Name that Sound!

Banshee0028

Ok, I did a complete top and bottom end rebuild and broke-in everything properly. Bike starts right up and runs strong! No obvious running issues at all.

The problem is there is a weird "gear" type sound coming from the clutch side. It happens right from idle, with or without the clutch pulled in, and increases with throttle.

Now I have taken apart the clutch cover 3 times and inspected everything. I have replaced the entire clutch basket with a new aftermarket one including new cushions, I have new springs for the kick starter, new idler gear bushing, everything seems installed correct and tight!

At first I thought it was the cushions but after 2 different baskets, it still does the same thing. Replaced all springs, several misc bushings within the clutch cover area and cant figure out where its coming from. It runs fine, but I would like to find out what it is.

Tranny shifts really smooth, and I don't think its installed wrong or anything?

Any advice?

Here is a clip of it running: http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o215/ba...=MVI_2311-0.flv

Waterpump bearing????? Trans main or aux shaft end bearing?

How is the kick starter Idler gear. Those have a tendency to become loose.

How did the water pump gear and Impeller look?

The water pump bearing seems good. Was replaced along with a new seal new not too long ago. It spins pretty smooth. I think the impeller has been rubbing on the inside of the cover at times, but this new sound seems deeper than what should be if the impeller was rubbing on the inside of the cover ??

Kicker idler gear is GOOD, with a new bushing and spins smooth with almost no extra play!

Snop, can the trans main be installed wrong or have come loose since being put together? What is the aux shaft end bearing? On the tranny, or crank?

your the guy who bought my hinsen clutch basket right ? that motor sounds normal if you put year ear up t o a banshee motor not only do they vibrate but they make all kinds of noises , i didnt hear anything outa the ordinary in that clip. i would ride it on

That would be me :biggrin:

My old basket did the same thing which is why I thought it might have been something in the basket. But I think the basket itself is fine? :confused:

kicker loose? also the hinson plressure plate hits the three nipples on the inside of your clutch cover . you need to get a die grinder and knock the edges off of it. you will see on the pressure plate where it hits because you will have a big ass scrtach

I dont think the kicker is the problem. I can hold it perfectly tight and its still there. Never heard of this issue with the Hinson plate. However I have the stock pressure plate with the Hinson basket...??

kicker loose? also the hinson plressure plate hits the three nipples on the inside of your clutch cover . you need to get a die grinder and knock the edges off of it. you will see on the pressure plate where it hits because you will have a big ass scrtach

happen to me

happen to me

If you are talking about the basket and not the inside pressure plate, I will have to check. My previous after market basket made the same noise, so is this the case for all aftermarket baskets or just Hinson? I will look at my old basket to see if there are any marks on it, but I think it was mint!