Installing new pro-x pistons and rings

Hi all.

Just had my cylinders cleaned up with a .020 over bore and hone, as well as some minor porting and polishing. Machinist dialed me in with a new set of pro-x cast pistons and rings. These new pro-x pistons appear identical to the old stock pistons. However, the old pistons didn't have this little bent(stop sign like) expander ring that came with these new pistons and the RIK ring set. Do I need to, or should I install this little bent expander ring on the new pro-x pistons?

Thanks for any advice,

N8

Hi all.

Just had my cylinders cleaned up with a .020 over bore and hone, as well as some minor porting and polishing. Machinist dialed me in with a new set of pro-x cast pistons and rings. These new pro-x pistons appear identical to the old stock pistons. However, the old pistons didn't have this little bent(stop sign like) expander ring that came with these new pistons and the RIK ring set. Do I need to, or should I install this little bent expander ring on the new pro-x pistons?

Thanks for any advice,

N8

I believe you are talking about a circlip that retain the piston pin? If that is the case, then yes, you need to install it.

For anyone else who is reading this, I have a personal opinion about these criclips being better than most of the circlips that come with other pistons. It would be interesting to see if they are interchangeable with Wiseco circlips. I personally use real i.d. snap rings, but that's a whole other story. :geek:

I believe you are talking about a circlip that retain the piston pin? If that is the case, then yes, you need to install it.

For anyone else who is reading this, I have a personal opinion about these criclips being better than most of the circlips that come with other pistons. It would be interesting to see if they are interchangeable with Wiseco circlips. I personally use real i.d. snap rings, but that's a whole other story. :geek:

No. I'm not talking about the circlips that retain the wrist pin in the piston, I'm talking about this funny stop sign like shaped bent expander ring of some sort that comes with the RIK ring set. There is only one per ring kit. Does this need to be installed in one of the ring grooves in the piston prior to installing the rings?

Thanks,

N8

I did a set of these pistons about 2 years ago in my bike and don't know what you are refering to...got some pics?

Good choice on pistons, they are a good cast piston, you dont have to warm up your bike like with a forged piston...just fire up and ride hard :thumbsup:

I did a set of these pistons about 2 years ago in my bike and don't know what you are refering to...got some pics?

Good choice on pistons, they are a good cast piston, you dont have to warm up your bike like with a forged piston...just fire up and ride hard :thumbsup:

dont have to warm your bike up :ohmy:

sounds scary to me riding hard on a motor thats not fully warmed up :shrug:

hey,

i put some new rings on my PRO-X pistons a couple months ago....i was confused on the ring you're talking about too. the old rings didn't have it in them so i didn't put it in. so far, no problems...that's 4 good rides totaling about 30 hours.

matt

Hi all.

Thanks for any advice,

N8

dont have to warm your bike up :ohmy:

sounds scary to me riding hard on a motor thats not fully warmed up :shrug:

I am pretty sure warming up and gasoline or alcohol fueled engine has warming it up before use as a best practice, especially on cooling systems without thermostats. :geek:

post a pic

:biggrin:

I'm assuming that because no one knows what little bent expander like ring I'm talking about, I take that as a no, it doesn't need to be installed. My stock pistons didn't have it installed on them.

I have no means of getting you folks a pic at the moment. Sorry.

hey,

i put some new rings on my PRO-X pistons a couple months ago....i was confused on the ring you're talking about too. the old rings didn't have it in them so i didn't put it in. so far, no problems...that's 4 good rides totaling about 30 hours.

matt

Yep, that's it. You follow me. Maybe you could post a pic of it for us?

I found a pic

Wow, what the hell is that? Disregard what I said about a circlip previously as what is in you picture is not what I was thinking on. It looks like the thing you have is some sort of secondary ring control to prevent the bottom ring from walking around (others use pins in the ring groove for this), but I am not sure what you have there. Maybe someone on here that is more informed than I knows what that's for. :ermm:

PRO-X pistions have the pins too....i couldn't figure out what they were for....so, i didn't use 'em.

Wow, what the hell is that? Disregard what I said about a circlip previously as what is in you picture is not what I was thinking on. It looks like the thing you have is some sort of secondary ring control to prevent the bottom ring from walking around (others use pins in the ring groove for this), but I am not sure what you have there. Maybe someone on here that is more informed than I knows what that's for. :ermm:

PRO-X pistions have the pins too....i couldn't figure out what they were for....so, i didn't use 'em.

I sm intrigued now, one of you guys ought to call Pro-X customer service and ask what they are for? Having parts left over out of something like that would make me nervous. :ermm:

Look like the expander to hold tension on bottom ring goes in groove than ring goes over it. oldschool Firehead it is like the holes drilled in the top of the piston that use comp to hold the ring out to seal the ring under load