Sand Drags in MI this weekend

Three of us have very, very close races. One is a stock stroke cub, been heavily massaged by a local guru, JT's 4 mil and my 10mil...we are all very close to each other.

Bigger is not always better....or at least I keep telling the old lady that...not sure if she's listening, though...LOL.

Off race weekend rentals pop up. Could be a big turnout, could be small. Although the 3 times so far this year have been good turnouts. 18 to 32 bikes I'd say...makes for fun racing, on and off the track.

The race event calendar can be found here:

http://www.bobsfamilyraceway.com/calender.htm

So far my lil 4mil has been running pretty impressive. I wasn't expecting it to run as good as it is. I'm trying like hell to get it down into the 4.1's Closest I've had it so far was a 4.21 @ albright and a 4.22 @Bobs. The more I run it the better I'm gettin with my 60's I'm gonna try some gearing changes and bump my timing up and see what happens. I just want to break into the 4.1's before season is done.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far my lil 4mil has been running pretty impressive. I wasn't expecting it to run as good as it is. I'm trying like hell to get it down into the 4.1's Closest I've had it so far was a 4.21 @ albright and a 4.22 @Bobs. The more I run it the better I'm gettin with my 60's I'm gonna try some gearing changes and bump my timing up and see what happens. I just want to break into the 4.1's before season is done.

I have faith you'll get there. I'm trying for 4.2's myself....will be happy this year with that, no wheelie bar and a fat boy on board.

Nate has got that bike moving for sure.

Ask Nate, but I've always run a lot of timing on my 10 mil, and my 4 mil REALLY loved a ton of timing...

I'm talking 8 to 10 degrees on the plate...

Just remember...make sure it has plenty of fuel before you start upping the timing!!

Definately right, Nates motors like the timing. I believe mine is at +10. The bike consistantly runs 4.0`s with me on it @ 255lbs +, gearing still isnt 100% yet. But I am NOT complaining at all.

Mine is at 7 right now because I make too many back to back passes with out cooling down. I'm gonna burry the plate at full advance wich should be around 11 or so.. I'll just have to keep a eye on my temp.

Edited by Fouledout420

im really kicking myself i didnt come out and watch you guys...it sounds like its a definite good time...if you guys get the track on the 18th ill definitly come out and watch and learn before i attempt to run! anybody get a pics or video from saturda?

Go to page 6 of this thread...I posted a few pics yesterday...

Shane...I think my plate is 5 or 6, and I go more with my dyna.

Probably off topic, but half of my intake screws started to loosen up, gotta tighten those babies!!!

Fouledout, Are you running alky ???

I only have straight water in mine on alky and have made back to back passes before without a problem.

Now if your running lean.......... Thats heat foresure

Dajogejr, Thanks for the offer again. I should be alright, that track isnt too far away. If I cant bring the bike up, I might just show up to hang and meet some new faces

Edited by dynodon

As long as he isnt running on the lean side, he shouldnt have to worry about it getting to hot then.

Well I'm just going by what Nate told me.. When I race in the dunes I make ALOT of passes.. probably around 7-10 passes at a time. I wasn't trying for best times at that time more just getting used to the bike. So I didn't want to take a chance on it detonating. I'm going to max the plate and keep an eye on it next time out. Since I got the cover off I'm going to try my lightend flywheel and see if that helps things a bit too. I'm going to make quite a few changes this time out.

The raeson I ask, Is that if you are a heavier guy like myself. Then your gonna want the"stock" Unlightened flywheel. You will need the extra rotating mass for a launch...... Trust me, I found a HUGE difference from a lightened one that I started out with compared to the heavier one that I have now.

And get out your wallet...they are EXPENSIVE...but very nice! And much lighter than they look...I think Brady said it was an ounce or two heavier than same length, 'moly...

You can't easily put a wheelie bar on it...though, so...figure that in if you must.

looks like he needs a longer one or one w/ a bar, he just needs to sell that one :whistling:

The raeson I ask, Is that if you are a heavier guy like myself. Then your gonna want the"stock" Unlightened flywheel. You will need the extra rotating mass for a launch...... Trust me, I found a HUGE difference from a lightened one that I started out with compared to the heavier one that I have now.

I'm right at 200 Don, I'm familiar with the whole holeshot-inertia theory. I'm not having the slightest trouble gettin off the line in 2nd with 15/40 gearing so I thought I'd gear to 14/40 or 15/42 and run the lightend flywheel and see if I can get through the gears quicker. I atleast gotta try it.. Wont know how it works until I do right?

Nate was the one who told me that full advance on the plate would make heat buildup a issue. he said 7-8 advance for dune racing and full advance for track but keep it cold.. So thats why I left it at 7-8 because I was out in the dunes most of the summer with it.. So.. now that I'm pretty much done with the dunes for the year.. Its time to see what shee can do! :biggrin:

Thats about the same as he told me . I never been to the dunes, So I have mine @ +10 all along.

My gearing is 15/39 with a stock flywheel Launching hard still, I could probably get away with dropping the back, or jumping up on the front 1 tooth.

I have never seen your bike, so I cant say foresure that it will hurt you. In my case it did, BUT I also have a streyched ridgid chassis W/ bar. I say anything is worth a try !!!!

Nate knows his shit, I trust his judgement 100%. I never thought I would be hitting 4.0`s.