Banshee or 450? Anyone make the switch?

zabobmx

I am looking to buy a new (new to me atleast) bike. I have had 4 Banshee's throughout the years and love them. Recently, a few of my buddies bought bikes and have begun to ride every weekend. The problem is that the place where they go is very trail oriented, probably 80% trails. There are some wide open trails but there are others that are slow going. I took my last Banshee out there once and remember that it got pretty hot on some of the trails due to the fact that not a whole lot of air was being forced into the radiator.

My question is this, who has made the switch from a Banshee to a YZF 450? What are your opinons on the switch? I feel like the 450 might be a better choice for this type of riding. I will still be doing some drag racing on sand and dirt, just not as much as trail riding. I am looking at buying either a Banshee or YZF 450 ranging from the years 2001 to 2005. Any year models that I should stay away from or really look for?

Also is there anyone that uses their Banshee for both, ie drag racing and trail riding. The drag racing would only be betewen me and my buddies bikes. If I was to get a Banshee, is there any mods that I can do to help with the cooling such as an electric fan etc?

Sorry for so many questions. It's been a few years since I have had a bike and have not kept up with the latest trends. Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by zabobmx

Honestly bro, its up to you. It's personal preference and $$$$. You can make a killer trail bike out of a banshee with the right pipe and port set up & of course suspension. Stock for stock the 450 would be a better set up. If you want to be original and different, I'd say go with the banshee and set her up for trails.

As far as cooling a banshee, throw in some Engine Ice and add a billet impeller and that should help a bunch.

i own both.. a banshee and a 450r.. my 450r is pretty well built and if i had to make a choice between it and the banshee the banshee would go.. but thats only becouse of how much i have into it.

i set the banshee up with some works shocks and it rides well seems to be pretty nimble in the woods..

i think if your going to do mostly trails a 450 would be the way to go..just due to the torque and ease of throwing it around... especially if they are tight trails..

dont get me wrong if you get a smokin deal on a shee then i dont think you can go wrong.

they are 2 totally different machines.. if you like the feel and power of 2 stroke then get one.

i really dont lose drags on the 450r but i have ALOT of money into it to get it where i wanted it.. i have half the money in my banshee and it is easier to rebuild and work on and i enjoy riding it just as much!

prob not much help but htere ya go lol

later aaron

A friend of mine pointed out that the reason the newer 4 stroke Yammies seems better is that they have enjoyed more technology upgrades over time much more so than the Banshee. As pointed out, the technology on a Banshee is that the motor is 80s technology, the brakes are 90s and the suspension somewhere in between. Whey you see a YZF you are seeing the latest Tech on the market and the machine feels "new". Personally I love two strokes and how much cheaper they are to own than a four stroke, but the YZF is a very fine machine.

If I had never rode a Banshee before buying the one I have I would have bought a YFZ not knowing any better. Its that good.

YFZs have issues, especially older than the 2006, or whenever they added the oil mod. I'd stay away from older than 06 if you go with the YFZ. HOnda 450Rs seem to bullet proof, however. You'll spend too much time and money making the Banshee as fun on the most trails as even a bone stock 450, imo.

YFZs have issues, especially older than the 2006, or whenever they added the oil mod. I'd stay away from older than 06 if you go with the YFZ. HOnda 450Rs seem to bullet proof, however. You'll spend too much time and money making the Banshee as fun on the most trails as even a bone stock 450, imo.

04 05 450rs had crank bearing problems but the newer ones were upgraded to include a collar.. that said i rode my 04 450r into the ground for 2 years before i had my 1st crank fail.

the 04,05 yfz had oling issues that were corrected.. but the oil mod is easy to do.. as well as the cam mod which turns the yfz into a beast! we have 2 04 yfz's and they are great bikes!

For the type of riding you're describing I would go with the banshee. A -2 swinger, some decent suspension, billet impeller and other odds and ends bring it up to be a fantastic trail bike in my opinion. The banshee is hands down the most comfortable bike out there again my opinion and they're so much cheaper to buy and then maintain. The money you save can easily update the susp. and brakes. You can use the yfz calipers and spindles etc... for th same updated stopping power. The -2 swinger some +1 forward a arms correct the handling, a billet impeller and or an oversized radiator and the banshee will never over heat again, steering stabalizer for comfort and controle. The list goes on..

Now as for the track that's where the 450's in my eyes start walking away from the banshee simply because you can't just change the geometry of the frame like you can the components. The banshee geometry doesn't allow for high end true longtravel set ups. Hence my hybrid project you may notice in my sig. :happy:

I want to get another banshee as soon as I can to do the type of riding you're describing.

I really appreciate all the help so far, especially the comments about common problems in the early YZF 450's.

My background is in 2 strokes and I can pretty much do all the work myself. I tore my last two Banshee's down to the bare frame and rebuilt them over the winters. This is a major factor in my choice as I have zero expierence in working on the newer 4 strokes. The last thing I want to do is have someting go wrong (espically major engine work) and have to take it to a shop to perfom the repairs.

Money is not the most improtant factor but I do have a budget. That budget will depend on the bike that I choose. Obviously I would allocate more toward a 450 but I do not know if I am ready to take the plunge and get an 06+ YZF since it would not be ridden all the time. That's why I was thinking about an older model (04 -05) but after hearing some of the problems, I am kinda leaning back toward a Banshee.

My plan for the shee was to find one that was a little rough and rebuild it. While down, I would upgrade all the necessary accessories to make it a decent trail/ drag bike.

Please keep the comments coming about the 450's as I would still like to hear the pro's/con's to both.

Also, while on the subject (although after reading numerous threads on this site it's looks as though it has been beat to death) what mods would you suggest to make a Banshee competitve against stock 450's such as the YFZ and TRX? If I built another Banshee I would still like to beat my buddies bikes but be dependable on the trails as well. Also I would like to add that I am a good rider while they are just getting into it :biggrin:

Again, thanks in advance! You guys have already been a lot of help.

For the type of riding you're describing I would go with the banshee. A -2 swinger, some decent suspension, billet impeller and other odds and ends bring it up to be a fantastic trail bike in my opinion. The banshee is hands down the most comfortable bike out there again my opinion and they're so much cheaper to buy and then maintain. The money you save can easily update the susp. and brakes. You can use the yfz calipers and spindles etc... for th same updated stopping power. The -2 swinger some +1 forward a arms correct the handling, a billet impeller and or an oversized radiator and the banshee will never over heat again, steering stabalizer for comfort and controle. The list goes on..

Now as for the track that's where the 450's in my eyes start walking away from the banshee simply because you can't just change the geometry of the frame like you can the components. The banshee geometry doesn't allow for high end true longtravel set ups. Hence my hybrid project you may notice in my sig. :happy:

I want to get another banshee as soon as I can to do the type of riding you're describing.

Great post and advice. Thanks!

My banshee is set up for trails. It goes excellent. I could stand to use some front shocks but outside of that its great. Make sure you get a billet impeller, and a temp gauge you will be fine. You can pick up a banshee that runs and rides around here for as low as 1000.00 Throw another 1,000 at it and you will be hauling balls. It might be hard to find a good 450 under 3k

My banshee is set up for trails. It goes excellent. I could stand to use some front shocks but outside of that its great. Make sure you get a billet impeller, and a temp gauge you will be fine. You can pick up a banshee that runs and rides around here for as low as 1000.00 Throw another 1,000 at it and you will be hauling balls. It might be hard to find a good 450 under 3k

yeah, like he said.

I like the ride of my shee over a raptor/400ex/450r/yfz when you are ripping through the bumps. Like spreading velveta on toast

hey buddy i had the exact same problem to choose between my banshee and 450. ( was was riding trails plus flat track) i bought a 05 yfz450 last winter . rode it through the winter. while modding it ( pipe nerf. intake jets. the basics ) on the flat track it handled amazing. the power was all there. i took quite a few hole shots that i never got with my banshee. i ran my fastest time on the 1/2 mile oval. almost beat a guy with a banshee ALL done up. and i was on his ass the whole race ( on a stock 05) and im have been riding for 3 years... trail riding is the best with the 450! .... if i was to do it all over again i would of bought a 450 right from the start.

my advice get a 450. ( yfz) and it wont let you down!!! :thumbsup:

With just basic mods (pipe filter etc) I would say the LTR would be the best buy.

Bolt on for bolt on seems like the fastest / best bike for the buck IMHO.

I have 3 banshee's

bolt on duner (just short of carbs and porting has been done to this one)

Wifes bike (no suspension work or ignition on this one)

and the drag bike (Hill / strip only bike)

If i bought a new or even used 450 i would get the LTR

The suzuki doesn't need shocks or a-arms just have to tune them for your riding style/comfort.

get a pipe/filter, cherry bomb and drop the front sprocket 1 tooth and you are golden.

Unless your racing get the Banshee!

Much more fun to ride then a YFZ, and will keep up with the 450s all day long with a couple mods. Parts for the shee are much much cheaper, and the Banshee is way easier to work on. Sure its technology, but it's also proven to work, and there is a ton of info to be had on them.

Check out the 2001 Trail banshee in my sig. (shameless self promotion)

I have owned numerous banshees, and all the top manufacturers 450s. I will say that each has there own ups and downs, same with "common problems". In my opinion, the yfz is the best of the bunch, I have owned: 2-'04s, 1-'05, 1-'06, and 1-'07. As far as problems, I really haven't had any, my '05 had the common coolant leak which is a simple fix. As the oil problem goes, none of the older ones had the problems so I never felt the concern, and if it does concern you it can be addressed with a 200ish dollar fix. I would/will never buy a trx450r again, every problem that could have happened...happened. The ltr450 I haven't had a problem with and do like the machine quite a bit but want to keep things uniformed and ride all the same. There are a few simple/little things suzuki could have done better on the ltr.

P.S There is nothing better than just adding straight gas, no dicking around wiht oil and fouled plugs.

Edited by szewczyd