installing tie rods

bladesracing

How do you know where you want em for sure? Just eye ball it or?

Stock arms, or +2+1s?

If they are stock length arms, the length the tie rod should be with the ends adjusted out is listed in Clymer. That should get you close, and then you either back them out or set them in one turn, until your toe in/toe out looks good. The Clymer manual explains it very very well, if you dont have one, I'd highly suggest getting one.

If they are +2+1s, the process is the same except, the length is obviously different. I figurd out the geometry once and wrote it down somehwere, I can find it if need be, but I think center BJ to center BJ is something like 16 1/2", but I can check to be sure.

Stock arms, or +2+1s?

If they are stock length arms, the length the tie rod should be with the ends adjusted out is listed in Clymer. That should get you close, and then you either back them out or set them in one turn, until your toe in/toe out looks good. The Clymer manual explains it very very well, if you dont have one, I'd highly suggest getting one.

If they are +2+1s, the process is the same except, the length is obviously different. I figurd out the geometry once and wrote it down somehwere, I can find it if need be, but I think center BJ to center BJ is something like 16 1/2", but I can check to be sure.

They are +2 so if you could find out the info that would br great thanks man

They are +2 so if you could find out the info that would br great thanks man

Wow, I must have missed that in the original post. If you have +2+1 arms your going to be 16 9/16" from center of BJ to center of BJ. Mine actaully came to be a tad longer when I did mine. Otherwise the install is the same steps as in Clymer.

basically, for toe in or toe out (front in or front out) you find a good center point on the tire (middle tread is always good) but you want to be able to measure from the same point in the front of the tire as the back of the tire.

Toe in will give you better turning ability, and toe out will give you better stability at higher speeds. I run mine with a little bit of toe in. An inch or so, but dont hold me to an exact measurement, I'm not sure of that.

basically, for toe in or toe out (front in or front out) you find a good center point on the tire (middle tread is always good) but you want to be able to measure from the same point in the front of the tire as the back of the tire.

Toe in will give you better turning ability, and toe out will give you better stability at higher speeds. I run mine with a little bit of toe in. An inch or so, but dont hold me to an exact measurement, I'm not sure of that.

This sounds backwards to me

• 5 years later...

sorry for digging up a old thread, but I got some new tie rod ball joints.  looking to get these on and adjust the toe in.  Ive read that it is best to adjust the toe in while you are sitting on the quad.  Clymer says to jack it up.  So what one is it?

thanks guys!!!