DIY timing plate mod

jimbob

could some one please point me in the direction of a thread where it show/explains how to do the diy slotting on the stock timing plate?

yes im a cheap skate and i bought a degree key and YES my banshee chewed it to little tiny small peices 5 minutes after unloading it from the trailer, BUT in my defence ANY decent banshee performance parts have to be imported here from the US and the adj timing plate not on the list of "important" things at the minute.

:biggrin:

cant help ya with the instructions but i do have this...

nelson_haha.jpg

you get what you pay for, you mise well do the job the right way and not be a cheap ass.

Honestly, if its not done on a mill with a rotary table, your just shootin in the dark as to the proper radius to grind the holes. You might get it close, but for 35 bucks, I would just buy one, and for 50 you can get a nice one from Chariot. When you look at what is left for the bolt heads to clamp onto after your done grinding, you will see that its just cutting it too close. Sure it was done like that back in the day, but were not in the day, and you can get a nice product for cheap. I looked into the DIY method, not worth it IMO, and I'm cheap as they come.

i've seen alot of home done timing plate mods, some good some not so good...

if you take your time and have a stable hand you can make it work and the bottom line is that your flywheel and pickup cant tell the difference between a moded stock plate or a shiny aftermarket plate....

i guess the real question is how much of an advance are you trying to gain?

if it's more than 3-4 degrees then you need to buy a new plate...

you can do it with a few drill bits, a grinder or dremel, and a few hand files. I have done this mod myself, i got 4.5 degrees out of the stock plate. it took about an hour. i saved about 35 bucks, so i made the equivalent of 35 an hour.

the only thing you really need to buy is a flywheel removal tool.

not bad.

I would rather have a plate with gradient marks rather than guestimating how much advance I'm giving it...but that's just me.

I think you can only get 4 or 5 out of the stocker, what if the motor wants 7 or 8?

Speaking of..just moved my stator to this. Strength of billet, half the price of a pro-design.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Banshee-606...sQ5fAccessories

anyone know ??

been covered 100 times, try searching, in short give you some extra low end grunt due to the firing before the piston reaches TDC, which will inturn raise the operating temprature of the motor. ta da!

Edited by magz