34mm Keihin PJ carb jetting

I need help badly....I have basically a stock motor. It starts first kick everytime & idles perfect. It takes off fine with no bogging or nothing. A perfect bottom end, but its when I get to about a 1/4 throttle thru W.O.T. It sputters, break up, spit back, backfire, & has no power at all. I know its the jetting, but I dont have a clue to what size larger main jet to start with. It will only run 69-70mph the way it is now with a 1/8-1/4 throttle. I checked for air leaks & the motor is tight.

My setup is:

Coolhead w/21cc domes

Wiseco pro lite pistons

V-F 2's reeds (reeds are new)

Boss Racing intake w/ built in crossver tube

34mm Keihin PJ carbs (#55 pilots / #152 mains

Dual K&N filters w/ airbox removed

adjustable timing plate @ 0 degrees(stock)

RM Stator (stator)

RM Stator adjustable CDI box

16T-40T sprocket gearing

I need help badly....I have basically a stock motor. It starts first kick everytime & idles perfect. It takes off fine with no bogging or nothing. A perfect bottom end, but its when I get to about a 1/4 throttle thru W.O.T. It sputters, break up, spit back, backfire, & has no power at all. I know its the jetting, but I dont have a clue to what size larger main jet to start with. It will only run 69-70mph the way it is now with a 1/8-1/4 throttle. I checked for air leaks & the motor is tight.

My setup is:

Coolhead w/21cc domes

Wiseco pro lite pistons

V-F 2's reeds (reeds are new)

Boss Racing intake w/ built in crossver tube

34mm Keihin PJ carbs (#55 pilots / #152 mains

Dual K&N filters w/ airbox removed

adjustable timing plate @ 0 degrees(stock)

RM Stator (stator)

RM Stator adjustable CDI box

16T-40T sprocket gearing

Test your coil and stator.

What needles are you running?

The standard needles that came in them (48CEG needles)........I need help badly.....I checked my plugs yesterday & they are dark, which from my understanding im running too rich on the pilot jet. My pilot is a #55...@ 1.5 turns out.

Both of my cousins are killing me. One have a Honda 450r(piped & jetted) & the other one has a Raptor 660(piped & jetted). Leaving the line I smoke'em everytime thru the gears @ 1/8-1/4 throttle, but top side them 4strokes making me look bad.

I would say that your plugs are black due to the 55 pilot, and since you have been riding at under 1/4 throttle your riding on or around the pilot jet.

I would try CEK needles. You have CGL's. CEK's work pretty good in pj's. They are a shorter needle. Since your all the way rich on the needle now you need to install a shorter needle and reinstall them in the middle clip. They both have the same taper, but the CEK's will be a little richer around 1/4 throttle because they are a smaller diameter.

Welcome to PJ carbs. Mine drove me nuts until I dialed them in. It's impossible for any of us to give the absolute fix but here are a few things to check. Go for the easy adjust no money items 1st. Check your choke. On the PJ's your choke is your only fuel/air adjustment. Clockwise is more air. If all the way counter clockwise then try turning clockwise to increase your air at idle. I mark mine with white-out so I can turn them equally. See if it makes a diff on your black plugs. Most likely you need to drop a size or 2 on your pilot though. Do 1 thing at a time. Even though the Pilot/Needle & Main are diff circuits they do affect the next circuit. Once your idle seems good (steady), try lowering your needle clip 1 position. This will increase your fuel from 1/4 to 3/4ish. If better but still sputtering, raise again. If still no good then you may need to go to a shorter or thinner tapered needle. You can find a needle chart on Sudco's website in their parts pdf catalog. I would only do this after your pilot is dialed in because it does affect the mid throttle too. Once pilot & needle are set, then address your main. Sputtering = too lean & bog = too rich. Once all is dialed in, use your choke/air/fuel knobs to fine tune for idle for minor elevation & temperature changes. Obviously before any of this, check for: air leaks, float height & unclogged jets 1st. Hope this helps.

Welcome to PJ carbs. Mine drove me nuts until I dialed them in. It's impossible for any of us to give the absolute fix but here are a few things to check. Go for the easy adjust no money items 1st. Check your choke. On the PJ's your choke is your only fuel/air adjustment. Clockwise is more air. If all the way counter clockwise then try turning clockwise to increase your air at idle. I mark mine with white-out so I can turn them equally. See if it makes a diff on your black plugs. Most likely you need to drop a size or 2 on your pilot though. Do 1 thing at a time. Even though the Pilot/Needle & Main are diff circuits they do affect the next circuit. Once your idle seems good (steady), try lowering your needle clip 1 position. This will increase your fuel from 1/4 to 3/4ish. If better but still sputtering, raise again. If still no good then you may need to go to a shorter or thinner tapered needle. You can find a needle chart on Sudco's website in their parts pdf catalog. I would only do this after your pilot is dialed in because it does affect the mid throttle too. Once pilot & needle are set, then address your main. Sputtering = too lean & bog = too rich. Once all is dialed in, use your choke/air/fuel knobs to fine tune for idle for minor elevation & temperature changes. Obviously before any of this, check for: air leaks, float height & unclogged jets 1st. Hope this helps.

How do I remove the needles from the PJ slides?

6mm socket or needle nose pliers to take the slides apart.

ceg is a rich needle down low and 55 pilot is huge for a stock motor

you need to be working a leaner pilot or a different needle

• 4 months later...

6mm socket or needle nose pliers to take the slides apart.

ceg is a rich needle down low and 55 pilot is huge for a stock motor

you need to be working a leaner pilot or a different needle

Come to find out that the CDI box from RM Stator was the problem the whole time.....it limited my RPM's badly....I installed my cousins whole electrical system & it open right up....now the jetting is rich....but since then I done got a new stock CDI box, HJR dune port & T5's, it's still rich. Im just gonna work my way down on the pilot until it looks closer to a caramel color.

How long do I have to ride the bike to get a complete reading on new plugs for different throttle postion's before the plug chop?

i always check my plugs some time after two hours of good running they go out some times i take note over the condition and adjust but I'm fine if i run a jet or needle riche. and a cgk meedle is longer than a cek like running it on the 2rd clip :confused:

• 2 years later...

i have an 89 banshee with a fresh bore[ about 10 hrs on it ] 30 over wiseco pistons, cool head with 20 domes, v-force 3 reeds, 34mm pjs, and full fmf exhaust. the problem im having is from idle to half to three quarter throttle it bogs and breaks up bad. i have to clutch it to get the rpms up then it flies. it sucks having no bottom end at all. i think its a 160 main and a 55 or 60 pilot with the pin that came with the carbs. im also running the stock air box with a k@n filter. and i have the individual filters also but seemed to suck to much air. if anyone has any advice that would be great....thank you....