thermostat in shee...

streetshee

if you mean thermometer yes... a thermostat would imply that you want to use it to control the temp....

there is a really ghetto temp gauge install on dunereview.com using a meat thermometer or you can go with something a little more high tech like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GAUGE-YFZ-T...sspagenameZWDVW which is what i had on mine. it worked good and looked good. it just wasn't real convenient trying to check temp while riding....

I bought this one on ebay. I checked ebay and there are none on there but you can buy direct from CRJ. Works like the one above but has a digital readout clamped to handle bar. Checked accuracy and it was off about 3 degrees buy my calibrated Fluke Temp Monitor. Works very well!

http://www.crjperformance.com/tega.html

Shannon

Edited by spurdy

no i mean a thermostat,it goes on the head and retains hot water in the head until it reaches the desired temp then opens and lets the pump exchange the water from the radiator,and so on....

sorry man, my bad, i assumed you meant a temp gauge, my bad.

I don't know how well a thermostat would work though it is an interesting thought, but the only reason you would really need to restrict flow would be to warm it up, and honestly it only really takes a couple minutes to do that, so i don't know if it would really benefit you much more than warming it up quicker.

has anybody installed a thermostat to there shee? im thinking about modding my head with a nice small scooter thermo and house.any ideas plz? good or bad idea?

I'm trying to figure out why you would do this, it doesn't seem necessary.

• 1 year later...

OK so this is an old thread, but I thought it was ineresting and so I thought I'd bump it.

true the banshee can stay cool........till it's hopped up and then you have to shell out bucks for a good radiator. However, a shee could benefit from a thermostat by keeping water in the radiator for a longer period of time for more air to pass through it, thus cooling the coolant inside the radiator more thuroughly before it passes through the motor once again. Similar to how individuals with water to air intercoolers on their factory supercharged svt lightnings and cobras use voltage reducers to slow the factory pumps just a little bit to give the liquid heat exchanger more time to cool the fluid.

I think that a thermostat would only help if you had a radiator with a duty high enough that it could expel TOO MUCH heat. For instance, if your banshee had an aftermarket radiator that was bigger and/or more efficient, than it would benefit from a thermostat to keep it from running too cool by only circulating coolant when needed rather than at all times.

I mean, it is obviously true that if you have a larger temperature difference between the coolant and the engine you can remove more heat per volume of coolant. It's also true that the radiator will relieve more heat if the coolant is hotter because it will have a larger temperature difference between the coolant and the air.

Basic heat transfer equation: Q = h * A * (T_hot - T_cold) (steady-state), where h is a lumped heat transfer coefficient accounting for convective and conductive heat transfer, A is the heat transfer area, and Q is the heat transfer.

So, if the coolant moved more slowly, you would have a more efficient heat transfer mechanism due to a larger temp difference. But, it is only more effective on the basis of the amount of heat removed per volume of coolant. When you approach the limitations of the radiator, the coolant must circulate as fast as possible to adequately remove heat. When you're bike is in an overheat condition, the coolant is entering the radiator at its hottest temperature, giving you the most effective heat transfer you can get from the radiator you have. In the case of a banshee at consistant high load conditions, the radiator still cannot evolve enough heat to cool the engine. It might help during some cases, but not if you're running the bike at high load for an extended period of time.

Think of an R1... If the coolant system continually circulated than you would never be able to get the bike up to design operating temperature unless ambient temperatures were really high or the motor was operating under continual high load conditions. However, if you slap a YZ85 radiator on an R1... well, you get where I'm going.

It would be nice to have some heat transfer calculations to back all of this up, but considering that I don't have dynamic simulator software (or time to do the calcs by hand or the specs needed for the study to be completed), I think that we should just assume a thermostat wouldn't resolve your cooling problems with a stock radiator. I'm a chemical engineer (not a mechanical engineer), so this type of problem doesn't fit into any software tools I have on hand at work. It would be interesting to see this if someone works at a place that would have such computing tools as to allow them to run the numbers.... Otherwise, I could do some psuedo-dynamic calculations in Excel if someone would give me the exchanger area of the radiator and the area of the engine cooling loop (approximations will work).

As for the SVT lightning reference... The lightning doesn't operate at propetual high load, so it makes more sense to have a setup with a thermostat to promote more effective heat transfer during brief conditions of high load.

I'm not an expert on radiator design, but thats my input. Just my $.02...

Edited by Mast372MIND

I think a thermostat would make the banshee less sensitive to temp changes. Yea you would have to change jets going from 90deg f to 32deg f. But it might make for a wider temperature range for a given main jet size.

The temp at wich the engine is running effects jetting. So if you can make that a constant 180 deg then that should help decrease the sensitivity to temp changes.