Official HQ ride! Silver Lake Sand Dunes

also wondering about the spark arrestors for shearer sb inframes, whats the cheapest ones that will work. Do they check everybody for them?

I know alba had some that you could install inside your silencer. They weren't on their website, but the part number was sa-01.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know alba had some that you could install inside your silencer. They weren't on their website, but the part number was sa-01.

They clog pretty easily and sometimes if the rangers are dicks.. they wont let you pass.. even though it is approved screen. Been down that road..

Just get the clamp on's... its a sure deal.. no questions asked.. they just waive you through..

Okay, here's some of my concerns about going to Silver Lake. Hopefully someone can answer some of these questions to make me feel better about it. LOL

So I'm looking at a 6-7 hour drive to get to Silver Lake. My biggest fear is something happening and not being able to get to through the gates and ride. My bike will not pass a sound test even if I freshly pack the silencers. The CPIs with my motor are VERY loud. To give you an example, I was riding it yesterday and a friend of mine lives almost 3 miles away across 2 patches of woods and 2 subdivisions over and they could hear my bike! He called to ask if I was over at my Mom's house riding because he heard it. Anyway, how many of you have been stopped at the gate and refused entry due to sound? I don't want to play games with the people there such as waiting and trying to sweak in when they are testing someone else. Also, once your in what are the chances of someone stopping you for sound? Exactly how bad are the rules there and how bad do they really enforce them??

The last thing I want to do is drop $300-$400 in sand tires, $120 or so on sparkies, $200 in gas and all the other small expenses not to mention taking some vacation time off of work only to get turned away at the gate.... Am I over thinking this or are my thoughts legit?

Okay, here's some of my concerns about going to Silver Lake. Hopefully someone can answer some of these questions to make me feel better about it. LOL

So I'm looking at a 6-7 hour drive to get to Silver Lake. My biggest fear is something happening and not being able to get to through the gates and ride. My bike will not pass a sound test even if I freshly pack the silencers. The CPIs with my motor are VERY loud. To give you an example, I was riding it yesterday and a friend of mine lives almost 3 miles away across 2 patches of woods and 2 subdivisions over and they could hear my bike! He called to ask if I was over at my Mom's house riding because he heard it. Anyway, how many of you have been stopped at the gate and refused entry due to sound? I don't want to play games with the people there such as waiting and trying to sweak in when they are testing someone else. Also, once your in what are the chances of someone stopping you for sound? Exactly how bad are the rules there and how bad do they really enforce them??

The last thing I want to do is drop $300-$400 in sand tires, $120 or so on sparkies, $200 in gas and all the other small expenses not to mention taking some vacation time off of work only to get turned away at the gate.... Am I over thinking this or are my thoughts legit?

I agree....i'm looking REAL forward to going with you guys..if u get the spark arrestors you should be ok. I went on youtube and searched silver lake, and heard some pretty loud bikes dragging..

Your concerns are legit, but there are ways around it. The easiest way to get around sound is to put your bike in the back of a truck and drive in. I have never seen them ask anyone to start a bike up that was in the back of a truck for a sound check. But then you have to have the truck ready(extra ORV, State park pass, flag for the truck). If you don't have a truck, and if they are checking sound that day(usually only a few times a year), wait untill they pull someone over at the gate and then drive up to enter the dunes. They will not make you wait to get checked. And I have never seen them stop a bike in the dunes for a sound check. Once you are in, you are good to go. Spark arrestors are a different story, they will look for and tckt people in the dunes for no spark arrestor.

Lastly, if you have never been to the dunes somewhere, you are doing yourself an injustice. Have to experience it at least once. And whatever you do, do not schedule your trip on a holiday weekend...it is so busy, if you don't know the ropes, you may very likely get turned away.

I purchased my ORV sticker online, and figured I'd do a little "how to" for the folks like me coming from out of state:

Go to:

http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/welcome.asp

Once there, scroll down to the certification block, and click myself. DO NOT worry about the requirements...click certify and move on.

Customer log-in screen will now come up, scroll down and you will see a series of circles you can select..

select : non-michigan resident

Put in your birthdate, and on the right side select FREE MDNR (this allows you to buy the ORV sticker)

It will take you then to the shopping page, and you can select the 16.25 MAIL ONLY ORV selection.

After that you will print off your MDNR and reciept pages (after paying) and once you give your address the sticker is on the way.

Hope this helps!

Your concerns are legit, but there are ways around it. The easiest way to get around sound is to put your bike in the back of a truck and drive in. I have never seen them ask anyone to start a bike up that was in the back of a truck for a sound check. But then you have to have the truck ready(extra ORV, State park pass, flag for the truck). If you don't have a truck, and if they are checking sound that day(usually only a few times a year), wait untill they pull someone over at the gate and then drive up to enter the dunes. They will not make you wait to get checked. And I have never seen them stop a bike in the dunes for a sound check. Once you are in, you are good to go. Spark arrestors are a different story, they will look for and tckt people in the dunes for no spark arrestor.

Lastly, if you have never been to the dunes somewhere, you are doing yourself an injustice. Have to experience it at least once. And whatever you do, do not schedule your trip on a holiday weekend...it is so busy, if you don't know the ropes, you may very likely get turned away.

x2!

they will stick a tube down yur exhaust to make sure you have sparkys on even if in the back of a p/u.

I tried the ol' put screen in the silencer and an 50= yr. old woman said. toomys dont come with sparkys like this.

and turned me away befor i broke down and bout a sparky.

its no fun being that guy that is worring in the back of yur head if yur gonna make it on the dunes. banghead

Its too cold for me... maybe if it was in june or something.

lol coming from the guy with the 40' hauler! PHHHSSSSHHHH!! I will be there, with a tent, sleeping bag, beer and jagermeister.

Ohh, and group of Banshees ready to shred some sand :headbang: