question about what oil to use with methanol

hi guys apparently when you run methanol you need to run a different type of 2 stroke oil i was wondering what brands and models are compatible with methanol, also for dirt oval racing what is a good recomended fuel/oil ratio, it will be ran in a 421 cub with a 4mm stroker crank 5mm long rods

Yea you have to run an oil that is compatable with methanol. Most oils are not. If you mix the wrong type it is like mixing oil and water.

Klotz Supertechniplate (80% synthetic techniplate oil 20% benol caster oil)

Klotz Benol Caster Oil (100% Caster oil)

Maxima 927 Caster Oil

I am not for sure what ratio most people use. Most that I have seen dont go any leaner than 32:1. Some have mentioned running 20:1.

You will also need to purge the engine and carbs after your done running methanol. You just run race fuel with the same oil that your running in the methanol. That way you dont have any methanol left sitting in the carbs and engine. Methanol draws moisture out of the air wich can cause rust or crosion inside the engine and carbs.

klotz supertechniplate 36-1 dont got to 20 - 1 yu can run the chance of leaning the motor too much.. REMBER the same amount of oil/ fuel goes through the same size of hole. that is the more OIL you mix the LESS fuel you get in your motor. always run the same ratio with any bike gas/ alky you mess with it to much and it can cause you problems..

I would love to try Redline oil sometime...but, it's not as easy to get as walking into a store to pickup SuperTechniplate.

I've run Benoil in the past and currently run supertechniplate.

I run the super because it stays mixed with methanol in colder temps.

Sheefreak is right, you do not need to purge with race fuel. I've always used 87 or 92 octane (whatever I bought for my lawn mower/weedeater...lol)

Here is the critical part, though. Make sure you use the same oil in your purge mix as you do methanol.

My first year on alky I used benoil in methanol and R50 in my purge gas. R50 is NOT methanol compatible, and when the purge gas mixed with the alky and oil in the carbs it gummed them up something fierce.

I run methanol at 28:1 and my purge fuel at 20:1. I recently started using Uplon as my purge oil.

It's "upper end" lube for 4 strokes on methanol. Aside from being a secondary lubricant it also cleans the residue from methanol (it's corrosive, big time).

No lubrication issues yet...

Quite a few guys here run 20:1, it's easy...you just dump a quart into 5 gallons.

Like any other fuel/air mixture component, you just have to jet accordingly to it, that's all.

Edited by dajogejr

I use the redline alky oil @ 20:1

Dave, Its actually easier to get redline then it is klotz... just pick up a phone and you'll have it in 3 days.. lol

Summit Racing stocks the redline alky oil. It is more exspensive though.. about 70.00 for a gallon

Yah.. I'm not a amsoil fan either.. Everyone and their brother is a "authorized dealer"

Actually Shayne I just go see my good friend Rich at Richards Auto parts.

It supports a local MI business and my good friend as well!

He stocks all our fuel, oil and spark plugs.

He is also a Marshall distributor for other stuff.

I know he carries redline oil for cars. I should ask him about 2 stroke premix.

:)