First run!

Well I took my new banshee on it's first run last weekend at Winchester Bay, OR.

The first day was great. No probs but some jetting issues. Still working on those.

The second day, I was riding along and my quad bogged down and died. I switched it to reserve cuz I thought I was out of gas. It barely ran. I killed it (by letting off the throttle LOL) and saw my plug dangling on the plug wire. I put her back in and was fine. There were no damaged threads at all, not even a little bit. Does this mean anything besides a plug that wasn't in tight enough???

The third day, I let my buddy ride it. He made it about 300 feet before it died. Long story short, we towed it back to camp, and started going through the steps. Had gas, new plugs, no spark. No pinched wires, so pulled off the flywheel cover, and the nut almost fell off the shaft, while the flywheel freely pulled off. Cleaned it up, put it all back together. Kicked over on the first kick. Should I use locktite or never-seize on the flywheel nut???

Also, I mixed 32:1. It seemed to make a mess all over. It was dripping out of the exhaust, and spraying a little bit where the CPIs mount to the stingers. Should I be mixing it that rich, or go to something else???

Well I took my new banshee on it's first run last weekend at Winchester Bay, OR.

The first day was great. No probs but some jetting issues. Still working on those.

The second day, I was riding along and my quad bogged down and died. I switched it to reserve cuz I thought I was out of gas. It barely ran. I killed it (by letting off the throttle LOL) and saw my plug dangling on the plug wire. I put her back in and was fine. There were no damaged threads at all, not even a little bit. Does this mean anything besides a plug that wasn't in tight enough???

The third day, I let my buddy ride it. He made it about 300 feet before it died. Long story short, we towed it back to camp, and started going through the steps. Had gas, new plugs, no spark. No pinched wires, so pulled off the flywheel cover, and the nut almost fell off the shaft, while the flywheel freely pulled off. Cleaned it up, put it all back together. Kicked over on the first kick. Should I use locktite or never-seize on the flywheel nut???

Also, I mixed 32:1. It seemed to make a mess all over. It was dripping out of the exhaust, and spraying a little bit where the CPIs mount to the stingers. Should I be mixing it that rich, or go to something else???

1. loose plugs is all i can think of

2. 32:1 and messing, gt a better oil!

3. welcome to the hq and the adreline of 'shees

generally a plug backing out and falling out is caused by detonation from too much compression/timing advance and not enough fuel octane.

Possibly, however I'm running about 165 psi in the cylinders, +4 timing, and 1/2 92, 1/2 112 octane. It didn't pop out once I tightened it again, however, I tightened it more than I would like to. I think I'll put some never-sieze on them to help deal with the vibrations.

I think that problem is "fixed", but I'm wondering if I should go to 40:1 mixture on my gas/oil ratio. I used Techron oil. Is that not good enough?

PLug coming out was probably detonation.

I mix at 16 oz to a 5gal can. I just dump a whole 16oz bottle of 927 in my can. I thinks its around 44:1 or so.

The flywheel now has to be lapped to the crank, Then when you go to put it on you heat it up briefly with a torch on the center hub and slide it on the crank. I zip the nut on with a 1/2" impact and loctite blue the nut on.

dont usually dont need to do anything to it if you are running coolhead u usually need to tighten it pretty becuase cool heads usually do that. if ur are running stock head just tighten more next time. flywheel well ive had my motor running for two years already and all i do is drag it and nothing has ever came loose on the flywheel just use an impact and give a few u know tight down just quick burst after u get it tight

Your borderline needing 50/50 racew gas, I would check the squish and make sure the gauge is working ok.

Thanks for all the tips. After reading, I think it was detonating.

The reason: I went to the coast with a full tank of gas. It was not mixed with race gas. That is when the plug popped out. I filled it up with my race gas mix, and then the plug stopped popping out. Either that, or it was loose.

With that said, do you guys think I did any damage?

Also, running 40:1 or 44:1 will not hurt my machine?

And, what is squish?

Thanks for all the tips. After reading, I think it was detonating.

The reason: I went to the coast with a full tank of gas. It was not mixed with race gas. That is when the plug popped out. I filled it up with my race gas mix, and then the plug stopped popping out. Either that, or it was loose.

With that said, do you guys think I did any damage?

Also, running 40:1 or 44:1 will not hurt my machine?

And, what is squish?

Picture is worth a thousand words.

Fig_02.jpg

Do not buy a spark plug lock... :ermm: