Torque specs

fitz18

i torque my cases,head and clutch,every thing else is by feel.also when not using your torque wrench always when not using it, set it back to zero so there isn't tension on it when not being used,this way it wont have to be calibrated as often.

set it back to zero so there isn't tension on it when not being used,this way it wont have to be calibrated as often.

Here I thought I was the only one that did that. I think we need mythbusters to prove it...LOL.

My old shop teacher in high school always told us this...but, he's was old school.

Here I thought I was the only one that did that. I think we need mythbusters to prove it...LOL.

My old shop teacher in high school always told us this...but, he's was old school.

i just found out about it like 4 years ago,ive been buying tools off the tool trucks since i was 15 and i will be 43 in january. the snap on dude told me that like 4 years ago when i purchased an inch pound torque wrench.i was like why didnt someone tell me this about $50 grand ago.

If you are using a torque wrench you should not take feel out of the question.If you have a torque wrench that isn't calibrated properly or a cheap one and you tighten something with it you can either snap off a bolt or not get it tight enough. A faulty or low quality torque wrench can give you a false sense of security and a foot lbs torque wrench is not very accurate at low settings. I would trust and inch pounder more at these lower torque values.

If you are using a torque wrench you should not take feel out of the question.If you have a torque wrench that isn't calibrated properly or a cheap one and you tighten something with it you can either snap off a bolt or not get it tight enough. A faulty or low quality torque wrench can give you a false sense of security and a foot lbs torque wrench is not very accurate at low settings. I would trust and inch pounder more at these lower torque values.

i agree 100% i have several quality torque wrenches and i like the 2 inch pound torque wrenches i have best,not only because there more accurate but also because of their size,i have a 1/4'' and a 3/8" drive inch pound torque wrenches and able to use them in tight spaces with accuracy.ive learned my lesson using cheapo junk ones years ago.if i was going to use a cheap one though it would be a needle pointer style and go by feel as well.for all the guys that have broke off bolts here and there it may be a good idea to replace the bolts after they have been torqued a few times.especially on important bolts like head bolts etc.