tz and max load bearings

BLOODRAGE

was about to install the max load bearing but i stumbled on this looking for a pic of the tz installed

http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4385&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=0f11e95028d8dc6a1c3064f3d84b6861

say eff it and install the maxload or what?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was about to install the max load bearing but i stumbled on this looking for a pic of the tz installed

http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4385&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=0f11e95028d8dc6a1c3064f3d84b6861

say eff it and install the maxload or what?

I run maxloads on all my cranks. Some of what they are saying is true and some is false and just a sales gimmick. The more surface area you have in the bearing to spread the load onto, the better off you are.

This has been covered before, nothing new there. I wouldn't believe the SKF salesman over Steve Rothwell, more balls can carry more radial load, period.

Straight cuts and a method to retain the crank in its axial position are compulsory for running roller bearings.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=147971

Did you know, when an all steel ball bearing rotates, it creates static load with in itself, holding it back from rotating freely ?? So the more balls in the bearing the more static load it is going to create. Wouldn't it be better to invest in some high dollar ceramic bearings?

Adam

ugggh that thread is such BS>

ceramics wont take a shock like a piston firing. thats also cover'd in some threads where peeps have tried ceramic in everything.. and then had dust through out their motor's/..

roller bearings are excellent IF you dont buy cheap ass junk ass chinese shit and se them up corectley.

ugggh that thread is such BS>

ceramics wont take a shock like a piston firing. thats also cover'd in some threads where peeps have tried ceramic in everything.. and then had dust through out their motor's/..

roller bearings are excellent IF you dont buy cheap ass junk ass chinese shit and se them up corectley.

A lot of the top racers are using Ceramic Crank bearings. Some of those guys have 2k invested in their CRF 450 in just bearings. When at the national level, everything is the same on a bike and they need all the edge they can get and that comes with small improvements that gain a tenth of a foot of torque, ceramic bearings are just one way to reduce the friction. If those bearings only lasted a moto or it is doubtful they would be using them, being they are expensive. Most ceramic bearings produced are ceramic coated steel balls. The best ones are hand made of course.

If TZ bearings are not good for the side pull they why use them? Koyo bearings are some of the best on the market. They were specifically designed for the applications, Cranks, PTO and so on. Most bearings are designed for their application by the manufacturer and then there are re-manufactured bearings for each application. Wouldnt that mean that OEM bearings are held to a higher standard?

I might not know what I'm talking about but it seems logical to me.

myself i wouldnt use ceramics. some dude on another site tried ceramic ball bearings in place of the oem roller bearings and the ceramics exploded in a short amount of time. he got a learning experience to say the least. cylindrical rollers are you best bearing for handling high radial loads but they arent so good at side loads so you need straight cut gears but ball bearings do work fine for alot of engines if you use the skf explorer, nachi or koyo. if you can put rollers on both sides is the best way IMO , but some engines arent designed to accomidate that type of bearing on both sides

ticktock: roller bearing can handle some side load, just not a huge amount. with straight cut gears you should have very little side load

Edited by registered user

heres something interesting that pertains to ball vs rollers. i dont claim to know the exact reason the ball bearings were failing but my guess is the ball bearing just cant handle the torque or radial load in this particular scenario. at any rate, there was enough failures, ktm recognised there was a problem and posted a service bulletin and advised bike owners to upgrade to a roller bearing behind the clutch basket. 2stroke models supposedly didnt require the upgrade bearing according to the service bulletin but i swapped mine anyways for piece of mind.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73558

Edited by registered user