Port pics and sizes.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jbooker82 Thanks what did thay do to the first set sand blast them or some thing?

The first set look like a simpler port, You don't have any more pics do you?

Chevshee

No I dont have any more pics. Yea the intakes are sand blasted. I would imagine it makes everyting look even and uniform. Helps smooth out the marks left from the porting tools. You dont want smooth intakes. Rougher ones promote Air and fuel mixing.

Looks can be deceiving.

The first set is actually my Patriot Racing 4mill Drag Port. The intake ports do roll down some but they are not as big as the second set. Bigger isnt always better.

The second (red) set is an MX port from a no name shop in KS. Victory Motor Sports in Moundridge. That is what the previous owner told me. They were on the bike when I bought it.

You dont want smooth intakes. Rougher ones promote Air and fuel mixing.

Many different opinions in my group and around the site about this. Fuel atomization is very important, there is plenty of turbulence going on in those cylinders regardless. I'm no pro at any of this by any means, but my bet is that if you used the same cylinders with a rough intake on a dyno compared to a smooth intake you wouldnt see ANY difference. I personally have a smooth intake (can see my face in them) and rough case halves and trinity intake (swirl intake). My buddies K&T ported cylidners are VERY smooth aswell (came that way), the only reason I smoothed mine out really. I figured that if K&T did them that way I would definately follow them rather than trinity. Which offen makes me think why wouldnt I get K&T ported cylinders instead on trinity lmao. But needless to say here is what I run:

Before:

bikepics-410736-full.jpg

After:

bikepics-412814-800.jpg

Exhaust and transfer heights and widths are going to be the biggest factor on how a port job performs. The main concept on intake design (which oddly enough is the first place 9 of 10 people look on a ported set of cylinders) is to increase flow without slowing velocity. I personally style my intakes very similar to the first set that jbooker posted. But, as said before...transfers and exhaust are really the biggest part to a good port job.

Exhaust and transfer heights and widths are going to be the biggest factor on how a port job performs. The main concept on intake design (which oddly enough is the first place 9 of 10 people look on a ported set of cylinders) is to increase flow without slowing velocity. I personally style my intakes very similar to the first set that jbooker posted. But, as said before...transfers and exhaust are really the biggest part to a good port job.

Do you do porting? I have hear alot about polishing different parts, the only thing i can see polishing is the exhaust so the carbon don't build up. Iv been looking at a lot of pics and how_to's and I'm not sure if i can do this. I'm going to out fit my dermal tool with some cool shit and try on this YZ80 and if I fuck it up i don't think Ill do my banshee.

Chevshee

Yes, I run a small performance shop here in UT. Stock stroke aggressive trail port would run $225 plus shipping, add $250 for new pistons and bore/hone if wanted. Portwork is matched to your pipes and rider weight. Jetting recommendations included. I have many other more aggressive porting options and other performance options available as well. If you're ever interested PM me and we can discuss a build that suits your needs. However, I for one wouldn't discourage someone from trying thier hand at it, every builder had a first set.

-Brandon

The main concept on intake design (which oddly enough is the first place 9 of 10 people look on a ported set of cylinders) is to increase flow without slowing velocity. I personally style my intakes very similar to the first set that jbooker posted.

:thumbsup:

That pic is exactly how they come from Dan at Patriot Racing. He sandblasted them not me.

josh

Go for it!

Just be prepared to have to buy new cylinders if you fuck up.

So far i have been lucky, 9 sets and all run better than when i started on them

My 370 long rod drag port made 74hp on gas.

Too much for just duning.. those cylinders are going on my 98 when it is done

Call and talk to eric gorr. He can hook you up with some good book recommendations. He has been doing it a lot longer than the banshee has even been around and knows his shit. He did the cylinders that are on my black bike. I did the cylinders that are on my white bike and love them. I've surprised a lot of folks with professional port jobs on my little white bike. ...and no, I don't have any pics of the porting. Pics are useless unless you know the port timings and measurements.

Exhaust and transfer heights and widths are going to be the biggest factor on how a port job performs. The main concept on intake design (which oddly enough is the first place 9 of 10 people look on a ported set of cylinders) is to increase flow without slowing velocity.

exactly ..a giant hogged out smooth intake doesnt really make any more power ,actually theres about 10% of the total power i n the intake area .the best and most power will be made by using the velocity over volume concept ...get it in quick and get it out even quciker thats where years of testing and trial and error will come into play .