FAST Clutch

dajogejr

Finally...after over three seasons of abuse, time to retire my FAST clutch.

I bought it in 05 when I had a stock cylinder, stock port bike with all the bolts ons. Abused it.

When I bought my 4 mil cub for 06 I got a new inner, outer and basket...reused the clutch....abused it more.

Ran it all last year in my 10 mil cub on alky at the strip, a few times at the dunes....on the ice and recently at Gilbert at the Planet Sand Drags.

The basket has a little discoloration on the fingers, grooves were SO Slight, it wasn't even worth filing them. The color is just barely worn. The fibers still look great, the steels are finally starting to blue.

It's earned the right to retire...here's some pics as proof.

And...of course, I put it all back together and forgot that washer on the back side of the inner hub. That baby LOVES to stick on the back. Did the same thing back in 06 when I replaced it all...

pict0001di0.jpg

pict0002pr6.jpg

pict0003qc3.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Dave yeah i think it's about time. You sure know how to get your moneys worth out of something...lol Kinda dissapointed that you drink Bud Light but maybe when we hang out one day i'll switch ya to the good beer...lol

Yeah for those who are changing out baskets and clutches be careful with that washer he's talking about. It's a sneaky bitch it always falls down and then you can't see it(which is No Bueno). Just make sure you get it back in place! If it's your first time get a manuel and go over the steps. It's just one of those things you don't think about cause you don't see it.

Dave you going back with another F.A.S.T. Clutch settup?

No...

I'm always up for trying something new. I'm using a stock Raptor 660 clutch with 6 different kinds of springs and a slingshot lockup.

I have 3 Barnett HD, and 3 HD springs I'm not sure who makes them.

Old clutch:

Fibers: .118

Steels: .460

New Clutch:

Fibers: .113

Steels: .460

I'm gonna hold onto the old fibers "just in case."..:)

Rolling out with new clutch, new cable (what a difference...) and a new rear sprocket..and I'll have a little better adjustment for my wheelie bar as well...

Should be fun!!

i have to agree that jeff puts together a nice clutch kit.

i had a pretty good season on mine and no bluing yet

in the steels and the fibers still look pretty good.

as the the raptor clutch, isnt everyone using the raptor steels

do to the price or something? I thought i read a pretty good

thread on ps about that.

Definetly hang on to your old fibers Dave as .005 difference is alot thinner....Hope it works for you. Great testimonial for the ol F.A.S.T. clutch as it definetly got some abuse from FBT Racing. You forgot that washer cuase you had good ol Kansas Kettle corn on the mind. lol

Yes sir...you are correct.

However...it actually put me closer to Kevin's spec for the slingshot.

With the old clutch setup, it was about .040 to .045 clearance for the slingshot.

His spec is .070. I'm at .082 right now, which he said is fine.

I can't say for sure, but the steels could've blued from tight clearance, they could've blued from being 3 years old and abused...:)

I took my shit apart thinking i was getting a complete motor and didnt pay attention to much. Now i know there's a big washer that goes behind the basket, but isn't there also one that goes behind the inner hub? And I"m willing to bet 75% of people that have clutches burn up is not b/c of the clutch, but from worn parts, poor installment IMO

Today I just got done with the first ride of the season and earlier I happen to be thinking about my clutch and how well its done for me.. I had a REALLY heavy season on it with a FAST agressive duneport stock stroke setup.. Then last year a medium season with a 4mill agressive dune port setup and I was really rough on it this trip.. No lockup on any of the setups.. It has performed perfectly despite dragging the shit out of it on some of the tighter technical climbs.. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts as I havn't had a problem one with it yet.. Damn good clutch..

RIPPEN