paint plastic?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive got a buddy who just bought a shee with painted plastics?? it looks good now but surely wont stand the test of time. anybody done this?

I agree with bansh-eman, you will have to take all the play out of it by cutting fenders, but of course fiberglass is always the way to go when you want to paint the shee different colors.

Painting plastics is not as outrageous as it may seem. If you crash, its gonna get messed up. If you take care of your bikes, it will be fine... My bro (ghostrider on HQ)paints bikes and they hold up very well. Here is a couple bikes he as done.

2007_0702Raptor0066.jpg

2007_0809Raptor0143.jpg

2007_0809Raptor0145.jpg

All i gotta say is if your good at painting like the last pics let me know i'll send you my plastics to get done...

The pics I posted do my bros paint no justice at all. It looks 10 times better in person. You would have to PM Ghostrider on here to figure out about getting something painted.

The pics I posted do my bros paint no justice at all. It looks 10 times better in person. You would have to PM Ghostrider on here to figure out about getting something painted.

Alright, i was thinking about getting new plastics before i did any painting. Mine are still the original plastics there a little banged up.

before you waste your money on painting them make sure you cut them first. if you have abunch of play and they bounce around your paints going to crack and start peeling. also if your looking at getting some major detailed shit done, painting might not be your best option money wise. look into wrapping them if thats the case.

before you waste your money on painting them make sure you cut them first. if you have abunch of play and they bounce around your paints going to crack and start peeling. also if your looking at getting some major detailed shit done, painting might not be your best option money wise. look into wrapping them if thats the case.

Id agree 100% with that. I would NEVER paint a full set, they wobble too much and will crack the paint for sure.

The bike in my sig is painted and has been for about 5 years or so. It needs to be redone, maybe this winter, but it held up really well. The back fenders near the bolt holes by the seat is showing some cracks but other than that it still looks outstanding.

• 4 weeks later...

not trying to steal the post or anything. but did anyone ever hear about having your bike covered in a sticker? there is this place by my house that puts stickers on cars. im talking the whole car gets done up in a sticker, with some type of theme, like a outback steakhouse theme. i was told they can take your plastic and heat shrink a giant sticker to it. adding any emblems, tags, stickers, whatever you want for no extra cost. im guessing they only sticker the top part of the plastic so you would still have to keep your stock colors. but if its a high gloss sticker with all your stock emblems printed in the sticker it may look bad ass. you wont have to worry about blasting off any of your stickers either cause its all burnt into one. not sure if what i hear is true and im not sure how much this would cost just curious if any of you have seen/heard about it

I dont know about a sticker, but you can get vinyl wrap. The orange tank and rad cover part of my wifes banshee is vinyl for now. Its getting painted now, but the pic is vinyl.

2007_0519Raptor0004.jpg

I do alot of painting myself, custom paint on boats, cars, trucks, really whatever is thrown my way. You CAN paint the plastics, but like everyone said, any flexing, rubbing, bolt holes, edges etc. are going to be the first things to peel and chip. If you take care of your bike it would be fine for a few years. To be honest, I do enough trail riding that I'm going to have a local shop do what the call a "wrap" or "bodywrap" on it. I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to as a sticker or not, but it would definately be the way to go. What they do is print ANYTHING you want onto the vynil, in any color wether it be pictures, logos, decals, writing, flames, lighning bolts etc. etc. They heat it and wrap it around your plastics, then they come back with a thick, clear vynil that acts like a clearcoat on a car. It protects your graphics and withstands alot of abuse. A wrap is said to last as long as a paint job on the average car or truck (8 to 10 years) Depending on how you care for it and if it's left out in the sun or not. Besides that, if you screw it up in a small spot, or have to replace plastics, all they have to do is reprint and wrap the new plastic or piece in the scratch or whatever and you're back on the road within a day or two versus waiting weeks and spending an A$$load of cash on custom painting!

I'll post pics when I get mine done in the next month or so.. :thumbsup:

When it came time for me to get my plastics painted...I guess I took the cheap route and painted them myself. They where white, I sanded them all down and then painted gloss black. Had this colour for oh about a year and then today just finished up painting them silver. Now with do it yourself painting, you wont get near the detail as theshee's brother...but maybe its just something simple you would like to do on your own.

First day home

Picture004.jpg

Front done:

B120.jpg

Rears:

B144.jpg

This afternoon:

DSC03087.jpg

Tonight:

Banshee14.jpg