anyone used athena 68mm cylinders?

twinrock

Yeah, I saw them on ebay before, and though it looked kinda sketchy. Whats in the box, two large rocks? You would think they would have a picture of the actual product. When I googled atheana big bore a bunch of 4 stroke big bore kits came up.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bodel1 let me tell you the cylinders you have on your bike right now make more power than the Athena setup. If you are looking for more power you are going to have to spend some cash. Don't buy any crap, listen to these people. You will end up with a bike that makes less power than you do now.

The Vito's kit will make more power but its $896.00 plus you need a 4 mil crank to go with it. Might as well get a 4 mil cub setup. If you want to go fast you have to spend the cash.

Yeah, I saw them on ebay before, and though it looked kinda sketchy. Whats in the box, two large rocks? You would think they would have a picture of the actual product. When I googled atheana big bore a bunch of 4 stroke big bore kits came up.

Bode1, the other thing to think about is the overall set up of your bike and what your use will be. If you plan to only drag race or ride wide open all the time, the CUB is great, but for overall rideability, they kind of suck IMHO. I had one in my play bike and it just didnt fit for the type of riding i do. It is now in a drag bike. I have gone back to a dune ported motor for play and am much happier. In your sig It says you have kevins dune port now. I would think you could send them back to him and have him get more aggressive and throw some different pipes and carbs on there and i bet its a whole new bike. Keep in mind, though what ever you do will probably add to the top but with some cost on the bottom. Sounds like thats what you may want though, so talk to kev. My 4mil is one of kevins aggressive dune ported motors and with t5s its a blast, lots of mid range and pulls hard until the t5s choke it off. I just put my shearers on it and it is a beast. I havent had it to the dunes yet, but just ripping through the orchard, i can tell you its no joke. Better bottom than the cub had, but feels pretty damn strong on top. I have been saying this a lot on here lately, but only because i have been there got the shirt and i didnt like the way it fit. Somethimes more isnt better.

I wouldn't trust the athena cyls. Vitos cylinders are quite a bit lower port timing than cubs and imo they need work to correct some flaws. They have triple exh porting but they sell the same cylinder as a stock stroke or a 4 mil.Same one for a 7 or a 10 mil. That's good in ways cuz you'll have lower port timing with a 54mm stroke and slightly higher port timing with a 4 mil. A stock or P.D. head will work on vitos cyls from what I understand don't know about athenas. For a trailbike or duner I'd stick with stock cyls they can be very strong. Years ago everybody got cyls trail ported and wanted torque now its all drag.

thanks guys for all your input but i am still alil confused..firstly ill tell u what i need... my engine is in a road bike not a quad..i want torque and usable power not light switch top end... i had a stock cylinders with 4mm crank awsome power and torque better then any ypvs top end i had by far, but had cruising issues due to the type of porting it had when i got the top end. so i wanted to change the top end and i thought while im at it a few more ccs couldnt hurt. ie 68mm

Now i had heard of athena b4 they make lotsa of top ends for other bikes 2 strokes and 4 with nothing but good reviews, I know one guy who got a tzr300 top end up grade from 250 with an increase of 45hp to 70hpr i would say thats pretty good. but no reviews on the banshee. i cant believe that a company of this reputation would make a shit product..ok it may not be as good as others but still have to better then stock...but then again its soo cheap head barrels pistons and gaskets for $780 a lil too cheap..and there is no info and just a pic of a box..surely there must be some one who has actually used the athena cylinders to give a good review...ps im also in australia so makes it a lil/lot harder to find first hand info on aftermarket stuff...thanks again guys

bodel1 let me tell you the cylinders you have on your bike right now make more power than the Athena setup. If you are looking for more power you are going to have to spend some cash. Don't buy any crap, listen to these people. You will end up with a bike that makes less power than you do now.

The Vito's kit will make more power but its $896.00 plus you need a 4 mil crank to go with it. Might as well get a 4 mil cub setup. If you want to go fast you have to spend the cash.

Thx Kev, I am very happy with the work I have from you. I just kinda wish that I had done a 4mil when I did mine, it seems you are never truly done. I figured since I have to buy new jugs to do the 4mil, I might as well go to a bigger bore at the same time. Didn't want to go the sleeve route, it seems kinda like a hassle and not that cost effective. I didn't really want a cub because I didn't want to give up too much low end, and kinda wanted to have a sleeper thing going. I've talked to a couple of guys here selling 4mil jugs or 4mil big bores, but I didn't want a drag ported set. I have plenty of power now until we line up in the street, than no matter how much you have, you always want a little more. I have a friend with a 70mm stock stroke drag ported that I'd like to surprise I guess too. I still have some stuff to do to mine. I have bigger carbs on my work bench now, just have been super busy with a work thing all summer, and should have more time to mess with it starting November 1st.

Sorry Twinrock, I guess I kinda jacked your thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the Athena Cylinders on Ebay and they look just like the Vito's cylinder but with Athena on the side of the cylinder. I bet Athena is making the cylinder for Vito's. This is just my observation of what I see.

The Athena Cylinder

post-21743-12551580570702_thumb.jpg

Edited by methyman

• 4 weeks later...

man gotta love the internet..

here's an idear.

CALL VITO"S!

CALL ATHENA ask the people responsible for the products to explain them ask them for port timings i am sure that neither cylinder has any port work maybe nothing at all and they are as cast like an unported cub, stock cylinder, or similar cast or billet cylinder in its cheapest form..

here is what i would LOVE to see: a cylinder test!! back in the days we used to see pipe shootouts! (rember those) i think its time for a cylinder shoot out. take an 06 banshee install a 4 mill hot rods crank and start swaping cylinders right out of the box rate them on ease of install, build quality, construction material, port map them, and use stock carbs, and say fmf sst pipes or t-5's and +4 timing the arverage mods that the average rider would have.. and either the head they came with or a general cool head like a NOSS and the average domes ( gas with like 165 comp?) and then DYNO them all and see what they lay down number wise and also a ride comparison including dunes and trails, and an mx type track. with small jumps and something that would show the rideablility of them..

i wish i could get into more product testing..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i did a lil research twinrock sent you a pm might want to check it out for your aplication..

Couple months ago I searched the hell out of Athena's website and found the specs on the banshee kit, it was pretty mild 55hp @8k rings a bell. Its a major pain to find.

I'm probably going with the vito's 421 BB for my road bike project, sounds like a good compromise between price and power spread. I was leaning towards a cub for a while but drivability is a factor when navigating through a city on a peaky bike.

Couple months ago I searched the hell out of Athena's website and found the specs on the banshee kit, it was pretty mild 55hp @8k rings a bell. Its a major pain to find.

I'm probably going with the vito's 421 BB for my road bike project, sounds like a good compromise between price and power spread. I was leaning towards a cub for a while but drivability is a factor when navigating through a city on a peaky bike.

OK I knew i had the info somewhere, save yous the trouble.

http://www.athena-ad.com/?locale=en

banshee big bore page is # 40 in the atv catalog

Edited by troy-4l0