more problems

Mason

i finally got my rebuilt left carb back from my stealership. i put it on and started it up and it idled high, but im not worried about that at the moment. the right carb now leaks when sitting there just idling, but im not worried about that at the moment, either

what my major problem is, is that my left cylinder wont fire until i rev it into the powerband, and when it does that, it burns all the gas/oil dumped in the cylinder, and smokes like crazy. it runs fine when its in the powerband, but when its out of it or idling it wont fire and will not roll when its not in the powerband. it gets fuel and it sparks when in the powerband, im just so confused with it i dont know where to start. the right cylinder sparks good and is what keeps it running. i took it out riding and it sometimes would randomly spark and kick into the powerband and almost made me lose control twice. im just afraid that without any spark in the low end/idle it will hurt my engine. if anybody has any clue or info on why this would happen please let me know. i have been plagued with problems ever since i got it, it is kinda sorta starting to turn into a downer :down:

Edited by Mason

If you are worried about it hurting it your motor you really shouldnt ride it like that, until the problem is solved.

I would check for spark, check spark plug boots and coil. Make sure you dont have a bad reed. Clean the carbs out really well, make sure none of the jets are clogged.

I had this prob one time and it was bc my stator was going bad.

Good luck, Im sure more will chime in with some more ideas for ya.

when i said that i took it for a ride, i pretty much took it around my yard twice and didnt want to do any serious riding with it. as for spark, i switched the caps and plugs with 3 new plugs and both times it would only spark in powerband. now when i left it run the gas out of the carbs before i put it away they both started firing right before it totally ran out of gas.

my left carb, the rebuilt one, is spotless and i had the float properly adjusted and works good. the right one could probably use a cleaning but the float is properly set and works fine.

what does gear oil have to do with spark? i really don't have a much knowledge on 2 strokes, im more familiar with 4 pokes than anything

first off you need to fix the carb that is leaking gas !!!!!!! when it is leaking like that, the needle is stuck open there for it is flooding that cylinder.. won't run tell it burns all the fuel dumping in the cylinder.. get that fixed then report back

but the one that is leaking is the right side carb and the right side is the one that is running! i really dont get it! the reason why i fixed the left one was because of this and ever since i had it on now the other one leaks! i just cant win

Check the gap between the flywheel, and the pick up coil. You should be able to slide a match book cover between them, and that's it. Also, it might be a good time to replace both spark plug boots, they're cheap, and easy to replace. Try those two things, and let us know.

what does gear oil have to do with spark? i really don't have a much knowledge on 2 strokes, im more familiar with 4 pokes than anything

If the right cylinder is smoking excessively, it is a sign that the PTO crank seal is failing, for the engine will pull gear oil into the crank cavity and then burn it. The few times I have seen an engine burning oil due to a bad seal, it was very obvious because the smoke had a very distinct "burnt gear oil" smell.

ok heres the lowdown of it now:

i took the cover off to look at the flywheel. the timing plate? that hangs out over the right side of the flywheel is just big enough gap to put a matchbook in between the flywheel and the plate part, everything is connected to both carbs, i took apart the spark plug boots and cleaned/degreased them, put them back together. it still isnt sparking, i have ran out of ideas and im starting to think i traded my pristine warrior for a lemon of a banshee, i have dumped alot of money into this already and its getting kinda tiring.

the right exhaust does not smoke, the right side is the one that is running fine, but it is also the right carb that is leaking gas out the overflow tube. the left one is the one that dramitcally smokes when it decides to spark (when it hits powerband and finally sparks) and will smoke for a little until its burned what its burning or i left go of the throttle and it drops out and stops sparking.

im so disgruntled with this thing that i broke down and am going to take it to the stealership tomorrow and let them screw with it. im going to let them resync the carbs and left them try and figure out the problem,

ok heres the lowdown of it now:

i took the cover off to look at the flywheel. the timing plate? that hangs out over the right side of the flywheel is just big enough gap to put a matchbook in between the flywheel and the plate part, everything is connected to both carbs, i took apart the spark plug boots and cleaned/degreased them, put them back together. it still isnt sparking, i have ran out of ideas and im starting to think i traded my pristine warrior for a lemon of a banshee, i have dumped alot of money into this already and its getting kinda tiring.

the right exhaust does not smoke, the right side is the one that is running fine, but it is also the right carb that is leaking gas out the overflow tube. the left one is the one that dramitcally smokes when it decides to spark (when it hits powerband and finally sparks) and will smoke for a little until its burned what its burning or i left go of the throttle and it drops out and stops sparking.

im so disgruntled with this thing that i broke down and am going to take it to the stealership tomorrow and let them screw with it. im going to let them resync the carbs and left them try and figure out the problem,

well here is what i think if it is an ignition problem it is 1 of 2 things either the coil or the plug wire and if either is ur problem replace both cuz you can get a coil with the wires on it fairly cheap. you can check that easily by flip flopping the plug wires if the problem follows the wire replace it. dont worry about putting the wires on backwards b/c both plugs fire every time either piston comes up. it will be no further back than the coil b/c that is the first place the ignition splits if it were any further back you would have problems on both sides.its probably not a crank seal b/c it would be a real bitch to start and it would backfire like a mother fucker. to be honest with you i think ur jetting is all fucked up