more help on my banshee

Mat Holland

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we put new gaskets on it, new piston's new rings, honed the cylinder, measure the cylinder to make sure it didn't have to be bored and sleeved. Everything was fresh. Went and bought 6 new plugs. Went through them getting the jetting right. Just cleaned them up after words. I took the carbs off the other day and cleaned them, i put them back on and tried starting it today, and the mother fucker was like stuck wide open, i hurried and shut it off. Im guessing either the needle came out of the main jet when i was screwing piece that holds the neeedle in, or possible just the cleaner that was being used caused it to idle high? I haven't got to ride it since I got the carbs cleaned out so that may have fixed the popping, that and getting new plugs. Thanks for all the help guys, I still need help with the antifreeze problem, and possibly with the popping, i will update that tomorrow probably.

check to see if your carb slides are operating up and down all the way with out starting it.also check to see if you have a kink in the throttle cable.your coolant leaking from the overflow tube could be several things.check the cooling system impeller/water pump.could be the head gasket blown or not installed correctly.see if you have pressure building up b4 it gets to operating temp.the popping could be several things,could be ignition,timing,air leak carbs etc.get a service manual will make things clearer for you diagnosing problems and future problems.good luck.

ive got a clymer manual, but I am thinking about just taking it to the shop. Because im getting pissed its just sitting in the garage, unridable, it makes me sick because I can't ride the beast. I can assure you that the gaskets was put in fine. I was told to try a new radiator cap to see if that takes care of my water problem, but still the fucking popping, i tried new plugs, and cleaned my carbs out, but still no good. The tubing that goes between the carbs, well I am going to try a new hose, but I don't think that is the problem on the popping. Anything else?

ive got a clymer manual, but I am thinking about just taking it to the shop. Because im getting pissed its just sitting in the garage, unridable, it makes me sick because I can't ride the beast. I can assure you that the gaskets was put in fine. I was told to try a new radiator cap to see if that takes care of my water problem, but still the fucking popping, i tried new plugs, and cleaned my carbs out, but still no good. The tubing that goes between the carbs, well I am going to try a new hose, but I don't think that is the problem on the popping. Anything else?

The popping sounds to me you might have the carbs. out of sink....the water problem could be a head gasket and will also give you the popping might want to do a pressure test...

Sounds to me like your carbs are out of synch for starters.

Rip off whatever you have for an intake/airbox, so you can see the slides.

Now push and release the throttle at a rate that you can see how the slides pick up and move.

A) Do they move at the same time?

B) Are they resting at the same height, or all the way shut when you aren't on any throttle?

C) Do you even have TORS?

D) Did you rip apart the carbs and check them?

(Something as small as a washer in the carb missing can shut down 1/2 your motor above idle, for example.)

-> Check for air leaks.

Matt, I suggest since you don't really read or reply to questions or suggestions people make on here, you might be better off just taking it in the shop. There is a process of troubleshooting that goes along with trying to diagnose and fix motor troubles. This process would require that you reply to the questions and try the suggestions that people give you and then post the results. You just keep asking for help and I am sorry to say there is never just 1 easy answer when trying to fix a problem that you can't even see.

I agree.

You have to be able to check certain things, and do things for us to allow us to "remotely work on your bike."

Without enough information, steady communication, things like that---it's going to be impossible for us to help.

The cutaways on the slides should face the rear--the nothces on the sides should face their respective side.

IE., there's notches in the slides for when you remove the TORS--the left carbs slide should have a notch facing to the left, with the cutaway to the rear. Same goes for the right one.