boss billet intake problem

slopoke

well yea, that makes sense.. but this isnt an alky bike is it??

ive never run anything higher than a 48 pilot and 162 main on a 4mm stock cyl motor, 4mm cub and 10mm cub motor with 33, 35 or 39mm pwk.. i generally settle in about 45 pilot and 160 main, which is what my 10mm cub has in it right now with 39mm pwk..

I run 55 pilots CEG needles and as high as 180 mains in my 10 mil cub. 180 mains for asphalt 1/4 mile and 172 to 175 for Olds hill climbs. Seems like it would be real fat but the 02 and heat say they are right on at the end of the runs. When I ran Olds with 162 mains I stuck a piston then did it again with a 168 :down:

Not real relevant here but just saying all motors can be a little different.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run 55 pilots CEG needles and as high as 180 mains in my 10 mil cub. 180 mains for asphalt 1/4 mile and 172 to 175 for Olds hill climbs. Seems like it would be real fat but the 02 and heat say they are right on at the end of the runs. When I ran Olds with 162 mains I stuck a piston then did it again with a 168 :down:

Not real relevant here but just saying all motors can be a little different.

damn thats crazy.. youre right at sea level arent you kevin? i cant imagine that here. bikes wouldnt even run.

i wonder where the original poster is located..i didnt even think to look.

:whistling: Ok upon checking the size one more time It could be a 58 but can't tell for sure cause of the tarnish and the main looks like it is in fact 168. These jets came out of an older jet kit and have turned colors and hard to read. But i swear the pilot looks like a 56 but i guess that could be an eight. Runs great plug chop was good. I'm running 100ll fuel if that matters but wouldn't think so. I'm leaving it alone. Edited by slopoke

Maybe you guys can help me. Running a STD stroke cub (Cleanup port) at Sea level +-80F, PWK 33s, Pods, 32:1 mix (105), DMC 916's and boyesen reeds. I have 50 pilots in them and 158 mains. Still very sluggish up top. I know that my pilots should be around 48, but what will my mains be?

Where should such a cub rev to on a free rev? I only hit 9500 rpm.

damn thats crazy.. youre right at sea level arent you kevin? i cant imagine that here. bikes wouldnt even run.

i wonder where the original poster is located..i didnt even think to look.

Yep, right at sea level.

With those carbs and pipes....9500 is about what I'd expect.

The pipes, more so than carbs...are holding it back.

When you go for a WOT run, what do your plugs look like?

How much compression does it have? How much timing are you running?

Notched it up to 148 psi at +4 timing. I have read that on racing gas it is not possible to do plug checks, so I haven't.

Looking at importing CPI IF as soon as I have funds available. For now I will have to run DMC 916s

Jr, thanks for the info thus far.

Ok guys.....did the leak down and the boss intake was a bubble factory. Ether or carb cleaner would NOT find the leak. It was leaking everywhere. I sealed it with black rtv neatly no gobs and let it sit all day and tightened it down. It ran like a screaming banshee!!!! Ended up with 56 pilots and 167 mains and 2 turns out on airscrews with the CE L int the 4th notch. Idles perfect and is crisp all the way through with topend out of this world. Thanks for all the help.

glad to hear that it worked out

i have a boss intake with built in crossover and i would like to know where did you add the rtv sealent.

between the two pieces of the boss intake itself. or between the reed and the boss intake.

thanx

Set the timing at 7 or 8.

You can still read heat on race fuel....

I was wondering this myself, running 115 octane I get from my boss, purple stuff and it turns my plugs all kinds of colors, mainly like a orange red color, so its kinda hard to tell if jetting is on..... Im running 35 PWKs, stock needle, 2nd clip from top, 50 pilots and 162 mains on a 4mm stock cyl drag port @ sea level...... HOW DO U READ HEAT? If mine is @ idle and i pin it itll bog for just a second then rev out, if i blip it a few times then pin it it revs out fine....air screws?