rebuilt v-twins, including porting and polishing, combustion chamber work including unshrouding the valves by hand (by the way that was the fastest kfx730 in my area). I have gone through 2 years of trade school for automotives, as well as did several blaster rebuilds, LT80's, and a couple of banshees.

I have a good mechanical sense when it comes to stuff like this, and I know how to sort through information and put 2 and 2 together.

The bottom line is .030" and .020" is a safe amount to mill from the stock head if the engine is otherwise stock or even ported. I would also recommend modding the timing plate when milling.

This will save you a lot of coin which you can save for a port job if you are on a budget.

John Doe: Hello, I am new to this forum. Right now I have pipes and filters, and would like to know what is the best way to spend my money for more power.

BHQ:

Welcome. I'd recommend a cool head, timing plate and porting from one of our site sponsors.

John:

Awesome guys thanks!!!

Calls up Jeff at FAST $230 cool head $20 timing plate $300 dune porting

$550dollars and a lot of hard work later this guy has a good running 65 horsepower engine.

My way milled head $50 mod timing plate FREE RB racing hot dune port $250

$300 later a good running 65 hp engine.

Now you can take that extra $250 dollars and get a nice set of paddles, or a swingarm ect.

This is the point I am trying to get acros.

With that last post, You have it all wrong man.

When I got my dune port dune on stock cyls, HJR offered to mill the head to save me cash. I ended up getting the cool head for the fact it was simple to install, and I could use it later for whatever build I did. It looked nice as well. It is not like ANYONE told me I had to do it.

If someone post wanting advice about saving cash and mods, milled heads always come up. No one post saying a cool head is a must. If that is what you think is going on, you need to look again. Everything we post are suggestions. Most are from our own set-ups. Most people will buy/pay for convenience. It is not a lack of know-how. If they want to try and do it themselves, they normally post questions about it and get answers.

People will always go with what they can afford regardless of advise. You can not assume people believe whatever they read and run out and do it. You look like a hypocrite IMO. You have tons of post about "do not believe everything you read". You are the only person here giving bias advise to people instead of options. People like to make a choice. You are trying to force yours.

I have dealt with alot of sponsors here, and they always look out for my best interest. You make it sound like they are in it for the cash only. Kevin and Jeff even helped me for over a year in deciding what I wanted to do before dropping any cash.