boss billet intake problem

slopoke

I just tried note keyword "tried" to put a boss billet intake and a pair of 35mm pwks on my wheeler. It ran great with stockers but of course I had to mess with it. It is a stock stroke full drag port no airbox setup. The old carbs were set up on a 27.5 pilot, 350 mains and middle clip setting. The 35's have a 52 pilot and a 162 main and the clp in position 4. The problem is at an idle when you stabb the gas it will just die or backfire out the right pipe. If you let it idle for a few seconds you can hit it twice and its fine but on the third time it pops or dies. When it at a higher idle it don't do it as bad. I have ck for airleaks and so far found none. I even drilled an old set of pilots very large and it got a little better but had issues elsewhere. I put stockers back on and everything was fine. It is almost like something in that intake or carb has an airleak. Please help

Edited by slopoke

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like your air screw and pilot need to be adjusted. what needle are you using?

stock needle and i have tried everything on the air screw from all the ways closed to 4 rounds nothing helps. I can put a pilot jet twice the size of the 52 and it dont pop but it wont idle. but that seems way too big for a pilot

What different size pilots have you tried?

.5 to 2.5 is the usable range on the air screws.

Did you put a thin coat of RTV on both sides of the reed cage gaskets?

Snug down ALL the bolts on the intakes?

Run the bike as I described above, short of owning a leak down tester, it's the best way to check for an air leak with intakes.

Well jr I have been leaning towards the air leak because of the amount of fuel needed. That is why I asked if anyone has had trouble with the boss intakes. I have totally took them apart and ck o rings and all. I put a thin coat on all mating surfaces as well as new reed cage gaskets. I don't know where else to ck.

If it's an air leak, you can put a 35 pilot or an 80...doesn't matter.

Mine leaked, I sold them and got UPP.

I never used the BOSS one piece with a built in crossover, I had the two piece (no crossover) for the bigger carbs.

I tried RTV, Yamabond, I made gaskets, new intake boots....I fought it for two weeks while my motor was on the bench, but I have a leak down tester. The only way to fly.

Since the bike is together and running, use carb cleaner.

that is what mine is doing pilots don't change anything. I have 2 made gaskets and used sealants. where do they leak?

Make the tool to pressure test the engine for leaks. I did the carb spray thing several times and it never showed the air leak I had between reed cage and cylinder. The leak tester was easy to use and build.

if youre using the correct gaskets, one on each side of the reed cage and your clamps are good and tight, i see no reason for you to be having an air leak. i used to run the boss intake and my brother still does.. we never had any issues.

you stated already that you tried carb cleaner and didnt see any difference.. correct?

maybe you just really have no idea what youre doing with jetting. just a thought, not an insult.