my banshee has 0 compression in both cylinders

_Al_

Hi all, this is my first post.

I just bought this 94 banshee today, it was wrecked in the front up high (hit the radiator, front plastics, and the steering bar/mount. it was running/driving when this occured obviously, then it got impounded. i bought it from my friends impound yard, got it home assuming i just needed to fix the crash damage, which isn't the case.

heres what i've found out: it has toomey T5 exhaust, and a single carb conversion with a..reed force valve box? beyond that it looks mostly stock. i pulled the plugs and have spark, so i did a compression test and got 0 on both cylinders. i pulled the head and everything looked good (gasket, and head, and pistons) so i pulled the jugs and theres no scaring on the cylinder walls, the pistons look good and the rings aren't sticking to the pistons or anything, they're free and easily moved.

obviously i instantly assume it's a ring problem but, how could it go from running to the point of smashing itself into a car, to having zero compression? any ideas where i might look prior to dumping money into it?

heres a pic of it being stripped.

picture here. couldn't just put the pic in the post for some reason

my first thought is the compression tester. I cant see the rings being so bad that is has no compression, I guess its possible but there would have to be nothing left of those rings. You can do a leak down test, I mean the air has to be going somewhere.

Only other thing I could think of are the reeds or the jugs are sevearly over bored but that would probobly be obvious if you took off the head.

Unless the pistons are wore enough to fit a nickle down the side there will be compression unless thers big holes in the pistons... even not holding the throttle open or sticking reeds. it will just equalize the pressure when it hits the exhaust port and give somthing more then 1 psi take the head off and take a pic from the top down and post that. with the pistons in the jugs

idk.....the cylinders do look a little waxed..........did the rings pop out of the pistons any, or did the pistons slide right in when you put the jugs back on? the oil tells that the rings aren't doing their job. you could get almost the same with no rings. they might be stuck. either way it looks like it needs a fresh bore from the pics. oh, and the metal gasket looses it's spring after the first heat cycles, so use a new one.

just spend the cash to get a bore job and new pistons......

ur better off that way.... as far as the "metal gasket" get a new one.... after you torque it the gaskets no good...... MAKE SURE the raised part of the gasket is facing upp. i use threebond to seal it up...WORKS WONDERS .. compression checks are to be done when its warm... i would focus on the reeds make sure they arent stuck or show daylight... get a bore job and new pistions seal it up and go from there :shootself: