more help on my banshee

Mat Holland

I took a look at my slides, and they have the cutout facing the rear of the quad. I do know that when I adjusted my carbs by the little eyelette on the carbs and you match the little black piece, it seem like it ran alot better, and i know its still not perfect. So I am hoping that it takes care of that when I sync it. Is there anything else that I can check? Should I do a pressure test on the banshee? Also, another question, I bought the clamp on outerwears k&n air filters for stock carbs, that eliminate the airbox, will I have to rejet with those?

Definitely get them in sync first. does it run well enough to go out and do a plug chop? As long as you are sure your not dealing with an air leak or something. Pull your plugs right now and see how they look dark or light.

As far as the filters, make sure they are not oiled too much. To answer the question about jetting, more air means a need for more fuel but I wouldn't change jets until you really know where you are at to begin with so do a plug check.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't going to do anything until i got them syncd first. I believe that Is my problem, because I did some adjusting by sight, i ran it down the road, and it seemed like it was alot better than what it was. How do you do a plug chop?

Take it out and warm it up on some used plugs (the ones you have in it now).

Take some brand new plugs and a wrench with you.

Find a nice long straightaway

Put the new plugs in

Start it and take off wind it up to full throttle through ALL gears

Once you hit 6th gear, pull in the clutch, KEEP it at FULL throttle and then hit the kill switch and coast to a stop

Pull the new plugs out PUT THE RIGHT PLUG IN YOUR RIGHT POCKET AND LEFT PLUG IN LEFT POCKET and put the old ones back in and ride home

You can either look down the ceramic on the new plugs with a flashlight or you can cut away the threads to get a better view

What you want to see is about a 3 mm cardboard brown ring around the base of the ceramic. Darker (rich) lighter(lean)

If you need us to look at it then post a pic of the plugs.

Alright, I will do that once i get it back together. But one problem. I have no kill switch. And im gonna burn the fuck out of my hand whenever I change the plugs.

You don't have a kill tether or anything? And yeah just bring some gloves to change the plugs, I've burnt myself too... :biggrin:

Alright, I will do that once i get it back together. But one problem. I have no kill switch. And im gonna burn the fuck out of my hand whenever I change the plugs.

Just in case you missed it, it is imperative that you PULL THE CLUTCH AND KILL THE MOTOR WHILE STILL WIDE OPEN, so if you don't have a kill switch or tether, you will need one to plug chop. You must pull the clutch and kill almost simultaneously as failure to kill it will result in crazy over rev, and failure to clutch will result in the motor still moving with wet fuel charge and ruining your plug check. Good luck!

Ok, I got my impeller in, and It fixed my water problem. It is still popping, it seemed like it was fine, but after I rode it a bit and actually started getting into the power band then It started popping, and didn't want to run right. Whenever it was time to idle, it seemed like it wanted to die. I got my sync tool, but I don't know how to get the stock airbox off, I cant figure it out. But still, they should be sync'd pretty close. I also noticed, that the tube that comes out of the carb, and the screw you loosen that drains it, that hose is leaking out some gas. Also, I might have got some bad gas, and I am going to try some new gas.

Thanks for all of the help guys, im 17 and im pretty much doing all the maintance on it myself, and I really appreciate it.