Engine Assembly

LiftdT4R

Ok, I should be getting my cylinders back this week, and I was planning on putting the top end back together. Just had 2 questions before I got started. This is my first Banshee top end assembly, I've done a few dirt bikes before.

In Clymer, they show a piston holder tool, and then show you how to make one out of wood. I was wondering if there was anywhere I could just buy one, or if you guys didn't even think it would be worth it to use one(never have on any of the other bikes I worked on)

Also, I had the cylinders PCed, and I took the coolant plugs out of the bottom. I bought new ones, and in Clymer they tell you to use Gasgacinch to re-install them. I couldnt find gasgacinch at Pep Boys or NAPA around here, and from what I've seen on the internet it looks like it is just High Temp Silicone. I was wondering what everyone else used if they did theirs.

As always, thanks, :beer:

Ok, I should be getting my cylinders back this week, and I was planning on putting the top end back together. Just had 2 questions before I got started. This is my first Banshee top end assembly, I've done a few dirt bikes before.

In Clymer, they show a piston holder tool, and then show you how to make one out of wood. I was wondering if there was anywhere I could just buy one, or if you guys didn't even think it would be worth it to use one(never have on any of the other bikes I worked on)

Also, I had the cylinders PCed, and I took the coolant plugs out of the bottom. I bought new ones, and in Clymer they tell you to use Gasgacinch to re-install them. I couldnt find gasgacinch at Pep Boys or NAPA around here, and from what I've seen on the internet it looks like it is just High Temp Silicone. I was wondering what everyone else used if they did theirs.

As always, thanks, :beer:

hey man,

a piston holder for what purpose? i've had 2 top ends apart and back together and never had to use anything other than my hands to hold things in place. is it to keep the crank in place while you're sliding the jugs on? in any case, if you've done dirtbike topends you'll be fine.

not sure about the other thing...sorry.

matt

Yep, that's what it looks like its for, I didn't know if it was something special about a banshee or what, but it looks like it doesn't let the crank turn over when your pushing the piston down, I guess maybe it makes it easier to keep the rings around the pins. I havent had any problems on the bikes Ive done, usually the crank is hard enough to turn over where you don't even have to hold them.

you donthave to use that to get the top end back on.. its just to keep it from turning over on you... get someone to give you a hand and have them hold the other side still... might take a few extra mins but its not hard to do... you just got to compress the ring and push the jug down... once you get it all lined up use the othre rod to make the piston slide in place...