28mm vs 30mm For Bored/Ported Motor

bansh_88

Hi. I have searched the board for any current or past postings relating to my question, but have so far been unable to find the answer. My question concerns choosing the best suited carbs for my engine. My cylinders were just bored .5mm (.020") over, and received a HotMX port job from PassionRacing. Pipes which I plan to add will probably be T5's. I am now in the process of determining whether or not to run 28mm or 30mm carbs with this setup. Any feedback/opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by bansh_88

Welcome man!

Either ones would do fine, but if it were me I would do the 30mm oko's. I have them on my stock port and they are great.

shee4speed and dragbanshee, thank you for the welcomes! This is an outstanding site! I sent two emails out to Jim at passionracing already for his opinion, but havent received any response yet. I assume he is extremely busy. But I am sure I will get very good feedback and opinions here if I dont get his response in time.

Edited by bansh_88

I would ultimately base the decisions off the pipes your gonna run, as this effects maximum top rpm that the motor will achieve. I personally recommend much different pipes with 28mm carbs for an mx setup.

Thanks for your reply Snopczynski. What pipes would you recommend with 28mm (or 30mm) carbs for an MX setup? I greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance.

One thing to also consider when choosing carbs is whether or not you would like to run the airbox. I used to run 34mm on the shee with an airbox and it was just too big of a pain with such a tight fit. Since then I have changed to 28mm and they fit and work great. For pipe selection you most likely want to focus on a bottom to mid pipe. The suggestion by Snopczynski is a good start. I run FMF's on mine and the bike works well for all types of riding.

Chris

One thing to also consider when choosing carbs is whether or not you would like to run the airbox. I used to run 34mm on the shee with an airbox and it was just too big of a pain with such a tight fit. Since then I have changed to 28mm and they fit and work great. For pipe selection you most likely want to focus on a bottom to mid pipe. The suggestion by Snopczynski is a good start. I run FMF's on mine and the bike works well for all types of riding.

Chris

Thank you to all for the feedback.

I have a +4, +5, bored to 65.5 old school JD Racing motor with drag port, re-chambered stock head, motor runs on 111 race fuel with T5's and no air box. I run 28's and the motor pulls very hard and has lots of throttle response.