450 A arm conversion

evro

hey guys,

theres been quite a few control arm related threads lately and i've been reading them all. even used the search! i may have a line on a barely used stock set of control arms off an 04 yfz 450 le. he also has the factory brake lines available, having been replaced by steel braided lines on the bike. from what i can gather, i should buy the brake lines as well because they'll still be longer than the stockers on the banshee, is that correct?

as i understand, the spindles, calipres, tie rods, and rotors are original and stayed on the bike so they aren't available, but he is going to give me a list of everything he has available.

i really want to do a full swap but if i can improve my ride for the time being i think i should do it. i ride mainly trails and XCountry so i dont mind the idea of a little extra clearance but if dont swap out the banshee shock, how much lower will i be? i know the 450 spindle would make a huge difference here, but its currently not available to me.

i dont know if the shocks on the 450 are aftermarket or stock. if they were replaced by aftermarket, should i pick them up as well or is there a more suitable shock that you guys would recommend me to use having done the conversion yourself already?

what is the bare minimum i should convert before i can safely ride the shee? if i can only get the control arms and brake lines, should i throw them on right away or wait until i have a few more 450 parts to go on with them?

thanks guys, sorry it's a long post...

heres the short and simple of the yfz450 swap.

it can be done in a few different configurations.

1. yfz arms, banshee spindles/brakes and +2 banshee tie rods. if you use yfz450 shocks, it lowers the front end roughly 1.5inches. so with stock banshee shocks you would be very low.

2. yfz arms, yfz spindles brakes and +2 banshee tie rods. you can use yfz450 shocks here or step it up to a 17.5-18.25 length shocks and gain standard ride height roughly 2 inch extra wheel travel. shocks that work include YFZ450R suzuki LT450R or a custom works, elka, pep in the above lengths.

you can use the longer shocks on banshee spindles, but its highly unreccomended due to the ball joints limiting travel instead of the shocks which will lead to premature wear.

im not entirely sure, but im pretty sure only +banshee tie rods work, yfz450 ones dont.

correct, you need a set of +2 banshee tie rods

Stock Yfz450 tie rods will work when running the banshee spindles, but your tie rod ends will only be secured with a few threads, so it's not recommended.

13 5/8" length tie rod (not including the ends) is what you need with the yfz450 spindles.

One thing that I noticed that was not noted is to run the yfz450 spindles you need the yfz450 hubs too.

The stock banshee brake lines work fine as long as they are routed properly.

Edited by someone82

Stock Yfz450 tie rods will work when running the banshee spindles, but your tie rod ends will only be secured with a few threads, so it's not recommended.

13 5/8" length tie rod (not including the ends) is what you need with the yfz450 spindles.

One thing that I noticed that was not noted is to run the yfz450 spindles you need the yfz450 hubs too.

The stock banshee brake lines work fine as long as they are routed properly.

Pretty much everything has been covered already and looks to be pretty good info. The only thing ned mentioned that I wanted to clarify, is that longer shocks will be almost impossible to mount with the banshee spindles, because typically you will not be able to compress the shock that much, to get it installed.

Also, in my experience (I've done a few :happy: ) with the longer shocks, they do reach a point where the stock brake lines aren't really long enough anymore. Just my $.02

Also, in my experience (I've done a few :happy: ) with the longer shocks, they do reach a point where the stock brake lines aren't really long enough anymore. Just my $.02

that's right i remember you saying that when you mounted the 450r shocks.

Edited by someone82

hey thanks for the clarification guys. the only parts i can get from this source are the control arms and the tie rods (rear shock also but i don't think it will fit the banshee, your opinions?). he'll also sell me the stock brake lines off the 450 and i'm assuming they'll be longer than the shees.

i can get my banshee tie rods extended so all i really need are the hubs and spindles. will banshee rotors mount up on 450 hubs?

i think i read in another forum that the the banshee calipres would work if you used a longer mounting bolt? your thoughts?

the hubs and spindles are always on ebay but being north of the 49th makes things just a little more $$$.

on a side note, today i snapped my renthal handlebars flush with the clamp on the right side trying to pull a wheelie. i was only in 3rd but was in a wide open field so no wipeout luckily. i had to ride back to the yard steering with my left while i feathered the throttle and busted handlebar in my right. good thing i wasnt on a tight woods trail doin 40 or 50. i can throw the stockers back on for now though.

thanks again for the help guys

i can get my banshee tie rods extended so all i really need are the hubs and spindles. will banshee rotors mount up on 450 hubs?

I'll have to check on that I'm not sure, I got my yfz450 hubs w/rotors, but i'll check tonight.

i think i read in another forum that the the banshee calipres would work if you used a longer mounting bolt? your thoughts?

Yeah that is what I'm running right now, i have no qualms with the banshee brakes just yet but i could use a little more whoa power.

on a side note, today i snapped my renthal handlebars flush with the clamp on the right side trying to pull a wheelie. i was only in 3rd but was in a wide open field so no wipeout luckily. i had to ride back to the yard steering with my left while i feathered the throttle and busted handlebar in my right. good thing i wasnt on a tight woods trail doin 40 or 50. i can throw the stockers back on for now though.

That's no fun, I've done it on bmx bikes before but never a quad, i can only imagine, at least your ok.

good luck with your swap!

hey thanks for the clarification guys. the only parts i can get from this source are the control arms and the tie rods (rear shock also but i don't think it will fit the banshee, your opinions?). he'll also sell me the stock brake lines off the 450 and i'm assuming they'll be longer than the shees.

the hubs and spindles are always on ebay but being north of the 49th makes things just a little more $$$.

thanks again for the help guys

:huh: Holy S**T! Exact same thing happened to me Sunday with a set of FLY bars.

well things are coming along nicely. the o4 ltr 450 shocks are on the way as well as the spindles, hubs, rotors and tie rods. i should be able to pick the control arms and brake lines up next week. so the only things i need to get fabbed now are the tie rods. eventually i'll replace the calipres but i dont need them for now. i'll keep you guys posted on my progress. thanks for all your help so far....

well the ltr450 shocks showed up today in good condition for a great price. fuck, they're meaty. there is absolutely no comparing them to stock. the hubs, spindles, and rotors should be here by the end of the week. i'm going to get the fabber started on the tie rods tomorrow so they'll be ready when i get the arms. i'm hoping i might be doing the conversion on saturday instead of riding but i may not get the arms and brake lines till early next week. either way, by next weekend i should be back on the trails with a new front end..... :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

i've seen a few more threads related to the conversion so just to follow up, the ride and suspension is 10 times better than stock.

i did the entire 450 front end (arms, spindles, hubs, calipers, and brake lines with ltr450 shocks). just got out on saturday for my first real ride after finishing the conversion and i have no regrets. it handles way better, and therefore performs way better as well. for anybody considering it, i would say go for it. if you do some homework and shop your parts out, its fairly cheap. 2003unlimited sells some kickass spacers for the lower arms that look awesome and perform well. there isnt much clearance between the shock and the rear of the upper arm, but it does clear. the dual piston front brakes make a huge difference as well. i also managed to get a steel braided rear brake line as well with all the parts so it went on too.

i'll take some pics and post them up so you guys who are considering it can see what the finished product looks like.

• 4 months later...

Hey evro, you have the yfz calipers and stock banshee master cylinder dont you? I did the same thing, and it did help a lot, but if you really wanna make a HUGE difference, use an 07 or up yfz mastercylinder. The difference in braking feel is night and day. Another alternative to that is find a 450r mastercylinder. Im not sure on the years for the 450r, but I think about any mc off a 450r will match the 07 or up yfz mc.

2001bansheebuild092.jpg

2001bansheebuild089.jpg

2001bansheebuild088.jpg