What is wrong?

desertt67

okay so yesterday we were out riding in the dunes and we line up to drag than all the sudden right out of the holeshot the engine ceases up and dies and it wont kick over it is frozen. Also when we hooked it up to a bike to tow it it wouldnt go into neutral it would only do up in gears but not down. So we just held in the clutch and started to tow it than after about 3 miles the clutch went out and wouldnt even disengage the gears so it was jammed completely. The wheels wouldnt roll because the gears were locked up.

When we got home we tried putting it in neutral again and it worked however the clutch still had freeplay. The engine has already had the pistons re-placed by the yamaha mechanics because of broken rings and they said that there wasnt enough oil in the machine, however we run what the book recommends 25:1. We cannot figure out what is wrong, so before we take it to the shop again i want to see if i can find anything that would help. The mods are T-6s, K&N filters with outerwears, and jetting. The thing is is that the bike was running completely fine all day long as for the past 6 weeks and now it decideds to crap out whats up with that?

okay so yesterday we were out riding in the dunes and we line up to drag than all the sudden right out of the holeshot the engine ceases up and dies and it wont kick over it is frozen. Also when we hooked it up to a bike to tow it it wouldnt go into neutral it would only do up in gears but not down. So we just held in the clutch and started to tow it than after about 3 miles the clutch went out and wouldnt even disengage the gears so it was jammed completely. The wheels wouldnt roll because the gears were locked up.

When we got home we tried putting it in neutral again and it worked however the clutch still had freeplay. The engine has already had the pistons re-placed by the yamaha mechanics because of broken rings and they said that there wasnt enough oil in the machine, however we run what the book recommends 25:1. We cannot figure out what is wrong, so before we take it to the shop again i want to see if i can find anything that would help. The mods are T-6s, K&N filters with outerwears, and jetting. The thing is is that the bike was running completely fine all day long as for the past 6 weeks and now it decideds to crap out whats up with that?

First off, since it is a constant mesh transmission it will be hard to shift if the crank won't rotate. It's very hard to say what seized in the engine as it could be your piston, rod bearings, main bearings or broken piston skirt jammed in the crankcase ect. If you are mechancically inclined I recommend you get a clymers manual and tear it apart yourself to determine where the problem is. You will also need to determine what caused the problem to prevent it from doing this again, air leak, jetting, fuel ect. As for your clutch, you may have welded the ball to the shaft. You will have to remove your clutch cover and tear the clutch apart to determine if this is so. I highly recommend intalling a pancake bearing to replace the factory yamaha clutch disengagement adjuster. This mod will prevent the ball from welding again, they are about $50 from cascade innovations.

Yep you now have a welded ball and rod since you towed your banshee with the clutch pulled in.

that makes no sense, i thought that when you have the clutch pulled in it disengages the gears so why would it matter if the clutch was pulled in or not the bike is in the shop i will find out what is wrong in two days i will let you know...

the ball and rod is what pushes up against your clutch....being towed for that long will definitely heat up those parts and possibly weld them. and it does matter.

this is true, banshee's are known for that happening.

First off, since it is a constant mesh transmission it will be hard to shift if the crank won't rotate. It's very hard to say what seized in the engine as it could be your piston, rod bearings, main bearings or broken piston skirt jammed in the crankcase ect. If you are mechancically inclined I recommend you get a clymers manual and tear it apart yourself to determine where the problem is. You will also need to determine what caused the problem to prevent it from doing this again, air leak, jetting, fuel ect. As for your clutch, you may have welded the ball to the shaft. You will have to remove your clutch cover and tear the clutch apart to determine if this is so. I highly recommend intalling a pancake bearing to replace the factory yamaha clutch disengagement adjuster. This mod will prevent the ball from welding again, they are about $50 from cascade innovations.

Anybody have a working link to cascade innovations? thanks in advanced

I have been around banshees since they first started building them, I have owned 9 of them in total, The one I have now has been featured in a magazine. I grew up on the Oregon coast with my parents house being dune access I used to ride more in a month than 10 other people in a year. I have been active in the busniess for most of my life and I have never seen the ball welded in the clutch linkage let alone it welding from pulling the bike with the clutch in...makes me wonder what you have to do to make this happen. I guess holding in the clutch in and reving up the motor for a long period of time I guess....

I have been around banshees since they first started building them, I have owned 9 of them in total, The one I have now has been featured in a magazine. I grew up on the Oregon coast with my parents house being dune access I used to ride more in a month than 10 other people in a year. I have been active in the busniess for most of my life and I have never seen the ball welded in the clutch linkage let alone it welding from pulling the bike with the clutch in...makes me wonder what you have to do to make this happen. I guess holding in the clutch in and reving up the motor for a long period of time I guess....

regardless of it not happening to you it DOES happen. pancake bearing is a good idea when you open cases

I guess holding in the clutch in and reving up the motor for a long period of time I guess....

Why would that do it. When the banshee is running in gear with the clutch pulled in the center hub, and pressure plate are not turning.

When the problem happens is when the clutch is pulled in for long periods of time when the banshee is moving. IE Costing down big hills, Towing it with the clutch pulled in, letting it winde down on the dyno with the clutch pulled in.