SUNOCO RACE GAS

trickedcarbine

I buy my Sunoco 110 race fuel in five gallon batches, but sometimes it sits for a while if life gets busy. The problem is, if it gets more then a few weeks old, the bike just runs wierd, sputters, detonates, gets hot, etc. Any one else having a problem with the sunoco fuel not keeping it's octane? I just find it weird that my buddies dad can use the same drum of vp fuel all season and i can only get a few weeks at most.

I buy my race fuel by the 55 gallon drum. I have run the sunoco standard (purple 110 octane) I never had a problem of it going bad. The fuel would last for a year easly in the plastic barrel that it came in.

I have ran VP110, VP C12, VP Red, Citgo 110, Sunoco Standard, and Turbo Blue (also made by sunoco). All with good results and no ill running affects. I do buy a big bottle of Stabil and dump in the barrel. You spend 400 bucks on a barel of fuel doesnt make sence so skip out on a 8 dollar bottle of stabil. Weather it is needed or not who knows, but it doesnt hurt.

With VP you pay for the name.

Verry

Pricy

Where are you getting your fuel 5 gallons at a time? Are you just buying it 5 gallons at a time from some one who pumps it from a barrel. If you really think it is fuel related I would question your suplyer before the brand of fuel. Sunoco is a name brand, and makes good stuff. I would be real easy to blend a little pump fuel in to make better profit margins.

josh

I buy Sunoco 110 out of the pump nearby me usually the week before I go riding. I had some left over in April, and just used it at the end of June. I have used Sunoco 110 that sat around in my 5 gallon plastic scribner jugs for 90+ days with no issues.

Edited by Snopczynski

I think that it is probably supplier related also. Race gas tends to hold up better than this junk we get at the gas stations now. I've ran fuel that had set some time... not in a banshee however, it was a race car. As far as Stabil, I personally would stay away from it (nothing against jbooker). I work at a Marine center and that stuff doesn't work! It separates and I have personally used it and had gas go bad on me. Now it may be different in race fuel, but I'm not willing to try it. We took some out of one boat and the Stabil was all attached to the ethanol and the gas was separated up above it. No, ethanol in race gas, but it makes me not want to use it. I'm going to start using seafoam as a stabilizer myself. I've been using Startron to fight phase separation of the gas and ethanol.

I think that it is probably supplier related also. Race gas tends to hold up better than this junk we get at the gas stations now. I've ran fuel that had set some time... not in a banshee however, it was a race car. As far as Stabil, I personally would stay away from it (nothing against jbooker). I work at a Marine center and that stuff doesn't work! It separates and I have personally used it and had gas go bad on me. Now it may be different in race fuel, but I'm not willing to try it. We took some out of one boat and the Stabil was all attached to the ethanol and the gas was separated up above it. No, ethanol in race gas, but it makes me not want to use it. I'm going to start using seafoam as a stabilizer myself. I've been using Startron to fight phase separation of the gas and ethanol.

Yea it could have been due to the ethanol. Sta Bil makes a marine version that is supose to be used with ethanol, in a humid marine enviroment. I have never had stabil gunk up the carbs or seperate out.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/products.aspx#marine_formula

I have had excellent luck with Stabil also. I usually don't put it in every jug of fuel, but come late summer or fall I usually put it in all the bike gas because I don't know when the next time I will use it. I also put it in the lawnmower, pressure washer, weedwhacker over the winter and everything I use it in starts right up in the spring with no problems. I did work on a customers Raptor this spring that did not have it in it and the carbs were a total mess with all kinds of deposits in them.

Hmm, well thanks for the input fellas. Makes me wonder if there may be something else goin on. The fuel is stored in plastic, but always in the garage outta the sun.

Don't know if this will help you but, I had the same problem with Torco 110 and VP 110. I finaly ended up switching plastic gas cans. I was using the "Parts Unlimited" twin handle plastic tanks (blue in color). I'd get fuel that was dark purple and within 2-3 weeks it was a light pink/brown and wasn't crystal clear any more, it was milky.

I tried everything. Cleaned the cans out with a brush and brake cleaner, flushed them, covered them to prevent the sun from breaking down the fuel, they were only stored in the garage out of the sun. Still had problems.

My best friend only rides when I do, at the same places, at the same times, runs the same fuel, runs the same oil, and stores his the same way. He never has an issue. I finaly asked myself...."What is the one difference between him and me?"

The answer was.....He's not running the same brand fuel jug!

He was using a VP jug. (blue in color like mine) So now I own 3 new VP clear/white jugs and I'm not having any issues.

I did a test where I left glasses of fuel sit out open for a week and the fuel acted the same as it did in my old cans. So the best I can guess is...Those jugs were somehow letting the fuel breath and all the mineral spirits were evaporating out and letting moistier in. (That's all just a guess...All I know for sure is MY PROBLEM ONLY HAPPENED IN THE PARTS UNLIMITED JUGS)

Hope that helps you out.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used tons of Sunoco and VP and i never had any bad VP racegas, one time i bought some Sunoco from a local speed shop who stores the gas in drums in and old enclosed trailer, i use a funnel with a screen in it when i was filling tank my funnel clogged up then started going in so when the funnel emptied i expected to see some debri in there NOTHING but clear liquid i put my finger in and smelled was water so i dumped out hole batch!