Low compression

ridin420

I would add a compression AND leak down tester are some of the best tools you can buy...they take a lot of guess work out....

Yea, tools are always extremely nice to have, whether you use it once in a year or 24/7..

I use tools every day, that's my job. Some weeks I will go without using "that" certain tool all week, next day you could use it a few times. So having a compression tester sitting around and even a leak down tester are always good. You'll probably use them more than you think once you have them :thumbsup:

A decent torque wrench is also a necessity (unless you have a calibrated elbow :wink: ).

Yea torque wrenches sure are nice. Could easily get away with a little like 5-100ftlbs torque wrench.

lol yea I'm starting to get my calibrated elbow. When you torque the nut(s) on heavy trucks that hold the hub bearings into place, you torque it to 200ftlbs to set the seal. So on a 24" johnson bar, I can regulate how much that is :laugh: Was torquing some Ubolts last night to 600ft lbs :ermm:

Here's a good example.

I bought a digital mic to measure main jets and drill bits for my old alky carbs, Keihins.

I sold those carbs and picked up some Lectrons, which...don't require jets.

However, I use the shit out of that digital mic. I didn't get a machinist quality, mega expensive one, just a harbor freight 30 dollar mic. It works for what I need it for.

Well my point was that a pressure tester is not as important as a good set of wrenches and screwdrivers.

Of course is very nice to have all the tools we ever dreamed of on a shiny drawer rack; but, do you really need it? for my self, i don't

So, are you going to use a pressure tester as much as you would use a good set of wrenches and screwdrivers? That's what I ask my self every time I want to buy a new tool. Last november I bought a craftsman torque wrench for $40 and I have never used it, I would have rather bought 5 gal of race gas hehehe

yeah i have a huge addiction to tool has anyone went and got the wrenches form craftsman yet they are wonderful they twist to the side for easier pulling and tightening i went out and got the standard and metric set already you will love em.

U guys who are machinst my step dad is one and he has the wood tool boxes filled with some reallykewl things but dam expensive things to like the mics and stuff Wow i want his box

Well my point was that a pressure tester is not as important as a good set of wrenches and screwdrivers.

Of course is very nice to have all the tools we ever dreamed of on a shiny drawer rack; but, do you really need it? for my self, i don't

So, are you going to use a pressure tester as much as you would use a good set of wrenches and screwdrivers? That's what I ask my self every time I want to buy a new tool. Last november I bought a craftsman torque wrench for $40 and I have never used it, I would have rather bought 5 gal of race gas hehehe

Still man, your theory is flawed.. I much rather have a good compression tester that I use once a year rather than a "good" set of wrenches I use a dozen times a year.. Wanna know why? I bend a shitty wrench by putting to much torque on it, I spend a few bucks and buy another shitty wrench(which even with some of my habor fright, its never happened).. I buy a shitty compression tester that gives me flawed readings and I end up thinking my motor is good to go with X octane and come to find out it wasn't. Then Iam out a top end.. Out of ANY of the tools when dealing with a banshee I believe the compression tester is the most important one to spend the bigger bucks on. A close second is a good torque wrench, then leak down.. You all can skimp on this shit and buy fancy wrenches if you want.. But a wrench isn't gonna accurately tell you weather your due for a new top end or the octane your running for your setup is sufficiant..

RIPPEN

Still man, your theory is flawed.. I much rather have a good compression tester that I use once a year rather than a "good" set of wrenches I use a dozen times a year.. Wanna know why? I bend a shitty wrench by putting to much torque on it, I spend a few bucks and buy another shitty wrench(which even with some of my habor fright, its never happened).. I buy a shitty compression tester that gives me flawed readings and I end up thinking my motor is good to go with X octane and come to find out it wasn't. Then Iam out a top end.. Out of ANY of the tools when dealing with a banshee I believe the compression tester is the most important one to spend the bigger bucks on. A close second is a good torque wrench, then leak down.. You all can skimp on this shit and buy fancy wrenches if you want.. But a wrench isn't gonna accurately tell you weather your due for a new top end or the octane your running for your setup is sufficiant..

RIPPEN

Pessure tester and torque wrench are very useful tools, I did't have any of those tools when bulding my own engine, I used my friend's, and I have not needed them in two years.

The guy who started the topic is not building a monster bahsee or running a dragster or a cuby. I'm trying to save te guy some bucks that he may need for latter mods.

By looking at the pic in your sig I can tell you have spent a lot of time and effort into your shee, and looks like you have been on this bussines for a long time. And I have a looooot of respect for you guys how have a lot of experience cause you help us save money and have fun with our toys not only when riding but when fixing. All I want to do is follow that trend and save our friend some money.

Pessure tester and torque wrench are very useful tools, I did't have any of those tools when bulding my own engine, I used my friend's, and I have not needed them in two years.

The guy who started the topic is not building a monster bahsee or running a dragster or a cuby. I'm trying to save te guy some bucks that he may need for latter mods.

By looking at the pic in your sig I can tell you have spent a lot of time and effort into your shee, and looks like you have been on this bussines for a long time. And I have a looooot of respect for you guys how have a lot of experience cause you help us save money and have fun with our toys not only when riding but when fixing. All I want to do is follow that trend and save our friend some money.

well you kind of contradicted yor self by saying you didnt need them you just used a friends. so you did need them actually you just happened to have a friend that alrady had them. It doesnt matter how big of a motor or how often your building there are certain tools every shadetree mechanic should have.