anyone used athena 68mm cylinders?

twinrock

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why did you bring this 7 month old thread back up Apb? Anybody that says these poorly designed cyls are gonna make 90hp on gas with inframes should be laughed at. If the plating is like Vitos where it seems like half of them peel I'd stay clear of them for that reason alone.Guys, buy good stuff not knockoff chinese crap.

I agree with Radar on this too. We have seen 2 sets of these with bad Nikasil and niether one dynoed worth a crap. Our stock cyls. were killing them and for sure the Serval Cub would be better a better choice !!!

in my opinion they need replated right from the get go need good pistons, and need real portwork done..

i'd give a set a shot. if i could get them cheapenough and can play with them..

if i was looking for new i would heavily recomend the CPI products.. the reliablilty, quality and support is just not really there with the other cyls.

I've got a vitos undercover 4 mil with very little portwork that runs with alot of the 4 mil drag ported cubs at dumont. The set from vitos comes with wiseco pistons. I've got about 15 hillshooting events on the cylinders and they still look fresh. I can promise you it's makin over 100hp and I will have it on the dyno after presidents day. Are people just not giving them a chance or what?

i think a few wanted them to work but what i really seen was them marketed as ready to go drag cyls and for a drag bike they might be. i'm sure not ALL of them peeled right from the get go. and there may have been other things with them also. ( bad tuning bad set up etc)

i'm always up to trying somethign "new" i did try to jet one and it rode like it had an extremely HIGH exhaust and rally bad trans tunnel flow BUT in the right hands i think it was pretty quick. the customer ( like many i think) bought the "kit" on ebay and slapped it all on with some 34mm pj carbs then they couldnt figure out why it had NO bottom end. it was a lil tricky to jet and i got it about as good as i thought it could be. like i said i'd like to find a set that are junk nicko and play with them. they have potential but will take some real port work i guess its like comparing a stock set of OEM jugs unported to these yea these make a LOT more HP. but a properly ported set of stockers?>?>?

its just all in all if the same guy had spent about another 500 bucks he could have bolted together a 421 cub and had similar power with possibly more bottom end in a well known and proven top end... and NOW with the serval a bolt on motor can be rideable..

the athena kit is trash.. the vito's at least can come with wiseco pistons... and was a diff casting ( i was told) but not sure who plated any of them..

• 2 months later...

yeah i do agree you get what you pay for but the saying"whats another $500"?You must be kidding me thats serious coin in these parts especially when this is a hobby.$500 mite keep a family in their home for 1 more month.

in my opinion if you spend the money on GOOD parts the first time you wont have the agoiny of breaking down on your trips

my philosophy in motor desin, building is reliablity 1st power 2nd.

if its the fastest thing in the pits ( broken) who's gonna care.

also its a HOBBY if you are that close to loosing a house you should rethink your priority's

whats seeming to me is its starting to get harder and harder to find well built parts. most stuff is badly machined shit or crap from china built by people making 2 bucks a day

• 4 months later...

We do a lot of grade riding here. Miles and miles of graded county roads. What I would like is a setup that gives me maximum midrange and topend (in case the game warden ever gets after me :jesterlaugh: ) without sacrificing reliability and without crushing fuel economy. The Vito 397 big bore kit looks good. Would I have to go to larger carbs with it? I also have a rz 350 gear set. Would the added hp from the Vito kit provide enough torque to utilize the taller rz gear ratio?

Thanks,

Wheat

• 1 month later...

years ago when athena came out with the 144cc kit for the yz125 mx bike,i knew a couple people that got them and they were happy with the kits.These were former pro and some pretty fast vet riders.So im sure athena wouldnt make a junk product.Most people tend to believe what they "hear" instead of what they "see".Your eyes will never deceive you.Ill try anything if i can get a deal...lol