trails/mx banshee mods?

907banshee

belly skids work great for rocks but swing arm skids are a joke. I have smacked my disk hard quite a few times it has torn up the pads when it happens. But I just grind down the flared area on the disk and keep using it. My factory skid I tore it off 20 miles into the first race I did and shoved it through the side wall of the tire. Had to ride 30 miles on flat to change it. The aluminum ones would usually get torn off in a race maybe two and were just a waste of money. I have tried different brands and thikneses they usually do more damage to your swingarm and your wallet.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

x2 on the no skids. Of course I don't really ride rocky terrain, but no body skid for me and my stocker skid, although badly beaten, works for me. Probably gonna get another stocker cause they have the best ground clearance.

As for cheap mods, remove the airbox lid, take out the drain plug boot. Learn to hydroplane or avoid really deep puddles first. Add exhaust and rejet. Pro Circuits are nice and cheap. Any nice used pipes are good too.

Timing plate +4. This smoothes out your midrange and helps get rid of lag.

Reeds will help out your top end. You can just get the Boyson Power Reed petals and bolt them to your cages. Then cut off the rubber baffles on the cages for better flow.

Get your stock head shaved to make more power. It's the cheapest way and works.

Definately some kind of front aftermarket shocks. I bought my shocks used for 200 bucks. Anything is better then stock. Adjust the rear shock to suit.

TIRES! Raz'r or Holeshot HD's. Definately 6-ply.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. There is no better mod then seat time. Become one with the bike. Until it is a living, breathing, ass kicking, extension of yourself.

Good luck.

i love the last line!! thats some zen shit right there lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

first handeling mods suspension, a arms, steering stem antivibe with a steering stabilizer then worry about go fast mods. PT Mids are a good woods pipe, 4mil stroker with a lowend/midrange port job.

• 4 months later...
Hey bro my name is Mike I'm here in Anchorage, I've been lookin for other people from Alaska and your the first. I actually am building a Trail/MX bike also. I'm finding some sled shocks off graiglist for suspension upgrades, for the engine I'm going with Toomey T-5 pipes, Noss head with 20CC domes, trail porting from Anchorage Drag Bike, took the airbox lid off, and Wiseco pro-lite pistons, of course I have to re-jet, but maybe that will give you an idea... email me at 907badsheeracing@live.com and I can help you out and give you some more advice

wait ur sayin u found sled shocks that will fit?

post-32289-1241119230_thumb.jpg

Washburn is correct, i did the same thing he just said, I invested in the chassis first then the motor. A banshee is plenty fast the way it is with just pipes, an intake, and reeds. The thing i didnt like about the banshee was the chassis and handling. It handles great now with the set up I have.

Washburn is correct, i did the same thing he just said, I invested in the chassis first then the motor. A banshee is plenty fast the way it is with just pipes, an intake, and reeds. The thing i didnt like about the banshee was the chassis and handling. It handles great now with the set up I have.

your bike looks sweet in the corner do u have any bigger pics?

thanks

• 3 months later...

ok, a little late on replying, just now see this......

i ride mostly jim creek and sutton. 22/12/9's in the rear. save up for some suspension, once you get comfortable with it, you will tear everything up FAST!. not long and i have bent axle, cracked swinger, stripped sprocket hub (brake hub right behind, and worn wheel hub, all on the rear axle) toasted clutch, you get the pic. i run renthal bars, which can be found cheap as $10, and have the essential brace, i have some 2" longer fox clickers for the front shocks off a polaris, but you can match some up @ sngo salvage in anchorage, or power sport stuff near biglake. for power, i picked up a ptr powerhead (same as any coolhead) wth 20cc domes, modded the timing plate to +5, boysen dual stage reeds, and pro-circuit pipes. i run 50/50 90 and 100ll avgas, off king st. in anch. but you can run 21cc domes in the hed or get the stock one milled and still run 90. i also run full skid which is essential. i think the hubs might have held better if i installed the swinger skid. also, some dg nerfs. all baught dirt cheap off this site used. durablue axle, hubs and stuff in the mail, and going to do a 4mill stroker this fall when i get more money. i'm geared for mostly mid-low power, and it performs awesome in this terrain. all i have to do is stab the throttle and it'll launch off a whoop with no effort, as opposed to t-5's where i was aqlways timing the powerband and trying hard to controll the power on the trails. jetting is a must, and so is mantenance, which is cheap, too.

<!--quoteo(post=996944:date=May 1 2009, 01:58 PM:name=micorps1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (micorps1 @ May 1 2009, 01:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=996944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Washburn is correct, i did the same thing he just said, I invested in the chassis first then the motor. A banshee is plenty fast the way it is with just pipes, an intake, and reeds. The thing i didnt like about the banshee was the chassis and handling. It handles great now with the set up I have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

your bike looks sweet in the corner do u have any bigger pics?

thanks

Peterlocal22, here are the pics, just had a mild port and polish, bored cylinders, and vito's light weight pistons put in last month also. Sorry for the delay, I am deployed in the middle east right now. Enjoy. Tim

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Some dated pics

Banshee2.jpg

Peterlocal22, here are the pics, just had a mild port and polish, bored cylinders, and vito's light weight pistons put in last month also. Sorry for the delay, I am deployed in the middle east right now. Enjoy. Tim

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Some dated pics

Banshee2.jpg

sweet bike tim thnks for the pics

ok, a little late on replying, just now see this......

i ride mostly jim creek and sutton. 22/12/9's in the rear. save up for some suspension, once you get comfortable with it, you will tear everything up FAST!. not long and i have bent axle, cracked swinger, stripped sprocket hub (brake hub right behind, and worn wheel hub, all on the rear axle) toasted clutch, you get the pic. i run renthal bars, which can be found cheap as $10, and have the essential brace, i have some 2" longer fox clickers for the front shocks off a polaris, but you can match some up @ sngo salvage in anchorage, or power sport stuff near biglake. for power, i picked up a ptr powerhead (same as any coolhead) wth 20cc domes, modded the timing plate to +5, boysen dual stage reeds, and pro-circuit pipes. i run 50/50 90 and 100ll avgas, off king st. in anch. but you can run 21cc domes in the hed or get the stock one milled and still run 90. i also run full skid which is essential. i think the hubs might have held better if i installed the swinger skid. also, some dg nerfs. all baught dirt cheap off this site used. durablue axle, hubs and stuff in the mail, and going to do a 4mill stroker this fall when i get more money. i'm geared for mostly mid-low power, and it performs awesome in this terrain. all i have to do is stab the throttle and it'll launch off a whoop with no effort, as opposed to t-5's where i was aqlways timing the powerband and trying hard to controll the power on the trails. jetting is a must, and so is mantenance, which is cheap, too.

Pics of those fronts shocks please..On your bike.