For the honda 250r guys

Sold my banshees a while back and its about time to buy another bike but first I Have a few questions for the guys that own honda 250r's and have done motor work on them. My parents know some guy that is selling a 86 250r. I talked to the guy on the phone today and he said that it spit the chain and busted the case on the left side and it doesnt hold oil. It was welded up once before and it spit the chain again and now its not weldable. I was told it has been sitting in the guys back yard for a couple years. I was wondering how hard it would be to split the cases and replace the half that is broken. Do you have to buy cases in pairs like the banshee or could I just buy a left side? What am I getting myself into here I have rebuilt banshee motors how difficult will it be to fix this problem.

What should I offer this guy for it, it is all stock no pipe or anything just stock parts, Needs new carrier bearings and it probly doesnt look the best because it has been outside for a few years. I was told that the motor was gone through before the chain damage but you know how that is, If there isnt recipts for the rebuild I dont believe it.

I Know I should have posted this in the off topic section but its kinda slow over there.

Edited by 96_banshee_96

well if its been sitting in back yard with broken /open case it prolly needs alot of work.. you would proly end up having to buy a full set of cases anyway but other parts prolly rusted from moisture .and lil note 250r cases dont split like a banshee case and heard there a bitch.. but this is just whati heard never tore one apart myself.. i know a banshee case has a top and a bottom.. a 250r case has a left side and a right side. so you might talk to someone who has actually tore cases apart on a r see what they say..

If the good side is flat. and the new side is flat you don't have to have "matched" case sets.

Go look at it. If it needs everything offer him $500 for it. Or less. Ask him what it will cost for you to drag it out of there.

It will need plastics, tires, and possibly some love inside the case. Figure $300 minimum to get the motor running again, $250 for plastics, $65 to recover the seat, $200 for tires Flush the fuel tank clean the carb (or rebuild as needed.)

$500 sounds fair to me.

And if you have split the cases on a banshee the 250R is not hard.

Just DO NOT TAKE THE CASSETTE(trans gears) APART. Take lots of digital pictures as you go

It will be a walk in the park with a service manual.

Edited by Toybreaker

yeah, as far as I know you can buy just the left case half. Buy a new seal kit and probably new bearings for that side and a new set of crank bearings if they are the least bit loose. Not from the broken case, just for GP. If you need cases or tranny parts let me know, I'll hook you up.

rebel

Sold my banshees a while back and its about time to buy another bike but first I Have a few questions for the guys that own honda 250r's and have done motor work on them. My parents know some guy that is selling a 86 250r. I talked to the guy on the phone today and he said that it spit the chain and busted the case on the left side and it doesnt hold oil. It was welded up once before and it spit the chain again and now its not weldable. I was told it has been sitting in the guys back yard for a couple years. I was wondering how hard it would be to split the cases and replace the half that is broken. Do you have to buy cases in pairs like the banshee or could I just buy a left side? What am I getting myself into here I have rebuilt banshee motors how difficult will it be to fix this problem.

What should I offer this guy for it, it is all stock no pipe or anything just stock parts, Needs new carrier bearings and it probly doesnt look the best because it has been outside for a few years. I was told that the motor was gone through before the chain damage but you know how that is, If there isnt recipts for the rebuild I dont believe it.

I Know I should have posted this in the off topic section but its kinda slow over there.

Hey bro, I have owned about 20 diff 250rs over the years and this is very common. first off to fix this right you are going to be replacing that case, which will require splitting the cases on the

motor. all new gaskets and seals. get a good casesaver and you shouldnt really have that problem again. its common though when u dont run a good chain and sprockets if the chains are loose or streched the play can throw them and 250rs dont have good chain guides like the banshee or other bikes.

hope that helps. bill at r-central.net can help you. U owe it to yourself to become a member on that site. tons of good info and tons of awesome helpful members.

Hey bro, I have owned about 20 diff 250rs over the years and this is very common. first off to fix this right you are going to be replacing that case, which will require splitting the cases on the

motor. all new gaskets and seals. get a good casesaver and you shouldnt really have that problem again. its common though when u dont run a good chain and sprockets if the chains are loose or streched the play can throw them and 250rs dont have good chain guides like the banshee or other bikes.

hope that helps. bill at r-central.net can help you. U owe it to yourself to become a member on that site. tons of good info and tons of awesome helpful members.

btw i have seen complete running 250rs for 1500-2500 in my neck of the woods.

4 years ago those bikes would fetch 3-7k. crazy where the markets gone.

btw i have seen complete running 250rs for 1500-2500 in my neck of the woods.

4 years ago those bikes would fetch 3-7k. crazy where the markets gone.

Yep...before the 450s came about...they were still in top demand....

I wish they'd just hurry up and make a 4 stroke banshee....the value of mine would TRIPLE....:)

LOL...yes, I'm kidding....