I am interested in asphalt drags. 1/4 mile.

bbruischart

I read the post on planet asphault. I am not interested in this guys site. I want answers from the people I have begun to trust. Besides I went to that page. It sucks.No info that could get me started. I have no idea even where to begin or what to expect out of a stock cylinder, ported motor. I would probably go with the solid mount suspension. It seems to be the cheapest route. Really interested in this subject. Wondering how much motor could get me where if tuned right. Open to all information. Thanks guys.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the post on planet asphault. I am not interested in this guys site. I want answers from the people I have begun to trust. Besides I went to that page. It sucks.No info that could get me started. I have no idea even where to begin or what to expect out of a stock cylinder, ported motor. I would probably go with the solid mount suspension. It seems to be the cheapest route. Really interested in this subject. Wondering how much motor could get me where if tuned right. Open to all information. Thanks guys.

You've asked a tough question to answer. There is many routes to take but it really ends up with how much money do you want to spend and how fast do you want to go. Street or strip, how much time do you have on the seet and how big are your balls. lol. Give me alittle of that info and I pitch in my fair share of help and do the best I can. 1st couple pieces of advise I have is keep your mind open to what everyone tells you and find 1 builder to get the job done. Reason being is because when 1 guy does it all, when there is a problem, theres only 1 finger to point and normally that takes alot of gues work out of probblem solving. The other is being faithfull will take you along way with the builder you choose. Anyway, give me some info and I'll give you some feedback.

i started blacktop by bolting struts cut from square alum tubing in place of my shocks on my play drag dune bike, about 75 hp on gas. i went to the track thursday nights, street night.to my surprise i was running low 12`s.so i started lightening my bike up any way possible.started gettig better starts.bought slics and front scooter tire.

then over that winter i built a purpose built alky 350.+ 10 swinger. got me into the 11`s

i started blacktop by bolting struts cut from square alum tubing in place of my shocks on my play drag dune bike, about 75 hp on gas. i went to the track thursday nights, street night.to my surprise i was running low 12`s.so i started lightening my bike up any way possible.started gettig better starts.bought slics and front scooter tire.

then over that winter i built a purpose built alky 350.+ 10 swinger. got me into the 11`s

There is no dought about it, the best thing is putting the bike on a diet. All the motor in the world want help you if its strapped to a boat ancor

Personally, I would work with the stock suspension and ride it until I felt like the only reason I wasn't going faster was because the chasis was holding me back. This will prepare you also for when you build a bigger motor and it becomes more violent. BTW I have seen a stock frame solid strutted bike with alot of port work, still on gas and manually shifted run a 6.87. The frame had not been lightened at all, still ran the head lights. Hope this helps some.

I would like to maybe touch the elevens. I have big balls. I would like to cut her up and get rid of some weight. I was thinking a stock cylinder motor with port, reeds, big pipes, and all the other stuff. I just dont want to build a stroker right now. Just wondering what kind of motor would get me there. I will get any tires, sprockets, ignition and so on that I need. I just dont really want to build a huge motor yet. I would just like to start running some bikes at my local track. My whole family drag races and I just play in the sand. I was thinking of a change. I cant afford a race car and I only have a shed big enough for my shee.

Thanks. Any pics of frame setups would be appreciated. I really think I might do this.

I would like to maybe touch the elevens. I have big balls. I would like to cut her up and get rid of some weight. I was thinking a stock cylinder motor with port, reeds, big pipes, and all the other stuff. I just dont want to build a stroker right now. Just wondering what kind of motor would get me there. I will get any tires, sprockets, ignition and so on that I need. I just dont really want to build a huge motor yet. I would just like to start running some bikes at my local track. My whole family drag races and I just play in the sand. I was thinking of a change. I cant afford a race car and I only have a shed big enough for my shee.

Thanks. Any pics of frame setups would be appreciated. I really think I might do this.

Get "GOOD" light parts, swing arm, rims, a-arms and so on. The chassis diet will get you very close all by itself. Just like lastman said, that way once you start on the motor you will be ready for it. This will also allow you to learn your quad and how it reacts to things on the track. Theres nothing cheap about chassis but its the first step that you should not pass up.

i wish i never took this bike apart, 350, 64mm bore full drag port alky, 38mm tmx`s. marvins, rear strut, + 10 swinger.

gallery_1980_39_1100558211.jpg

full rigid chromoly frame 400 cheetah stock stroke, 39mm pwks on gas and nitrous. 6.0 flat in the 8th. 10`s in the quarter. bike weighed about 220 lbs.

gallery_1980_39_1113773068.jpg

i wish i never took this bike apart, 350, 64mm bore full drag port alky, 38mm tmx`s. marvins, rear strut, + 10 swinger.

gallery_1980_39_1100558211.jpg

full rigid chromoly frame 400 cheetah stock stroke, 39mm pwks on gas and nitrous. 6.0 flat in the 8th. 10`s in the quarter. bike weighed about 220 lbs.

gallery_1980_39_1113773068.jpg

What do you have now

You can get some pretty respectable times with a 350, best thing to do is like others mentioned. Put some solid struts on it and put your bike on a serious diet. Your thinking along the right path with your mods, that's a good way to start, its pretty much what I did :smile: Don't even bother with running the stock suspension, you'll lose quite a bit through weight transfer. You can either make some struts out of square tubing or buy some adjustable struts...I like the adjustable ones cause you can play around with different ride heights and find out what works best for your setup.

Here are some pics of my frame this year, we cut it up pretty good. I'll be happy to help out as much as I can, don't hesitate to ask questions :beer:

bikepics-987320-800.jpg

bikepics-987319-800.jpg

bikepics-987317-800.jpg

My 350 last year

bikepics-574837-full.jpg

bikepics-574835-full.jpg

Hey big boy, I really loved your bike in grey, have you thought about removing the rear subframe and replacing with small tube chromoly?

Back to the original point, I would think that a good diet and small engine with a stock ignition would be great for waht you want to do. I would add a small shot of NOS just for insurance and definately run on alcohol. Lately I have been playing with the rear shock off of a stock bike with a short swing arm and have been fairly impressed. I don't think I am losing to much in the takeoff. I don't have times yet, all testing so far has been done in the driveway, but I have high hopes, since nobody pays any attention to a bike with shocks.lol

Hey big boy, I really loved your bike in grey, have you thought about removing the rear subframe and replacing with small tube chromoly?

Yep, actually, if I don't end up getting an aftermarket chassis this winter, I'll be doing exactly that, getting a chromoly subframe. Thanks for the compliment!! :beer:

Travis have you done the weight loss research ? ...thats where i'm at & didn't know if it's worth it ...plus thats where my ass will be planted, don't know if i like that, though a lot have done it.

wow just noticed you removed the other 2 bars up front & rear sub. gusset too :shrug:

bikepics-925663-800.jpg

Edited by 375hp banshees

What do you have now

I have a .20 over shee with a 2into1 and 39 on it. I was going to get a drag port from a reputable builder on two strokes. Looking to put on solid struts. A longer swingarm. I also have a cool head. Was planning on adding a lockout clutch and air shifter. Other than that I would like to get used to it for a while. Just wanna go .20 over again on my new top if possible. Couple suspension ques. Can i run my stock a arms with them lowered like you do. Dont want to spend alot till i am sure its what i want. I need new rims I could maybe get a slight offset.

Thanks guys gotta go my wife yelling. Ill be back.