gsxr600 banshee, worth it?

shoopie

i dont get why people put other engines in a banshee. i think the only really good part about the banshee is the engine. if you are going to put a rocket engine in something why not like a raptor 700 or yfz450? becasue really you are just adding weight to something that already has poor handeling.

i should probobly read the whole thread before posting...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the bike. Just the motor. I guess the guy did a motor swap on his gsxr and needed to get rid of the old motor. He gave it to my friend for like $40. Thats the whole reason im doing this project in the first place. Because we have the motor waiting for a bike to be put in. Were still waiting to get some other parts from the guy for the motor

Edited by shoopie

put it in a cart man thatd be sick and id be easy and id look right :headbang:

to be doing 100+ in a 150# cart would be the shit :cheers::dance:

thats what id do :yank::clap:

we were thinking of building an off road/semi-long travel cart or a quad. because we would much rather be ripping through the woods and up hills than down the road.

I don't have the bike. Just the motor. I guess the guy did a motor swap on his gsxr and needed to get rid of the old motor. He gave it to my friend for like $40. Thats the whole reason im doing this project in the first place. Because we have the motor waiting for a bike to be put in. Were still waiting to get some other parts from the guy for the motor

A good running GSXR600 motor for 40 buck, Sounds kinda fishy to me..

• 1 month later...

Pm sent

I have a good frame for cheap, plastics and some other stuff

Im in staten island, we arent that far apart

im really looking for a complete/mostly complete roller. i dont want to put that much money into the bike. gonna be a tightly budgeted project. but i will let you know if that changes. thanks a lot.

We did a zx9 in a shee (see sig) but it is probably the largest least effecient motor out there... the gsxr 600 porbably makes 15hp less...and weighs MUCH less... its fun as hell... can ride all day long on very little gas...and yeah 100+mph through a bowl will DEFFINALTY get your blood pumping

What I dont get is how are these people saying that putting a 110 horsepower engine in a banshee, wont be that fast? Are you guys all spending 20,000$ on your engines to put out 125 horsepower off racefuel or something? Also the gixxer engine would be making 110 RELIABLE horsepower, unlike a build banshee engine putting out near that much.

I think the swap would be fun, if people can put an R1 engine in a banshee frame, a 600cc engine should fit fine.

The problem with a street bike motor swap is that they are heavy and like anything, its all in the set up. street bike powered quads have gotten pretty popular lately especially on the oregon dunes, but I have yet to only see a few that were that fast. Most conversions I have seen a 4 mil cub could hang with it at the very least, and they conversions don't turn out looking that good(usually). The only frame that I have seen really work is the raptor frame or a complete custom frame. Keep in mind you will have to probably get some stiffer shocks to support teh added weight, depending on the rider's weight, a swing arm and then mess with the gearing. I talked to a couple guys who have R1 raptors and they said they are good duners but to top heavy for any aggressive trails or tree shots. They also said that they spend triple what they thought they would spend when the project was over. Its all about what kind of riding you do to. But if that is what you want to to then go for it. Thought i'd input on what I have seen and heard. Good luck with the build and have fun man.

The only other thing I would say is that a lot of guys racing don't even care to race a street bike powered quad. It doesn't do anything for them. They would rather go against a naturally aspired quad motor from what I have seen. also you can get 100 reliable hp from a banshee from just a 4 mil cub. Mine has been together for 5 years with not even a new top end. Its all in the builder and set up. and 600 will fit in a banshee frame, seen it done plenty of times, as you already know its just gonna take some fabricating. Go for it man and have fun with the build, that seems to always be my favorite part !!!