bad a$$ stock cyln motor

kawiking

What exactley is a tripple ported cylinder. And if im correct, aren't tripple ported cylinders where they cut ports into the sides of the intake ports? And if so ive had a banshee like that for over 5 years and its very reliable. And im getting my banshee done that way right now from dean sundahl.

No...triple ported have a smaller exhaust port cut on either side of the main exhaust port.

You're talking about boost ports, finger ports or "boysen" ports...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...triple ported have a smaller exhaust port cut on either side of the main exhaust port.

You're talking about boost ports, finger ports or "boysen" ports...

Yeah i knew they were called boost ports.

how much motor do u need for a lock up clutch ?? pro's and cons

Once you get around 100HP, it's a good idea. There are alternatives, like running a different basket and more plates, but I think most of those require some mods to the clutch cover too.

I think the reason to build up a stock cylinder bike though is for the sleeper look, or the nostalgia factor. Both of those would be reason enough for me to look for an alternative. If you are building a stock stroke, stock cylinder motor, I think it would be pretty easy to elminate the need for the lockup honestly.

Once you get around 100HP, it's a good idea. There are alternatives, like running a different basket and more plates, but I think most of those require some mods to the clutch cover too.

I think the reason to build up a stock cylinder bike though is for the sleeper look, or the nostalgia factor. Both of those would be reason enough for me to look for an alternative. If you are building a stock stroke, stock cylinder motor, I think it would be pretty easy to elminate the need for the lockup honestly.

Bruce...no offense...

But you probably haven't seen a good running OEM cylinder on alky.

"round here, A&S, RDZ and the old GRR motors would be pretty useless without a lockup and override...

Those guys push mid to upper 90s on stock bore/stroke motors on methanol, and they move out.

However, on that note as well... My 4 mil cub on gas last year didn't slip with Jeff from FAST's clutch and 6HD springs.

It was 95ish on HP. It sure didn't shift worth a shit, though...

For the price of a 8 or 9 disk hinson basket setup, you could buy a forged basket (aftermarket other than hinson) a lockout clutch AND a lockout cover for cheaper...

Bruce...no offense...

But you probably haven't seen a good running OEM cylinder on alky.

"round here, A&S, RDZ and the old GRR motors would be pretty useless without a lockup and override...

Those guys push mid to upper 90s on stock bore/stroke motors on methanol, and they move out.

However, on that note as well... My 4 mil cub on gas last year didn't slip with Jeff from FAST's clutch and 6HD springs.

It was 95ish on HP. It sure didn't shift worth a shit, though...

For the price of a 8 or 9 disk hinson basket setup, you could buy a forged basket (aftermarket other than hinson) a lockout clutch AND a lockout cover for cheaper...

Dave,

Geesh, you make it sound like I need to drive out to Michigan to see a stock cylinder bike run. There are some good people in my area too, shit cam's even got a set of his 350 triple ports that I was looking at the other day that dyno'd around 95. How long were those motors running before lockouts even came out? Were they useless then?

If you read my post again, I said if I were building a stock cylinder bike, it would be a sleeper or for nostalgia, and wouldn't want to run a lockout. I ran my 4mm cub that dyno'd over 100HP for half a season on my tusk clutch and stock basket, dyno'd it several times......no slip. I went to a lockup, because I got a good deal on it, and liked the bling factor, since my bike was caked with billet and chrome at the time.

a general rule for banshees is the more exhaust area the more power your going to make but of coarse theres a limit to this concept ,virtually every modern 2 stroke engine uses this design with sub exhaust ports so that the pressure is dramaticly dropped at the right time in the stroke and closed off when the it needs to build up .I have added dual sub ports to single ex port cylinders before ,not only is a terrible bitch and time consuming task(and dangerous lol) but you have the disadvantage of added heat and possible coolant leaks,I think its a really neat idea and with the right parts and setup they can make as much as a stock stroke cub or about any 4mill ,but at what cost ????wil lit be worth it to you ? it will realisticly cost the same or more than a a cub monoblock would and youd have the risk of cooling and leaking issues and not to mention the added wear to the iron sleeve which have a limited life span as it is .i would recommned a stock stroke 358 cub or drag ported 4mill oem jugs ,i n the right hands they can run right with a 421 cub.my 2 pennies

Edited by rocketboy

If you are building a stock stroke, stock cylinder motor, I think it would be pretty easy to elminate the need for the lockup honestly.

I'm pretty sure I can read....your memory going a little south? Maybe I read it wrong, but...it is what it is...

There were good running triple ports out there before lockouts? C'mon...say it ain't so...

I'm sure they just used extra clutch plates, different baskets, and STIFF as all hell clutch springs....where there's a will there's a way I guess...

There are also a lot more reasons to need a lockup than just HP as well.

Rider weight, riding surfaces, extended clutch life, etc. play a part as well.

I'm pretty sure I can read....your memory going a little south? Maybe I read it wrong, but...it is what it is...

There were good running triple ports out there before lockouts? C'mon...say it ain't so...

I'm sure they just used extra clutch plates, different baskets, and STIFF as all hell clutch springs....where there's a will there's a way I guess...

stiff springs like mine Dave???.....lol

mine look like small block chevy valve springs

im fixing that tomorrow

Dan

Edited by BansheeDan

You crack me up, man. Seriously.

The fact that we both like banshees is amazing to me.

I Like how when I launch my banshee with the lockup it slipps a little off the line. I am just running OEM yamaha springs. :thumbsup:

You crack me up, man. Seriously.

The fact that we both like banshees is amazing to me.

I don't like banshees...didn't you read the poll? I'd rather get naked and ride my dog....LOL.

Bruce...it's all good. If I didn't bust your ballz once in a while who would?

You know I respect you and your knowledge....

:wink:

www.herrjugsracing.com -drag port, milled/rechambered head, +8 timing, 34mm pj's/alchy, shearer outframes, reed spacers, VF3's, K&N pods, lightened flywheel, shift star mod, pancake bearing, racing clutch w/ 3 hd springs. You're looking around $1700 for all that listed.