Steel sprockets that last

glamisaurus

Bought new chain and sprockets from Rocky Mountain ATV. The teeth on the steel rear sprocket were bent over in one day of riding. What brands have you had better luck with?

ive had good luck with any steel sprocket just not aluminum and dont over tighten the chain normally i get sunstar sprockets and they usually last forever and there inexpensive

I have 2 banshees and one has the original chain with about 60 hours on it and the other I replaced the chain only cuz I put a plus four swinger on it...both have never shown any signs of wear.

The only reason I believe a chain or sprockets would wear prematurally is that it was not adjusted right (either too tight or loose) and the other is that it isn't being cleaned and lubricated properly.

When I adjust my chain, I sit on the bike and then check freeplay which I set at about 1 inch. As for cleaning it, I take the chain off after every dune trip and clean and lube it to get all the debris out of it.

I have a buddy who on our last trip to glamis, his chain was so taught that it wasn't bending properly in some places. I could see how this would eat sprockets as well!

I would suggest taking the chain off and checking it even if it relatively new.

Hope this helps!

im calling bullshit.. so youre telling me that you bought steel sprockets, and the teeth bent after one day of riding? i dont believe it.

i run a 10mm cub motor and ive been running steel primary drive sprockets for the rear of it for a long time. ive never come close to bending the teeth on a sprocket.

i have about 4 of those things in every size they come. ive run them all. they all look fine and i dont even replace my chain regularly.

post some pictures up of your sprocket and what brand was it?

The only way that I can think of getting bent teeth, is if you're bottoming out on something real hard, and they're getting fucked up. Even then it's hard to bend teeth. I do not have a chain guard, and I've smacked some shit pretty hard with the rear sprocket, and never hurt the it or the chain. You're doing something to cause that damage.