what to use for head gasket

so i got my head off and theres some seal that i need to clean of right and i used a q-tip (sp) and when i was done i ended up with a small buff on one cylinder. being careful not to scratch it. you can nt feel the little buff but you can see it

will this affect anything

haha sorry guys it was late

okay so i pulled the head off and pulled the gasket off and it left soe weird rubber stuff on top of the jugs wear it was placed

i use a q-tip and my fingerust have scrubbed to hard and it left a mark that looked like i scratch i was like crap but i cant feel it. so in other words its like a buff mark or scuff probably would have been better word choice

so will my head gasket still seal properly?

oh and the cometic gasket isnt flat it has pressed shapes in it, you get it if you see them new, but anyways des it matter which way i put the gasket on as far as upside down ?

Ok boyz I'll take a crack at this one....

That stuff that was on your head/ cylinder was probably RTV of some sort. It should never be used as a head gasket sealer.

It's ok if you had to get that shit off. It's also ok that you make a polish mark on the head surface. This is why your new head gasket has those "shaped patterns" on it..... too fill those small dips and gallies on the mating surface.

Just make sure when you install the new gasket (you are going to use a new one right?) the word "UP" actually says UP the right way not backwards.

In other words..... YES..... it does matter if it's upside down or not.

How's my aim?

PS.... next time instead of a Q-tip...(hehe) use something a bit more suitable like a brand new razor blade ( blade only)

Edited by TurboBanshee420

okay yeah i just got in from the garage like 10 seconds ago and was looking on the old stock gasket and found the UP andwas like well theres my answer

there was just a little bit of the stuff so Q-tip work fine

thanks turbo i was a little worried that i screwed up my jugs

it doesnt have UP on the cometic gasket!

so would the raised parts of the gasket down?

please help hoping to have this in by tonight

Get a 400 grit wet/dry sand paper and a FLAT block, piece of steel, etc.

Remove the studs from the cylinders....add water, and make a gentle figure 8 on the surfaces against the sand paper for a 5 to 10 seconds at a time. When you can clearly see scratches across the gasket surfaces, you're set.

Lapping involves using an abrasive compound, which....is similar to using the wet/dry sand paper...

After having problems with a brand new cub cylinders in 06, I do this every time I put a motor together, new or old...

Takes 5 minutes including setup....just make sure you have a flat piece to put the sand paper on and work with.

Do NOT over do it, aluminum is very soft...and it only takes a few swipes to get a nice clean, flat surface for gasket mating.