Banshee build going baddddddddd

gclark63

Ok, so the banshee quit me my last ride out. It would not start, getting a spark but don't look very consistant. So far I have replaced the following, coil, plug wires, and boots, new stator and pick-up. New top end, compression at 155 -160psi (elevation 3780). pistons 66.5mm, hot rod connecting rods, 22 cc domes, new reeds, cleaned carbs and fuel system. New plugs. It acts like it wants to start but just wont. timing is at +4. Bought a new CDI (AMR stage 2), it came in DOA. sent it back for another one. Anyone got any Ideas or clues, I am almost out of money to throw at it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so the banshee quit me my last ride out. It would not start, getting a spark but don't look very consistant. So far I have replaced the following, coil, plug wires, and boots, new stator and pick-up. New top end, compression at 155 -160psi (elevation 3780). pistons 66.5mm, hot rod connecting rods, 22 cc domes, new reeds, cleaned carbs and fuel system. New plugs. It acts like it wants to start but just wont. timing is at +4. Bought a new CDI (AMR stage 2), it came in DOA. sent it back for another one. Anyone got any Ideas or clues, I am almost out of money to throw at it.

Make sure your grounding is good. good luck!

did you set the pickup gap? are they stock carbs with the choke tube?crossovertube good? carb bowls filling up all the way?(float height) Good ground on the electrical?

pick up gaps is at .20, they are 28mm mikuni, new cross over tube, bowls have good levels, The ground is at the regulator, correct? That is the only place I have seen a ground.It seems to be good.

maybe just pull that ground bolt and clean ther and reinstall.worth a shot. actually my bike ran with that out.Just blew the headlight bulbs

I'll check that out and make sure it is getting good ground. I have kicked on that thing so much i have had to hire the nieghbor hood kids to kick on it for me. Sure makes a 4-stroke with electric start look good. LOL

Oh and every once in a while it will kick back and almost break your ankle, the last bike I had that kick back like that was an old 1986 yz490. Had a devistating kick back.

out of curiosity,did you pull the jets and completely remove the carbs from the bike and disect them on a bench to 100% clean those biatches?

Yes sir

and used a can of carb cleaner on each and blew them out real good, replaces air screw and spring, cleaned pilot jet, air jet, and main jet. All new hoses,etc

Sounds like your covered most everything. It must be the raptor plastics.. lol.. Had to throw that in there. So have you inspected the wiring harness? Any burns or breaks? Did you put the new reeds in before or after it died? Possible broken reed? Usually they will start with a broken reed but barely run. Check and clean all electrical connections. Good luck with that, if you figure it out let us know what it was!

Sounds like your covered most everything. It must be the raptor plastics.. lol.. Had to throw that in there. So have you inspected the wiring harness? Any burns or breaks? Did you put the new reeds in before or after it died? Possible broken reed? Usually they will start with a broken reed but barely run. Check and clean all electrical connections. Good luck with that, if you figure it out let us know what it was!

Well crap, I didn't think to check the plastic ,lol.

Just put new reeds in, old reeds were not sealing well and one had a small crack. As far as I can tell all wiring is fine. I hope the new CDI box does the trick! Will keep you posted.