banshee in pieces

xxhushxx

trying to get back in the sport after I sold all my toys when my daughter was born. here's the deal I found a 99 shee minus head carbs and rear fender for $400. I know ill be able to inspect cylinder walls for damage but I'm nervous about the bottom end . what do you guys think is it worth it ? any tips or advice would be appreciated . I miss riding so much but can't afford to blow a couple grand on a toy either. thanks in advance.

trying to get back in the sport after I sold all my toys when my daughter was born. here's the deal I found a 99 shee minus head carbs and rear fender for $400. I know ill be able to inspect cylinder walls for damage but I'm nervous about the bottom end . what do you guys think is it worth it ? any tips or advice would be appreciated . I miss riding so much but can't afford to blow a couple grand on a toy either. thanks in advance.

sounds like a pretty good deal to me stock carbs and head can be found really cheap. if i were you, id offer him $300 to start out with. also, i'd go ahead and go through the motor doing a full rebuild to make sure everything is ready to go since you're paying so little for it and it will make you be able to do pretty much anything to your bike down the road if this is your first banshee

sounds like a pretty good deal to me stock carbs and head can be found really cheap. if i were you, id offer him $300 to start out with. also, i'd go ahead and go through the motor doing a full rebuild to make sure everything is ready to go since you're paying so little for it and it will make you be able to do pretty much anything to your bike down the road if this is your first banshee

I had a 01 banshee and I miss it terribly. I found stock head and carbs pretty cheap online I guess I'm just scared that there is something major wrong on the bottom end as I work my butt off and don't make much money I don't wanna end up with a money pit . anything I can do or look for to check bottom end?

you can find everything in the bottom end for 100 bucks except the cases. When I went looking for a banshee i could fix up and rebuild i looked for two things.... Frame was straight and the Cases weren't chain whipped or damaged.

Are you saying i can replace everything in the bottom end for $100 or most individual pieces in the bottom end can be had for $100 or less each?if i can replace it all for $100 then i will just do it like nike.

I just got done rebuilding my basket case banshee. After rebuilding the bottom end, top end and going through the bike to make it rideable i spent just as much if not more than i would have just buying a running shee. Had fun with the build but if cost is the reason for buying a broken quad it is something to think about. Ends up costing alot more than you first anticipate.

Having said that it sounds like a good deal. Good luck with it and have fun.:cheers:

Honing could be done at home with a drill and a honing tool but if your asking about boring your looking at about 30 to 40 per hole. They would most likely hone it for half that price if your not into doing it yourself. Good luck with the build and I dont know if you picked up any parts yet, But before you do check with some people on the site a lot of these guys probably have the stuff you need laying around and would let you have really cheap.

Boring cylinders should be around $40 per hole as already said plus the cost of over pistons. Probably about $180-$200 for the top end with gaskets. The lower end is very cheap to disassemble and inspect. A tube of Yamabond and I would definitely replace all the seals (about $40).

Check the crank to see if it is spec. You can find a used crank for around $100 if needed. Check the shift forks for wear or damage ($15 each on ebay). Check all bearings in the tranny. Transmissions very in price on ebay usually due to how many are listed at the time. You can shop around and pick them up cheap but you will likely not need anything here. Check the clutch plates and steels closely. As long as the boss and basket are in good shape with no grooving the rest of the parts are pretty cheap.

Not knowing anything about the motor I would definitely tear it apart and look at everything. The cost to do so is minimal and the then you know exactly what you have.

GL with your project!

SP