Whats the tool of choice for cutting plastic?

smokd

• 1 year later...

Rotozip...

Best thing out there hands down for cutting plastic.

Dan

+10000 on the rotozip. it will get into places a jigsaw could never dream, cut tiny details, and sharp corners..

I use mine on almost a daily basis on boats cutting glass and plastics. I recommend grabbing it close to the base where the cutting tip is spinning, and holding it tightly, resting your hand on the material and slowly guiding the bit with you hand.. if you try to one hand it and let the blade wobble it will wander off course FAST.. Theres a ton of tips for cutting various materials..

FYI if you're going to cut fiberglass buy the standard tile cutting bits at lowes they are very jagged and rough, i've been using the same three bits for ages two still new in the box! The tile bit also works great on plastics its WAY more aggressive than the normal cutting bits.

Tape up what you're going to cut with masking tape, then draw your lines in with a sharpie, just follow the line with the bit and rip off the tape, you'll have nice clean lines that require minimal cleanup!

Edited by pondtunes

I would say definitely a jigsaw, I tried using a high RPM rotary tool because it was all I had at the time on a set of junk plastics and you just dont have the control you need. It wasnt pretty.

Try grabbing the end of the tool with your thumb and index fingers, resting the back of your hand on whatever your cutting. You can use your wrist/hand to guide that high speed bit anywhere you want with amazing precision!

I have been cutting plastics for years and a jigsaw with a medium blade for making turns is by far the best, just tape it off first with wide tape and follow the line, With wide tape the plastic eont even get scratched. Then pass a cigarette lighter slowly over the edge to get it smooth again

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My buddy wrecked his polaris predator at the dunes and broke a front fender. There wasn't any other choice but to do some cutting if we wanted to keep riding. We masking taped the cut line and went to town on them with a fine tooth keyhole saw. It worked great. We then polluted the atmosphere by throwing the fenders on the campfire. It woke the neighbors up. It was really bright and hot.

• 3 weeks later...

and my .02 , Hot Knife . I cut my rear fenders by heating up a piece of cable wire with my torch and held each end with vicegrips and slid it all the way down . I didn't have any intricate corners to do so it was a quick 2 cuts and done.

progressivly finer grits of sandpaper on the edge and it has a smooth edge . I'm building a General Lee Shee so when the weather warms up on goes the Orange Paint .