Having Problems Starting My Banshee

osoloe1

I have a 2000 Banshee I bought blown up and the only way I can get it to start is to cup my hand over the carbs and kick it about 3 times remove my hand and it will act like it wants to start. I have to do this a couple of times before it will start and once it is running it runs great and it even itals. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

I was in a hurry when I posted my question...sorry. The engine has been rebuilt with fresh bore/hone and .040" over Wiseco pistons. The carbs are stock with TORS caps removed. I'm running a clean/freshly-oiled K&N air filter, BUT in order to get the engine drawing fuel, I have to remove the air filter and cover the carb intakes with my hand. Then, with the carb intakes covered, when I kick it, fuel premix saturates the carb throats and the engine starts. The quad then idles great and runs awesome. If I shut it down and immediately try to restart it, it starts fine. But if I let it cool down and try to start it...nothing. Then I have to remove the air filter and start the whole process over again. The choke doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever. Any advice???

Edited by osoloe1

I have been talking to the guys at my local shop now that they are open and they are saying my reeds are probably bad, and the reason the guy is saying that is because wants it is started it runs great and itals fine. Does this make sense to anyone? I have the floats set stock I will have to check the jet and I am running a full FMF Fatty system.

Thanks for the all the help

Here is what I have Stock Mikuni jets are 025 and 200 floats are set at 55/64. I am running a K&N air fliter with no lid or tube. The pipes are FMF Fatty's and I just put a new set of Super Stock Boysen Reeds. My fuel is mixed 40:1 with Belray. The plugs are NGK. I checked the choke when I had it running and it itals up when you pull the knob out. Like I said before you choke the carbs or put fuel straight into the carbs so they get a ton of fuel and do it about 3 times and it will start running and it will ital and run great. I am at a loss with this one can anyone help Please.

Thanks

dude theres no way its the reeds, if it were the reeds you would have more problems than just starting.. have u cleaned the carbs yet?? that pilot jet is prone to getting clogged,, also is the choke tube hooked up(between the carbs, its a short tube), also turn your idle air screw all the way in(don't crank down on it, just turn it in until it stops) and back it out 2 complete turns( on each carb) the smallest thing with a carb can make these things run like shit.

Edited by sheerider1026

dude theres no way its the reeds, if it were the reeds you would have more problems than just starting.. have u cleaned the carbs yet?? that pilot jet is prone to getting clogged,, also is the choke tube hooked up(between the carbs, its a short tube), also turn your idle air screw all the way in(don't crank down on it, just turn it in until it stops) and back it out 2 complete turns( on each carb) the smallest thing with a carb can make these things run like shit.

I have the choke tube hooked up and I have been threw the carbs a couple of times and the idle air srcews are 2 turns out. I will check it again but I am almost positive.

Thanks

Here is what I have Stock Mikuni jets are 025 and 200 floats are set at 55/64. I am running a K&N air fliter with no lid or tube. The pipes are FMF Fatty's and I just put a new set of Super Stock Boysen Reeds. My fuel is mixed 40:1 with Belray. The plugs are NGK. I checked the choke when I had it running and it itals up when you pull the knob out. Like I said before you choke the carbs or put fuel straight into the carbs so they get a ton of fuel and do it about 3 times and it will start running and it will ital and run great. I am at a loss with this one can anyone help Please.

Thanks

I would bump up the mains to at least a 260 and pilots to 27.5 or 30. Running a stock main jet with aftermarket pipes is asking for a lean burn down. It idleing up when the choke is pulled is a clear sign it's lean.