anyone used athena 68mm cylinders?

twinrock

that hp test says with all other original parts including pipes, air filter, box, spout and all.

if they got 55hp on those parts that kinda shows the lackings in some other's 55hp "ported" cylinders with pipes, filters, and maybe even carbs..

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

found this on the site also. http://www.athena-ad.com/pdf/P400485100024.pdf

this is the first set of instructions i have seen with measured squish cleanace tests and specs. thats a neat idear..

now dont get me wrong i'm not saying to run out and buy one of these right now..

Edited by camatv

• 3 months later...

Couple months ago I searched the hell out of Athena's website and found the specs on the banshee kit, it was pretty mild 55hp @8k rings a bell. Its a major pain to find.

I'm probably going with the vito's 421 BB for my road bike project, sounds like a good compromise between price and power spread. I was leaning towards a cub for a while but drivability is a factor when navigating through a city on a peaky bike.

i have the vito's 421 BB 4mm kit with hemi II head . i broke mine in with the timing set @ stock went real slow like 35 mph went up to +2 then +4 then +6 ran good . once you break it in hold on. i would set it @ +1.5 or +2.5 just to keep from smoking the tires to much . the Vito's pistons have bigger intake ports than the Athena ones . good luck don't break a ring or seize it up breaking it in and tune it rite you will have a good strong long lasting engine. and i am thinking the Athena kit has a more stockish porting just buy looking @ the pictures. put a boost bottle on it and some reads that flow more than the v force 3s. good luck with the crotch rocket.

• 2 weeks later...

i saw these are they any good..im not wanting a full drag set up, i know athena make good stuff for other road bikes..but never seen them for banshees..i think its odd that i can only find pics of the box..lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATHENA-BIG-BORE-CYLINDER-KIT-392cc-BANSHEE-YFZ350_W0QQitemZ360188038262QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53dce14c76&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I BUILD A 4 MILL OUT OF THE ATHENA CYLINDERS AND SO FAR ITS TREATED ME PRETTY GOOD... ALL OF MY BUDDYS HAVE THE 4 MILL CUB SETUP FOR DRAG RACING SO I DECIDED TO TRY SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFRENT I HAVE CLOSE TO A YEAR WITH MY CYLINDERS AND THERE STILL RUNNING STRONG. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed athena to try and give me some specs on the cylinders, as I am interested if they are not drag racing port timings...

They refused to tell me anything, and I quote

"we can assure you that no other manufacture would divulge such specifications"

so I sent them the port map that cp industries has for all their cubs on their website lol, still yet to get an email back...

to me that means umm we dont have any clue?? so umm just buy it and figure it out on your own ( it is a "race part duh?_)

to me that means umm we dont have any clue?? so umm just buy it and figure it out on your own ( it is a "race part duh?_)

[/qu

local builder has been gettin low 90s horsepower with the athenas..and a 4mm crank. cpis. on gas. says the power curve is great and runs awesome.

• 1 month later...

I recently bought this kit. I'm waiting for some wrist pin bearings to come in before I install it. Does anyone know what this kind of porting looks like it would do?

0623101909a.jpg

0623101910.jpg

Here's the old one's. I bought this kit because I was going to just have the cylinders bored and fitted with new pistons but the one cylinder had a hairline crack underneath the exhaust port, it had a crapy port job, and they had two different pistons in it. Same size different brands which had caused a compression difference of 8lbs. 120psi on one 128psi on the other.

0529101025a.jpg

0529101026a.jpg

i have the vito's 421 BB 4mm kit with hemi II head . i broke mine in with the timing set @ stock went real slow like 35 mph went up to +2 then +4 then +6 ran good . once you break it in hold on. i would set it @ +1.5 or +2.5 just to keep from smoking the tires to much . the Vito's pistons have bigger intake ports than the Athena ones . good luck don't break a ring or seize it up breaking it in and tune it rite you will have a good strong long lasting engine. and i am thinking the Athena kit has a more stockish porting just buy looking @ the pictures. put a boost bottle on it and some reads that flow more than the v force 3s. good luck with the crotch rocket.

A boost bottle isnt worth the metal it is made of. Throw that comment out the door. LOL

Edited by 03portedshee

I recently bought this kit. I'm waiting for some wrist pin bearings to come in before I install it. Does anyone know what this kind of porting looks like it would do?

0623101909a.jpg

0623101910.jpg

Here's the old one's. I bought this kit because I was going to just have the cylinders bored and fitted with new pistons but the one cylinder had a hairline crack underneath the exhaust port, it had a crapy port job, and they had two different pistons in it. Same size different brands which had caused a compression difference of 8lbs. 120psi on one 128psi on the other.

0529101025a.jpg

0529101026a.jpg

WHAT BRAND OF CYLINDERS ARE THEY? THEY LOOK LIKE TRIPPLE PORT ATHENA CYLINDERS BUT NO PORT WORK DONE TO THEM BASICALLY LOOK THE WAY THEY LOOK COMING OUT OF THE BOX.

They are brand new Athena cyclinders. What I was wondering what the stock porting on the Athena's would be be comparable to? Drag port, Trail port, ect. They are deffinitly more opened up than the originals.

Can you measure, in millimeters the distance from the deck to the tops of the exhaust port and the transfer ports?