Port pics and sizes.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like to do the same thing as you. but good luck on anyone giving you specs on a particular port job. it seems to be top secret info to many.

YA i was afraid it wood be like that :sad:

there is plenty of info around on this topic.

buy this book: 2 stroke performance tuning by graham bell

I have heard of this book I guess I'm going to have to do that.

Chevshee

It's probably going to be hard to get the info you want. There are many different type of port jobs out there, so it will probably be a pain to get dimensions for a certain type of port. However, if you're looking at just cleaning up your cylinders, which basically consists of cleaning the casting flaws, smoothing out the intake bridge, transfers and exhaust port then that itself isn't too hard. However I think once you start getting into the actual dimensions of the intake ports, transfer ports, transfer angles, and the exhaust ports it might be difficult to do yourself. Unless you have the proper tools, especially to reach into the transfer ports just be careful you don't mess up the cylinders and make them run worse!

This is a picture of the cleanup port I did myself with hand files (just smoothed out the transfers and exhaust basically, as well as the intake)

Ported6.jpg

Ported3.jpg

And this is a picture of my Aggressive Dune/Play Porting, sorry don't have any measurements though

100_0206.jpg

100_0215.jpg

100_0204.jpg

You cant tell anything about a port job from pictures. You need to know port area dimensions, durations, heights, and widths to do a port job. I read that book, and it was awesome. I would consider reading it entirely a must before even cutting a mark in your cylinders. Alot of the information will not apply to this motor, but you will get an idea of how doing things in a two stroke effects the power it makes.

how's the book called "the high performance two-stroke engine"? i just ordered one and don't want to be dissapointed :biggrin:

I am sure it is a general book. I doubt it is going to tell you to make the transfers 2mm wider and 3 mm taller. It will probably also be a more focused on Single Cylinder Motor Cycle engines.

What works for a Big 500 and what works for a 125 are going to be two totaly different things. Then you have to figure in what pipe your going to run.

I would leave real porting to some one that knows what they are doing if your looking for real power. If your just cleaning things up then go for it. When you start opeaning ports up, you change the timing and durations. It is like dropping in a cam in a 4 stroke. If you had your own welder and bench grinder would you make your own "Performance Cam"?

josh

If you had your own welder and bench grinder would you make your own "Performance Cam"?

josh

lol

macdizzy.com is another good source for this sort of info.

there are a couple of banshee specific threads on there which actually have specific port dimensions/durations etc and a description of what they will do to your powerband.

there is also a very good article on there on which are the best tools to use for the job and the best places to get them.

you have to pay to be a member and see all this info but its only like $10/15 a year and its well worth it!

sounds like my buddy

he doesnt even know how to adjust his needle clip setting

but hes talking about porting his cylinders while they are off

"yea lots of people have told me its easy, just take a dremel and make all the openings a little bigger"

i was cracking up, even funnier was his ignorant friend telling me i was wrong when i said "its 100 times easier to ruin it and make less power than it is to gain power" (a thing ive heard many people say time and time again on these forums)

Edited by Michael Jackson

Yeah its not easy. You got to start somewhere though, and that book has a wealth of knowledge. It doesn't tell you what to do on a banshee engine. It will tell you what effects what, and how to calculate what to do though. It will also give duration tables and explain how a 2 stroke pipe works.

I am sure it is a general book. I doubt it is going to tell you to make the transfers 2mm wider and 3 mm taller. It will probably also be a more focused on Single Cylinder Motor Cycle engines.

What works for a Big 500 and what works for a 125 are going to be two totaly different things. Then you have to figure in what pipe your going to run.

I would leave real porting to some one that knows what they are doing if your looking for real power. If your just cleaning things up then go for it. When you start opeaning ports up, you change the timing and durations. It is like dropping in a cam in a 4 stroke. If you had your own welder and bench grinder would you make your own "Performance Cam"?

josh

sounds like my buddy

he doesnt even know how to adjust his needle clip setting

but hes talking about porting his cylinders while they are off

"yea lots of people have told me its easy, just take a dremel and make all the openings a little bigger"

i was cracking up, even funnier was his ignorant friend telling me i was wrong when i said "its 100 times easier to ruin it and make less power than it is to gain power" (a thing ive heard many people say time and time again on these forums)

Ok maybe it is ezer to fuck it up, but my plans wear to get a idea of what thay should look like and try to reproduce what i saw. I under stand that it might not work, But if it dose then ill be up one on all you people that say it wont work.

If it don't work then owell.

Yeah its not easy. You got to start somewhere though, and that book has a wealth of knowledge. It doesn't tell you what to do on a banshee engine. It will tell you what effects what, and how to calculate what to do though. It will also give duration tables and explain how a 2 stroke pipe works.

I do plan on buying this book and like you said "You got to start somewhere though"

So thanks for the pics dinner, Now i need some more pleas.

Chevshee

I under stand that it might not work, But if it dose then ill be up one on all you people that say it wont work.

Chevshee

Here is 2 pics of 2 different cylinders that I have ran. You cant tell wich one is more agressively ported by the pictures.

PatriotRacingIntakePorts.jpg

BansheePorting2.jpg