1988 shee, $1800 ...... do I want it?

Quoted from craigslist.......(I removed some of the obvious stuff)

REDUCED FROM $2300 TO $2000 1988 Yamaha Banshee. Has a fresh rebuild with approximately 55 hours on it. Always starts with in the first or second kick. This quad was mainly used for trail ridding never raced. I just put new rear tires on they are 20X10 Dunlops. The rims on the rear are also new they are ITP rims 9 inch. I also replaced the front lower A-Arms and ball joints. This quad has tons of after market parts which include full exhaust system fmf pipes Gold series and the power core 2 silencers, also has a trinity stage 4 two into one carb, the quad has new plastics to with an after market bolt kit, and the motor has hot rod cranks from the fresh rebuild. There is also a after market chrome front bumper, and after market renthal handle bars, K&N filter and more. I always kept my wheeler up to maintenance by changing fluids and keeping plugs up to date so its been well maintained. The reason its for sale is I just don't ride it enough to keep it, and I'm to busy with work to make time for it. So in all this machine is very very fast and extremely clean! SOLD AS IS

I rode it last night... seams fast but it runs out of gear quickly... the guy said it had a different sprocket on the rear. Front brake is almost non existant, rear swinger has a crack in the cross bracing that was poorly welded (I'm a welder and can fix properly). Other than that I didn't see much wrong despite the fact that it has J arms.

I have him down to $1800 and I feel that is as low as he will go.

Comments welcome....

I'm too impatient.... I bought it.

I will post up some pics....

I know I probably could have found a little better deal but I live in bumble egypt... any major city is 3 hrs. away. This one was close... I am sure it is not perfect... something to keep me busy I guess.

holy shit bro, Egypt you say, welcome to the site. Simply by considering your location, its pretty hard to compare $$$$$$. What might seem expensive in the US could be cheap for you just by terms of availability. even here in Canada, right next door to the US, its alot harder to find the same kinds of deals that the US guys can find.

you bought it, its yours....the obsession begins

holy shit bro, Egypt you say, welcome to the site. Simply by considering your location, its pretty hard to compare $$$$$$. What might seem expensive in the US could be cheap for you just by terms of availability. even here in Canada, right next door to the US, its alot harder to find the same kinds of deals that the US guys can find.

you bought it, its yours....the obsession begins

Well... maybe not in Egypt but bumble Minnesota.... I will have to do a proper intro when I have some time. I'm too busy right now scouring the site for what will be my first mods.

Good lord..I'm trying to get deals in the 600-1000 range.(1 so far).It is definately a buyers market.You should have kept your options open & b willing to travel a bit 4 a good deal.

$600-$1000.... Dang... I see people asking more than that for shee engines on ebay (not sure if folks are bidding though).

I did find a 88 in Madison, Wisconsin which is 3hrs away from me. Bone stock and looked beat on for $1100... I figured by the time I drove to get it and upgraded the pipes, tires, suspension, plastic etc... etc... I would be in the same boat $$$ wise. The drive alone would cost me about $75 in gas.

All the newer A arm framed rides I can find near me are $2200 or more. I did find a 04 for $2600 but thats $800 I can use on other things. I should have specified that I am not planning on riding too terribly often. I may go to the local trails 4-5 times a year so I can get my 5 year old out on his Honda ATC70 to get him learing. I just wanted something to mess around on when we were out there.

I used to be a millwright by trade... I am kicking around the idea of fabing up my own A-arm conversion and fabbing extended arms. I did find a pic of a D arm I liked. I just have to find the time. I will post up some pics of my other projects so you guys and gals know what I am up to.

I always have to step back and look at the big picture.... these things we ride around on are all just a bunch of steel, rubber, and plastic... nothing that can't be fixed when you break it (notice I didn't say if). I'm knowledgeable enough to be able to do all my own work and fabrication.

I know I know.... I am arguing over your reponses that I asked for in the first place. I do appreciate them, I just asked the question a little too late as I already had it in my head that I wanted it. Probably a bonehead impulse purchase but now it's mine and I will go from here.

Thanks again everyone...

Edited by Powerplant

He already bot it Daj.

Lets see some pic's of the ol' 88.

Shitload of info here on the forum about A-arm conversions.

Yeah you prolly paid a little too much for it, but who cares... its yours now. Welcome to the banshee headquarters.

My first banshee was an '88, a blue and white one. I bot it around early '98 and paid $1500 for it, but it was in pretty bad shape.

i got my 87 for 850 bucks..i got another 87 that was ported, laeger extended swinger.trinity 2 into 1..progressive rate shocks and some other stuff for 740 and my 89 for a 600$ blaster that i beat the hell out of..i think i spent the most on my 97... jeeze i need something better to do haha 5 banshees ,yes 5 ones not listed unless you consider a hybrid a banshee haha

Ya you could have shop around little more I got my 99 with pipes for 1800 but hey the important thing is you own a banshee no matter year or condition your gonna have a blast on it

. I should have specified that I am not planning on riding too terribly often. I may go to the local trails 4-5 times a year so I can get my 5 year old out on his Honda ATC70 to get him learing. I just wanted something to mess around on when we were out there.

Just something to mess around i think a few of us have thought like that I know I did and now 3 months later Kevin from Herr Jugs racing has my cylinders and a few other of my parts and I also have him on speed dial haha.

Again welcome to the club!