I am interested in asphalt drags. 1/4 mile.

bbruischart

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess, from what I'm told, my current bike turned 13.70s at 91 or so(who knows if the MPH was right). Thats with some decent port work, decked cylinders and stock domes, stock carbs, and LRD pipes. Ofcourse the bore is close to stock.

Plans are to add bigger flatslides and put a coolhead with 18s on it, make 60-70 to the rears on race gas and hopefully turn a 12 sec pass.

Sub 11s on a Banshee is damn respectable to me.

Travis have you done the weight loss research ? ...thats where i'm at & didn't know if it's worth it ...plus thats where my ass will be planted, don't know if i like that, though a lot have done it.

wow just noticed you removed the other 2 bars up front & rear sub. gusset too :shrug:

bikepics-925663-800.jpg

Shoot yeah its worth it, I'm a heavy guy and have had good luck with mine. I still have more I "could" take out but I leave it in there just because of my weight. There is a lot more you can remove, I just counted 7 braces/gussets/bars you could cut, and there's probably more, depending on how light you want to be :biggrin:

You'd really be amazed at what some people do to shave weight, some of it is crazy but worth it when trying to run the fastest you can...those stock frames are heavy!

Can I run at either an NHRA or IHRA track. i dont care if there is a class just for quads. I want to race with bikes, sleds, and so on. i really appreciate the help. Did anyone have any input on the use of an airshifter? I cant wait for the first holeshot. My neighbors hate me already. I have got till spring to finish. You answered my main question with can you do it with a shee motor and frame. Now I am wondering if I can run at any track If I pass tech. Can someone show me what all I can chop off the frame. Maybe a pic with some drawings on it. I have somone already to make me an aluminum swingarm. Not sure if there is a length or width rule though. These are my main ques. now. Thanks .

Well, I think the rules vary from track to track, but most IHRA (1/8 mile) tracks don't have a tech inspection and if they do, they aren't strict at all on rules like the NHRA tracks are...even still most NHRA tracks just require the basics (kill switch/helmet/boots/long pants/gloves) plus leather jacket and chain guard. As long as you don't roll up with a hoopty you should be fine, lol.

I'll try and see if I can make some marks on the pics I already posted, but you can get a pretty good idea of what's missing if you look at a stock frame pic, then look at mine. There is a lot gone :biggrin:

Well, I think the rules vary from track to track, but most IHRA (1/8 mile) tracks don't have a tech inspection and if they do, they aren't strict at all on rules like the NHRA tracks are...even still most NHRA tracks just require the basics (kill switch/helmet/boots/long pants/gloves) plus leather jacket and chain guard. As long as you don't roll up with a hoopty you should be fine, lol.

I'll try and see if I can make some marks on the pics I already posted, but you can t a pretty good idea of what's missing if you look at a stock frame pic, then look at mine. There is a lot gone :biggrin:

wit

Yeah Dont worry about the frame pics. I took a good look at the frame pics. That is alot to cut out. Not a problem though. here goes the hacksaw. My local Ihra track is a 1/4 mile. I think they are IHRA. I will look again but i am pretty sure its ihra and i know its 1/4 mile. Maybe they offer the 1/8. I wouldnt want to do that though because who would I race. myself. I need to go the 1/4 with the bikes and sleds. I have obtained alot of info about this stuff and I am going to race for sure. I am just worried the track will roll there eyes and tell me to get out with my wheeler. I hope this dont happen. I have alot of light parts picked out and all sorts of stuff I printed off from previous post and other pages. I will begin tomorrow. What rules do they have at the nhra tracks. just for knowledge. Maybe I should follow them just to stay ahead of the tech guys later on down the road.

I'll try and see if I can make some marks on the pics I already posted, but you can get a pretty good idea of what's missing if you look at a stock frame pic, then look at mine. There is a lot gone :biggrin:

yeah thats why i posted my yellow, thought it might be easier to see

i count 5 travis 2 by the bottom steering hole, the front gusset & the 2 rear gussets where are the other two

any ideas of the stock sub frame weight to chromoly one... anybody got a pic, is it made basicaly the same just lighter?

yeah thats why i posted my yellow, thought it might be easier to see

i count 5 travis 2 by the bottom steering hole, the front gusset & the 2 rear gussets where are the other two

any ideas of the stock sub frame weight to chromoly one... anybody got a pic, is it made basicaly the same just lighter?

Brace between the two bottom rails, gussets on the very back of the subframe where they meet the top of the subframe, and you could cut the little bracket for the chain roller...also can't tell from the pic, but if you run a no link, you can also cut the mount off that goes to the dogbone.

bbruischart, the rules vary so much its really hard to say what the track is going to require...the things I listed are just the "common" items that most tracks want you to have. I highly recommend going to the track you want to run at and ask them before you do any major mods to your bike. Every track is different :shrug:

Can I run at either an NHRA or IHRA track. i dont care if there is a class just for quads. I want to race with bikes, sleds, and so on. i really appreciate the help. Did anyone have any input on the use of an airshifter? I cant wait for the first holeshot. My neighbors hate me already. I have got till spring to finish. You answered my main question with can you do it with a shee motor and frame. Now I am wondering if I can run at any track If I pass tech. Can someone show me what all I can chop off the frame. Maybe a pic with some drawings on it. I have somone already to make me an aluminum swingarm. Not sure if there is a length or width rule though. These are my main ques. now. Thanks .

If you can not get a override transmission right now. An air shifter with ignition kill will do wonders for you with a stock trans in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile. You can pin the throttle off the line and never let off. You just tap the shift button at each shift point and keep her pinned wide open. :biggrin:

A guy here at my home town shop said an airshifter will do it for you with no clutch. Just get a shift light. I was also told to gear it so I am in 6th through the traps at almost wound out. He said no sense leaving gears unused since I cant get a diff tranny right now. I was going to use huge gears and only use some of my gears. Then he brought it to my attention that a shee makes no torque so I will want to be in my rpm band as much as possible but not run out by end of the track. I have got a good idea of my approach. You guys help me out alot. Also. I was told to get a lockout. 1 ques. Does this keep the clutch from slipping? If not then why do I need it. Any used parts I may need? Post em if you do. Thanks guys.

You have got some very good advice and a very good tip was from Bigboybanshee. Check with your local tracks before even starting your project. We have ran many tracks (IHRA & NHRA) over the past 4 years. I always call a new track before going, some will let you run and some will not. We are built to the strictest rules (NHRA), but they mainly enforce the leather jacket, boots, glove, proper snell rated helmet, kill lanyard and chain guard. I think most don't enforce all of them because of their ignorance of the rules. If it was my quad, I would build it to the NHRA's rules. Even though they are restrictive, we have ran 10 seconds in the 1/4 with their rules.

AKA 1700camaro

You have got some very good advice and a very good tip was from Bigboybanshee. Check with your local tracks before even starting your project. We have ran many tracks (IHRA & NHRA) over the past 4 years. I always call a new track before going, some will let you run and some will not. We are built to the strictest rules (NHRA), but they mainly enforce the leather jacket, boots, glove, proper snell rated helmet, kill lanyard and chain guard. I think most don't enforce all of them because of their ignorance of the rules. If it was my quad, I would build it to the NHRA's rules. Even though they are restrictive, we have ran 10 seconds in the 1/4 with their rules.

AKA 1700camaro

Does nhra have a wheelbase limit. That seems to be what I have heard alot about outside of this forum. If so what is it. Thanks