need some input on dvd head units

lookin to maybe get an aftermarket head unit for my 2005 cummins. was gonna just throw a cd head unit in, but then thought having a flip up LCD with dvd function might be kinda tight for the long trips. does anyone have one of these? can you watch it while driving down the road? i noticed a lot of them said you can only watch dvd's in park..well fuck that.. so i need some links, brands, prices and all that nonsense..

my bud had a nice Pioneer one in his Frontier all touchscreen baddass setup comes with the in dash and a computer to it that u mount like under the seat or so cost around 1k maybe cheaper, ya most of them u have to have it in park but F that i think he left the wire for it not hooked up or just grounded out

loco all the new shit says you can only watch in park but its just a simple matter of knowing what your doing when installing them. you can choose the one you like yourself because any of them can be bypassed. its just some dumb law they made.(to be broken) of course. i would hook you up but i think your way toooooo far away. just talk to an installer at like best buy or somehting they most likley will work with you and bypass it

yea i figured there was a way around that fuckin nonsense. i wont install myself. i know a guy who owns a car/home audio and video store. my dads known him since high school so i get good deals and no install charges..im just tryin to get an idea of which head units i can stick a dvd in and watch them. i dont really wanna have to fuck with an external dvd player..im just tryin to see which ones can do this and which ones work well. if i have to use an external dvd player im scrappin the whole idea and just goin with a regular nice head unit...thanks for the input!

i dont think my spot is that big. thats pretty fuckin huge. my factory system has an in dash 6 disc changer. mine is kinda oval lookin, not a big square like that.. so the flip out ones are junk huh? makes sense..the more moving parts the more chance something can go wrong.

Tyler, I would look at the Alpine units, like a d300 or something close to your price range. I've had one for 5 yrs. You also have to buy the bypass circuit that they use for display boards and such and I think they can be found through pacparts.com. Also check etronics.com for the head unit. I've purchased from them in the past and they are hard to beat.

I have the clarion VRX935 VD the thing is pretty sweet. I have a PS2 hooked up to it as well. There are a few brands out there that some like more than others. Just to name a few Clarion, Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer. I personally do not like the pioneer unit, it have a gyroscope in it for the montion detect, which trying to by-pass will void the warranty on the unit. The alpine units have awesome screens they have the touch pluse to let you know your selection was accepted witht he touch screen, down side is getting to the screen while driving. You need a toggle switch and flip it on of on off on off on... However there is a flip switch they sell something like 50 buck that will do this for you.. Kenwood's new double din if you have the room for it is a great unit, has the navigation, touch screen, dvd and camera input options. If I ever get rid of my clarion this wil be the unit I am going with. The bypass is as simple as grounding the saftey brake wire. Clarion I have had this unit for about 2 years now with no issues, touch screen,dvd, and flip screen. One of my biggest gripes with this unit is how far out of the dash it sits. The bypass again was just ground out the brake switch.

well i decided to go with a kenwood unit. the guy i always buy my stuff from and who does my installs recommended it. its a pretty sweet unit. and i just have to ground out the park wire to be able to watch it all the time..this thing has a lot of shit on it. and its touchscreen.. heres the link if anyone wants to check it out..

click here