High Heat Paint on Pipes

Frogger

I was thinking of painting a set of bare banshee pipes with high heat paint. I want a different finish of black (glossy) then the manufacture offers in a pc'd black. Trying to see if it holds up, looks good etc etc. I'd just be doing it myself from a can or gun. I've read some things after doing a search but was hoping to get a little more input.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if you will be able to find a gloss black that will hold up to the heat.

Dupli Color's engine paint is rated up to 500 Deg. They have a matte black that is good up to 1200 deg.

What I would do is paint the whole expansion chamber with the 1200 deg paint. Let it dry and cure it. Then go back and paint the exhaust with the Gloss 500 deg paint. I would probably leave the first 8 in or so the matte black. That is where the exhaust is going to be the hottest. Probably to hot for the 500 deg paint.

Or just get the pipes in the high heat powder coat from the manufacture and paint directly over it with the gloss black, Leaving the first 8 in the powdercoat.

The first layer of pc or 1200 deg paint will help insulate the heat so it wont damage the 500 deg paint as easy.

dont to it bro!! unless u ride sand cause i did mine and i ride trails and the mud like stained itself to the paint. thats just my 2 cents

What kind of paint did you use?

Toyboxx painted the pipes I got off of him, but whatever he used didn't last long. I don't think it had a good heat rating because near high heat areas was where I had problems... (mostly header area...you can see in my sig, but that was when they were newer...it wore down a bit more.) The non-high heat areas are flawless. Sometimes spilled oil/gas/mud will stain them, but after a deep clean of the bike it usually goes away for me.

I'm sanding them down and plan on using 1500* black grill paint.

Let me know what works for you please.

• 4 years later...

I used Hi temp BBQ paint 1500* as a base coat, used abut three cans of it, maybe 5 good coats, I let it cure over a week, Then I used VHT Brake Caliper paint rated for 900* as a top coat. I did about 3 Coats of that. any they look great.

Ya I went to the states today, ended up getting "Rust-oleum" High heat 2000 F in a flat black.  I saw the caliper paint as well, they had it in a gloss black which I would prefer. 

I used Hi temp BBQ paint 1500* as a base coat, used abut three cans of it, maybe 5 good coats, I let it cure over a week, Then I used VHT Brake Caliper paint rated for 900* as a top coat. I did about 3 Coats of that. any they look great.

def gonna try that, ill take a look on the FB page, dunno where to look,   could u email me them? s_lyth@hotmail.com