Smoked by a ltr450

Yeah on a good note, its paid off and I can just keep adding shit on till I get it done. Plus the banshee is just way more fun to ride. I prefer it over the raptor 700 I rented. There will be a time when my 350 is knocking off 450s, just got to give it time. I see what you guys where talking about now, in regaurds to making it faster. It starts with pipes, then this and then that and some more of that.....it will never end. I will enjoy the ride, pun intended.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock Cylinders Drag Ported 4 mill with stock swinger.

I am sure I look like a goofy guy running stock cylinders with cpi's. That is part of the fun. I just drag for fun and dont have a huge swinger so all the 450's come to me to want to race. :biggrin:

We didn't know the guy so I will have to wait for another race. Im going to get some hole shots on the back and then just put some hours under my belt. It will be a few months till I put the t-5s on.

Thats going to make a big difference going from stock tires to holeshots, it'll almost feel like you piped it, once they grab. Those stock tires was not fit for a wagon, let a lone a banshee!

Let's see, with my combo I have yet to lose to any 450 or 700. I have also knocked off a big bore (480 or 490 it think he said) YZF, a 700r Raptor with a pipe, K&N with no lid, and FMU, a piped CRF450 dirt bike, and a KTM sponsored pro rider on his KTM450 dirtbike.

I don't just race them once. I'll beat them twice and then ask if they want any more.

Take it from me, tires and your launch do make the biggest influence to winning the race. Launch in second gear and don't change your gearing untill you have some decent bolt ons and second gear becomes useless as well. Then you'll have to go 1 bigger on the crank to balance it out.

Don't get carbs untill you either port or increace displacement. Bigger carbs actually slow down the velocity the air rushes into your cylinders resulting in loss of power.

Pipes make the best improvement. Reeds give you more torque and a more powerful top end. Raise the compression with a head and 4th gear on just pulls all the way to the top.

Bolt ons will get you there. I still have stock carbs and cylinders. Good luck.

Oh yeah and practice, practice, practice. You're not gonna win if you don't know what you're doing.

So I was out on my 2nd trip with the new banshee Saturday and these two guys pulled up my friend points out that one of them has a ltr450. So I get this bright idea to see if he wants to drag. After the proposal he tells me its got a pipe, cherry bomb, and one other thing. I figured since Im not that great of a ridder, and my bike is bone stock that he would win, I just wanted to see how my shee would compare. It was no contest, he walked all over me! Both times I just gave up in third gear. He would be at least 6 bike links in front. So my question to bansheehq was whats it going to take to keep up. My plan was to get the t-5 package, K and N pods and bigger carbs. Will these adds get me close? Thanks for your imput.

The rider does make a BIG difference... I have beaten several times my neigbor and his Craptor 700... His is pretty much stock, and he did drop to a 13 tooth sprocket for "low end"??? But you just have to be comfortable riding the Shee with it sounding like its going to twist apart, you need to practice your holeshots taking off in 2nd gear if you have the power to do so, and you have to stop giving up until the race is over... Pipe it and get some good filters, regardless this is a must. Drop the stocker tires and just ride it. If you still think its to slow for you look into porting or other $$ mods... My bike is realtively stock and on the trails anyway I can keep up with any of the 4-pokers I ride with, and they are all jealous of how the Shee sounds and smells.... I am always getting, "Man that fucking thing screams, or that fuckin thing is awesome... can I ride it?"or that old school 2-stroke shit is pretty cool....

Have fun....

Edited by mdhc500

Let's see, with my combo I have yet to lose to any 450 or 700. I have also knocked off a big bore (480 or 490 it think he said) YZF, a 700r Raptor with a pipe, K&N with no lid, and FMU, a piped CRF450 dirt bike, and a KTM sponsored pro rider on his KTM450 dirtbike.

I don't just race them once. I'll beat them twice and then ask if they want any more.

Take it from me, tires and your launch do make the biggest influence to winning the race. Launch in second gear and don't change your gearing untill you have some decent bolt ons and second gear becomes useless as well. Then you'll have to go 1 bigger on the crank to balance it out.

Don't get carbs untill you either port or increace displacement. Bigger carbs actually slow down the velocity the air rushes into your cylinders resulting in loss of power.

Pipes make the best improvement. Reeds give you more torque and a more powerful top end. Raise the compression with a head and 4th gear on just pulls all the way to the top.

Oh yeah and practice, practice, practice. You're not gonna win if you don't know what you're doing.

Do you find you need to run 100LL AvGas with the 20cc domes, or do you prefer it? I was curious how it runs on 93oct?

Do you find you need to run 100LL AvGas with the 20cc domes, or do you prefer it? I was curious how it runs on 93oct?

With the 20cc domes and the timing advance i'm right on the border. With the avgas, the bike doesn't have the low end lag, throttle response is better, and it likes to rev faster. Avgas has little odor to it compared to pump gas. It's also windshield washer fluid blue. When it burns, it smells like a capgun. The only downfall is it has less additives then pump gas so it evaporates fast so keep it in a sealed container and as little as you can in your bike when not in use. And when you're bike is sitting in your garage, make sure your fuel is off so you don't gunk up the carb bowls due to evaporation and mix oil buildup.

I think right now the price ia about $5.60 a gal. which is way cheaper then VP at the stealership and the airport I go to is 10 mins. away and is open 7 days.

I didn't have to rejet but i'd double check just to be sure.

Good luck.

Edited by 4strokessuck

i know 450s are fast but you said you quit at 3rd gear. all four strokes are going to pull ahead of you untill 3rd because of the hook up there weight gives them. do a full drag through all gears then see how far he has you. and he will still have you but maybe not as bad?

Thats what i was thinking except for the 450`s are fast and he still may have you part. you need 5th and 6th gear. for most, them shit bikes will hang until you get in the higher gears but without good tires the best of mods wont do shit.

I wouldnt get to cocky with those mods.... there are a lot of 4 strokes that will hand a bike like yours its ass in a hurry.

My friend has a ltr 07 with a cherry bomb, white brothers exhaust, air lid removed, When i had my gearing of 13-42 he could hang with me till 5th then i'd get about 3 bikes on him,, now that i switched to 15-38 gearing he stays with me till 3rd then i just blow him away his 5th is like my 3rd gear.. I did all my own work to mine and learned alot from this site! DG pipes, shaved head, home clean-up ported cylinders, pro-series reeds, stock carbs jetted, 20-11-9 razr 6 ply

The only machine that i've lost to was a not stock at all 700 Raptor, b4 i switched my gearing i was with him till i had to leave off the throttle, Those rappy's will go forever! but with the new gearing i think i can take him ,, i'll keep you guys filled in tho